BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #45
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
naa, you are the one who is wrong. I take it you have an E46 M3 and have tested different intakes as well as reverse-engineered the stock airbox?
Your statement about the E46 M3 is true, but there's an extra piece to that puzzel, the individual throttle bodies. They are the reason that it's so hard to squeaze power out of that cars intake setup, it's already very free flowing, and because for all intents and purposes the intake plenum IS the airbox, it's tricky to remove and replace it without upsetting the flow.

It is fair to say that generally speaking more flow+colder air=more power.

However, I agree with you that I'll probably be sticking with the stock airbox with a higher flowing drop-in initially until I get to the point where an intake will buy me some more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #46
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
I wish they would show a picture of it

I emailed a couple of companies about it. Just waiting on responses now.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #47
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

^ it is a set of new inlet ducts and a different cover of the air box. The bottom portion is supposed to remain stock, it will come with a different style filter as well. Probably similar to the one we are finishing up now that is a foam core filter.

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #48
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

You really need to be able to monitor intake temps to see if anyhting is making a big difference for temperature.

Almost any better flowing filter, whatever type, will show better top end (horsepower) on the dyno.

The AEM bypass is claimed to prevent hydrolock...

And the tubing itself can also kill a CAI...

It the tubing is exposed, especially metal, it will just heat soak at idle. There are some wraps, materials better suited, but can be $$$.

I also wouldnt rule out the possibility you guys could 'modify' the stocker - i.e., cut restrictive plastic out of the tract, better drop-in panel (my favorite is amsoil paper), cut out restrictive sound deadening apparatus, etc, or make some type of DIY ducting.

CAI's in very cold environments, winter, can also lead to boost creep, so you gotta keep a close eye on boost levels.... so get a boost gauge!

CAI can effect idle if it causes turbulence in the intake tract before the MAF sensor, or if the tube size where the MAF sensor attaches is different than stock. If that doesnt work most tuners can 'tune' the MAF to some degree.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #49
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Anyhow good thing that the 1 series is out. It will attract the tuner (racer) crowd so this car can be taken to a different level.Im new to the BMW crowd but I feel that not a lot of people are willing to try out new stuff. I started with honda's and a lot of people were trying different things. Sure it gets expensive but R&D has risks. I hear people say its a BMW i'm not going to risk of reaking something . For me its not a valid point for me(being an Audi driver for the last 4 years). You gotta pay to play otherwise leave the car stock or wait until BMW offer their full range of overpriced parts(yes it will be under warranty but still). I'm happy to see that we got ex Honda-Subaru-VW guys, that will help to speed up the aftermarket R&D.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #50
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Anyhow good thing that the 1 series is out. It will attract the tuner (racer) crowd so this car can be taken to a different level.Im new to the BMW crowd but I feel that not a lot of people are willing to try out new stuff. I started with honda's and a lot of people were trying different things. Sure it gets expensive but R&D has risks. I hear people say its a BMW i'm not going to risk of reaking something . For me its not a valid point for me(being an Audi driver for the last 4 years). You gotta pay to play otherwise leave the car stock or wait until BMW offer their full range of overpriced parts(yes it will be under warranty but still). I'm happy to see that we got ex Honda-Subaru-VW guys, that will help to speed up the aftermarket R&D.
i wouldn't say i'm an ex-anything... i haven't given up on vw or audi... lets just say this BMW is a test drive for the make. I never really thought that i'd own a BMW... but do have a similar attitude as you. This car is going to be for driving to work, but i'm going to have to do some modifications
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #51
frank2287
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

hate to change subject but the flap in the exhaust how do you take it out or eliminate it?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #52
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
I hear you. I'm from the Honda crowd. My last three cars were hondas, the most recent being an S2000. I do feel like the non-bmw enthusiasts buying 1's will speed up the modding process. Should be fun.

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0