EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #111
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
I don't yet have the car to test this, but you *may* be able to navigate to the HUD option and program one of your 1-8 numbers to switch between the two views.
That is actually good thinking. I've already tried this in the past for my M5 and it says cannot be stored. But if anyone with an F80/2 can confirm that would be cool if they allowed that. I've always wanted a separate switch to flip thru the two modes vs. going thru the iDrive menu.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #112
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
It's one of the settings that can't be assigned to 1-8 keys
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #113
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
That is actually good thinking. I've already tried this in the past for my M5 and it says cannot be stored. But if anyone with an F80/2 can confirm that would be cool if they allowed that. I've always wanted a separate switch to flip thru the two modes vs. going thru the iDrive menu.
M1 vs. M2 buttons can do that (I have regular HUD view on "soft" M1 settings, and M view on "track" M2 settings). HUD settings are not stored in 1...8 buttons that are reserved for radio stations and navigation destinations.

I do randomly dip into M2 mode on the street, but find ///M view a bit too garish. Coupled with removal of all references to radio stations and other controls, I may just reset my M2 "track" settings to use regular HUD mode in the future. But not just yet.

a
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #114
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
1-8 buttons aren't reserved for radio and nav. You can assign some iDrive views to it, like sport displays, efficient dynamics, etc. HUD configuration is not one of them however.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #115
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
1-8 buttons aren't reserved for radio and nav. You can assign some iDrive views to it, like sport displays, efficient dynamics, etc. HUD configuration is not one of them however.
yup - only way to pick M-mode is to use iDrive to configure your M buttons - there's no independant way to access the HUD view.

There are other things you can't store in quick access 1-8, but that you can still get to. For example you can set one of the quick access button to go to your climate settings; this way when you shut off the car you can hit the QA button which will tell your iDrive to go to climate settings, and then pick 'comfort ventilation' ... but you can't store 'comfort ventilation' directly to QA button.

In other words, for some functions you can get close enough for it to not matter. in the case of the HUD all you could do was get close to setting in your M1/2 buttons but then you'd have re-config'd your M1/2 button just to turn it on.

Very annoying to have abundant but useless flexibility.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #116
TomBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F82 M4 ///DCT

You must have a special M4, mine doesn't turn Orange at night like my 650i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
It doesn't auto dim, but it does change from white to orange if your lights are off/on. So, in a way it does adjust based on outside light (assuming you have your lights set to 'auto') but it's not dim, it's just color, as orange is easier on the eyes at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #117
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBMW View Post
You must have a special M4, mine doesn't turn Orange at night like my 650i did.
Sure it does, just slap on a pair of BlueBlockers and it will appear orange!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #118
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

It sounds like some polarized lenses work and others don't from reading through this thread.

Polarization is usually oriented in one direction. As far as I remember, for sunglasses, the direction of polarization filters out light that is mostly horizontal.

Some polarized glasses may have the polarization direction oriented slightly differently and therefore don't filter out the light from the HUD.

You can check out the direction of polarization by using two pairs of polarized sunglasses. Hold one pair over the other (the lenses parallel) and slowly turn it. When it is completely black when you look through the lenses, the polarization directions are perpendicular.