forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Middle Consol compartment door stuck

11-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Nothing inside. No issue to close before I left the car. When return, I could not open more than 1/2 inch. Possible to DIY fix it or I have to make a trip to dealership? Will this covered by warranty? Only 2 weeks old. If so, Can I go to any Authorized bmw dealer for warranty service? Or it has to be the dealer where I bought car from?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Any dealer should work. Not sure about your issue though.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpanjy View Post
Nothing inside. No issue to close before I left the car. When return, I could not open more than 1/2 inch. Possible to DIY fix it or I have to make a trip to dealership? Will this covered by warranty? Only 2 weeks old. If so, Can I go to any Authorized bmw dealer for warranty service? Or it has to be the dealer where I bought car from?

Thanks.
This is covered under warranty. Any BMW dealer will take care of it.

It looks like you coded your vehicle based on the color of your ambient lighting. Either that or BMW has started adding my colors to their ambient lighting options. If you did code it you might want to change the color back to a stock color before bringing it in just in case they try to hassle you about modifying the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
This is covered under warranty. Any BMW dealer will take care of it.

It looks like you coded your vehicle based on the color of your ambient lighting. Either that or BMW has started adding my colors to their ambient lighting options. If you did code it you might want to change the color back to a stock color before bringing it in just in case they try to hassle you about modifying the car.
Thanks.

I did not code ambient color. There are many color option to choose from the screen. What's the default color? I can charge it back just in case.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

I did not code ambient color. There are many color option to choose from the screen. What's the default color? I can charge it back just in case.
No. Your fine unless you bought the car from someone else who may have coded it. That color that's in your photo wasn't available on the 2020 X7. The default color is orange I believe.

Would you mind taking a picture of all the available colors you have on your vehicle so we can all see what colors were added since 2020?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No. Your fine unless you bought the car from someone else who may have coded it. That color that's in your photo wasn't available on the 2020 X7. The default color is orange I believe.

Would you mind taking a picture of all the available colors you have on your vehicle so we can all see what colors were added since 2020?
I will send to you later. Wife uses the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
swarick
Private
Rep
Drives: x7

My center console door got stuck as well. My phone was stuck inside. They told me my phone had moved out of the charging cradle and was laying lengthwise in the cradle obstructing the door
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #8
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
My center console door got stuck as well. My phone was stuck inside. They told me my phone had moved out of the charging cradle and was laying lengthwise in the cradle obstructing the door
That's one of my fear if my wife got her phone or car key stuck in behind.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
swarick
Private
Rep
Drives: x7

I just throw mine in the small storage space below the headlight switches now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is covered under warranty. Any It looks like you coded your vehicle based on the color of your ambient lighting. Either that or BMW has started adding my colors to their ambient lighting options. If you did code it you might want to change the color back to a stock color before bringing it in just in case they try to hassle you about modifying the car.
I think you are giving the techs and/or SA’s at the dealer way too much credit for noticing something like this (and then doing anything about it detrimental to the owner)…. I have never coded my cars back to stock when going to the dealer for any type of work, warranty or otherwise, without issue. This includes when software updates were done by the dealer so when they return the car back to me there is something that is definitely “different” than when I gave them the car for the work...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I think you are giving the techs and/or SA’s at the dealer way too much credit for noticing something like this (and then doing anything about it detrimental to the owner)…. I have never coded my cars back to stock when going to the dealer for any type of work, warranty or otherwise, without issue. This includes when software updates were done by the dealer so when they return the car back to me there is something that is definitely “different” than when I gave them the car for the work...
I've brought my X7 into the dealer, after I've coded it, since I've owned the car. They've never said a word and I've had to re code after every update. Both dealer and OTA.

However, there are many unscrupulous cut throat dealers that will take every opportunity to try and deny warranty service because the customer modified the car. Even though most laws prevent that unless they can prove it contributed to the warranty claim.

Unfortunately, most uninformed customers would probably just bend over and take it if the dealer told them that.

Rare as that may be, We're conversing in a global forum where some countries WILL look for this kind of modification. As a safe practice, I always change my ambient lighting to one of the default colors, and change my Instrument cluster back to the default before bringing it into service. But I do leave my Auto Start/Stop coding enabled. You'd think they'd notice that right off the bat when they're moving it around but they don't.

I'm also pretty confident they would notice if I left my instrument cluster coded with the Alpina blue background.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #12
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I've brought my X7 into the dealer, after I've coded it, since I've owned the car. They've never said a word and I've had to re code after every update. Both dealer and OTA.

However, there are many unscrupulous cut throat dealers that will take every opportunity to try and deny warranty service because the customer modified the car. Even though most laws prevent that unless they can prove it contributed to the warranty claim.

Unfortunately, most uninformed customers would probably just bend over and take it if the dealer told them that.

Rare as that may be, We're conversing in a global forum where some countries WILL look for this kind of modification. As a safe practice, I always change my ambient lighting to one of the default colors, and change my Instrument cluster back to the default before bringing it into service. But I do leave my Auto Start/Stop coding enabled. You'd think they'd notice that right off the bat when they're moving it around but they don't.

I'm also pretty confident they would notice if I left my instrument cluster coded with the Alpina blue background.
BTW, what's the most recently recent version of idrive system do you guys have?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks.

Here is the color list
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here is the color list
Thanks for posting the photos. Looks to me like your car has been coded. The color you are showing in your first photo on the console lighting looks like aquamarine to me. That color isn't showing in any of the screen shots you are showing here. It could just be your camera/phone. Maybe what you posted in your first photo is actually green but it doesn't look green to me in your picture.

When the car is coded with Bimmercode you have to sacrifice one of the original colors in the default color pallet to one of several color options available through Bimmercode. Aquamarine is one of those color options which is what the color looks like in your first picture.

Mine is coded. Take note that I changed the "Bronze" option to aquamarine even though the radio button selection still says "Bronze".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0