Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

After latest firmware update, car has play in steering wheel at stop.

Just took my car home from the dealership, had some connectivity issues with my Pixel 2 and they updated my car to the latest ISTEP version.
Noticed immediately my steering was A LOT lighter with the new firmware. Sport Plus feels like Sport, and Sport feels like Efficient, so on.

Another thing I noticed was at a stop, the wheel has about 1 inch of play in both directions where it feels like it's not connected to anything. As soon as I start moving, steering tightens up and the play disappears. Anybody have this???

Last thing I noticed was the exhaust seems quieter, and I hear a lot more induction noise from the engine bay. Sounds almost like if I have an open element filter. Lots of wooshing and sucking sounds.

Overall great update to the car, just a little concern about the play in the wheel at a stop.

Last edited by DanMpower; 04-22-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
bedboy
Rep
Drives: 330i

It's normal. I got from day 1. If you using start/stop. That play let you move steering and start the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedboy View Post
It's normal. I got from day 1. If you using start/stop. That play let you move steering and start the car.
Thanks bedboy, I guess I never really noticed it before. Good to know it's normal.
Appreciate 0