forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Subwoofer

02-14-2024, 10:40 AM   #23
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Does anyone know which harness I should buy from Technic PNP? I sent them an email with no response. Do I need a LOC based on the below?

https://technicpnp.com/product/bw-op...-systems-copy/

I just want to plug this in, grab power from the rear battery, then wire it to this JBL Basspro Hub (which has an amp built in and has a ton of inputs on the side).

https://a.co/d/eBqOmay

What am I missing? That's basically what I did on my E-class, am I over simplifying what has to happen here?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:26 AM   #24
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Does anyone know which harness I should buy from Technic PNP? I sent them an email with no response. Do I need a LOC based on the below?

I just want to plug this in, grab power from the rear battery, then wire it to this JBL Basspro Hub (which has an amp built in and has a ton of inputs on the side).

What am I missing? That's basically what I did on my E-class, am I over simplifying what has to happen here?
That's the right harness assuming it matches the option code on your window sticker. I'd opt for the one that supports gain adjustment.
On the surface, it sounds simple, but I really think it comes down to the harness. As long as it's plug-and-play, then it should be pretty easy. But I think you're navigating uncharted territory here to some extent. Please report back!

Curious, you planning to just lay the sub in the spare tire well? Or actually mount it with the spare tire bolt?
      02-14-2024, 11:47 AM   #25
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
That's the right harness assuming it matches the option code on your window sticker. I'd opt for the one that supports gain adjustment.
On the surface, it sounds simple, but I really think it comes down to the harness. As long as it's plug-and-play, then it should be pretty easy. But I think you're navigating uncharted territory here to some extent. Please report back!

Curious, you planning to just lay the sub in the spare tire well? Or actually mount it with the spare tire bolt?
I don't have a spare or a place to mount it so I was going to brace it in that storage area under the 3rd row somehow. I'm not opposed to a different sub but I know this one hits hard, is easy to install, comes with a remote that has a bunch of settings and it's small. I'll definitely be removing it often whenever we go on road trips so the small size will be huge.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:28 PM   #26
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have a spare or a place to mount it so I was going to brace it in that storage area under the 3rd row somehow. I'm not opposed to a different sub but I know this one hits hard, is easy to install, comes with a remote that has a bunch of settings and it's small. I'll definitely be removing it often whenever we go on road trips so the small size will be huge.
Storage under the third row, being the cubby where the spare tire would reside, above the battery?
I haven't looked for it, but I suspect there's a mount on the frame to affix a spare tire to? If so, sourcing the right bolt might allow you to secure the sub in the same manner that the spare tire would be.
      02-14-2024, 02:29 PM   #27
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Storage under the third row, being the cubby where the spare tire would reside, above the battery?
I haven't looked for it, but I suspect there's a mount on the frame to affix a spare tire to? If so, sourcing the right bolt might allow you to secure the sub in the same manner that the spare tire would be.
The external powered sub I put in my wife's X is down in this cubby. It's a fantastic storage space. And realistically we weren't going to use it on a day to day basis anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 08:21 PM   #28
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you got it, that Cubby where the spare tire would go. However, mine is just a big blank area that's fully carpeted since my car doesn't have the factory spare option. If you do have that option, I believe you get a little nub that pops up like the image in the link below. Mine isn't like that...

https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-g07-x7-emergency-wheel-spare-tire-kit-pkg07spare
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 08:22 PM   #29
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
The external powered sub I put in my wife's X is down in this cubby. It's a fantastic storage space. And realistically we weren't going to use it on a day to day basis anyway.
Can you remind us what sub you have? Also, any tips or details on how your install worked? This must happen for me, I love my B&W system but I need a little more bass punch to be happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:25 PM   #30
Exslave
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera, X7 M50i

Yeah I agree with most. I need a little something I can feel. I think I'm going to have my sound guy build a shallow box in that compartment and flush the woofer in the lid. Stealth and minimal. I've had great success with the shallow mount JL's. Think I'll stick with that and a solid Amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:20 AM   #31
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I bit the bullet on the LOC wiring harness, once I get that in the mail I'll start knocking on doors for a solution.

Where does this thing plug in anyway?
Appreciate 1
Brendon50.00
      02-15-2024, 11:23 AM   #32
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
If you stream music I turned on more bass in the Spotify eq then did the smiley face eq in the bmw eq for bowers and it kicks hard now
HUGE difference tweaking the Spotify EQ and changing streaming to "high quality". I downloaded some albums too and those sound even better (believe they are 24 bit). This will make me quite happy until I make it to big bass land.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      02-15-2024, 06:37 PM   #33
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you remind us what sub you have? Also, any tips or details on how your install worked? This must happen for me, I love my B&W system but I need a little more bass punch to be happy.
I need to look at it when I get home. My audio guy somehow wired it into the rear somehow. I dropped it off one morning and picked it up in the afternoon and didn't ask too many questions. I trust him and he knows what I like/want. I do know he didn't fuss about this like he did when he put a sub in our older Audi Q7 with the Bang & Olufson upgraded system. That system is amazing!

The sub itself is nothing special- just a 10 inch powered unit. I'm not that snobby . I just needed more ooomph out of the HK system. Truthfully the sub is on a very very low level/volume.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:02 PM   #34
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I bit the bullet on the LOC wiring harness, once I get that in the mail I'll start knocking on doors for a solution.

Where does this thing plug in anyway?
The factory amp is located behind the trunk trim on the left hand side. Should be pretty accessible. My uneducated guess is that it's hopefully similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rU66CcVwL3Y
      02-15-2024, 08:59 PM   #35
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
I need to look at it when I get home. My audio guy somehow wired it into the rear somehow. I dropped it off one morning and picked it up in the afternoon and didn't ask too many questions. I trust him and he knows what I like/want. I do know he didn't fuss about this like he did when he put a sub in our older Audi Q7 with the Bang & Olufson upgraded system. That system is amazing!

The sub itself is nothing special- just a 10 inch powered unit. I'm not that snobby . I just needed more ooomph out of the HK system. Truthfully the sub is on a very very low level/volume.
Yeah that's all I want, just a little something. The JBL sub I put in my E was at like 20% gain and it was plenty!

Anything you can share would be great. I don't have a lot of confidence or any good contacts for this kind of work in Rhode Island so I'm attacking this myself...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:00 PM   #36
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The factory amp is located behind the trunk trim on the left hand side. Should be pretty accessible. My uneducated guess is that it's hopefully similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rU66CcVwL3Y
Thanks! This certainly is close by to the little rear cargo/tire bay!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:38 PM   #37
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:

I have an x5 50e but should be same setup in X7.

I ordered the technic pnp "top hifi(688 option) add a sub for ram/booster audio systems"
Then an audio control lci1 line out converter. https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...-upgrade/lc1i/

Works perfect. I used an older infinity basslink I've had for a while. Adds a decent amount of low end bass.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:56 AM   #38
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's all I want, just a little something. The JBL sub I put in my E was at like 20% gain and it was plenty!

Anything you can share would be great. I don't have a lot of confidence or any good contacts for this kind of work in Rhode Island so I'm attacking this myself...
As someone just posted, it's wired into the left rear tire well.

This is what he has in there:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136933...W1.html?tp=114
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:31 AM   #39
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exslave View Post
Yeah I agree with most. I need a little something I can feel. I think I'm going to have my sound guy build a shallow box in that compartment and flush the woofer in the lid. Stealth and minimal. I've had great success with the shallow mount JL's. Think I'll stick with that and a solid Amp.
This is what I did in my X3 - two JL TW5 13.5”s in a custom box in the spare wheel well. They looked at the X7 and can do the same (two TW5s will fit). These things absolutely pound, and that’s juxtaposed against the subwoofers I have at home with 90lb motors. Right now just deciding subwoofer or spare wheel, since I don’t have RFTs anymore 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:13 AM   #40
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys!

Just ordered that same JL sub and the LC2i. Now I need to find an installer!

tinfoiltuna, what your describing might be a little too much for me but thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 1
keg97166.50
      02-17-2024, 03:41 PM   #41
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys!

tinfoiltuna, what your describing might be a little too much for me but thank you for sharing!
I think you'll be very happy with this sub.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:20 PM   #42
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys!

I assume everything is installed now, in which case I'm curious to hear how everything worked out?
      03-19-2024, 09:01 PM   #43
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I assume everything is installed now, in which case I'm curious to hear how everything worked out?
I wish brotha!

I'm picking up the car Friday/Saturday after having about 12 things done, over the course of 3 weeks... the sub was one of them. I'll report back with a write up!
Appreciate 1
Brendon50.00
      03-20-2024, 04:54 PM   #44
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I just pulled the trigger on a JL ACP108LG-W3v3 powered sub and the LC2i with the LOC. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything installed next week.

I'll be sure to report back with my learnings once complete.