BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 vs. X5

03-20-2024, 10:28 AM   #1
LittleReg1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

2024 X7 vs. X5

When I try to perform a comparison of these two vehicles via Google, all I get are specs. I'm interested in a user experience comparison, and I've read a lot of complaints about the 2024 X7. Currently, I own a 2016 X5 and it's getting time to update. I initially wanted to drop my dough on the X7, but am hesitating now.

The kinds of complaints I'm reading about are precisely the reason I didn't go with other vehicles, such as Cadillac and Audi: interior noise, rough ride, climate control issues, touch screen frustrations, etc. These are not supposed to be part of the deal in re to "luxury" vehicles.

If the X7 isn't really a step up, I would rather not spend the money. I don't need additional cargo space and a third row to compensate for the dumbing down in quality. On the other hand, if the X5 is just as fraught with issues, I might consider switching brands.

Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:50 AM   #2
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleReg1 View Post
When I try to perform a comparison of these two vehicles via Google, all I get are specs. I'm interested in a user experience comparison, and I've read a lot of complaints about the 2024 X7. Currently, I own a 2016 X5 and it's getting time to update. I initially wanted to drop my dough on the X7, but am hesitating now.

The kinds of complaints I'm reading about are precisely the reason I didn't go with other vehicles, such as Cadillac and Audi: interior noise, rough ride, climate control issues, touch screen frustrations, etc. These are not supposed to be part of the deal in re to "luxury" vehicles.

If the X7 isn't really a step up, I would rather not spend the money. I don't need additional cargo space and a third row to compensate for the dumbing down in quality. On the other hand, if the X5 is just as fraught with issues, I might consider switching brands.

Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks.
I was going to consider downsizing to the X5 but not so sure now.

1. No massage seats
2. No rear electric shades -- only manual
3. 2nd row doesn't recline and limited room (my biggest complaint)
4. No acoustic glass
5. Not sure if the air suspension is avail on the 40i like it is the X7...but I would probably get the M60i anyways.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

What reviews have you been seeing? Every one I see that compares the X5 and X7 say there is no comparison, the X7 is more comfortable, has more room, and is miles quieter. As far as other brands go, good luck... All of them have problems now, even Lexus, which we switched from just recently.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 11:35 AM   #4
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
I was going to consider downsizing to the X5 but not so sure now.

1. No massage seats
2. No rear electric shades — only manual
3. 2nd row doesn't recline and limited room (my biggest complaint)
4. No acoustic glass
5. Not sure if the air suspension is avail on the 40i like it is the X7...but I would probably get the M60i anyways.
My X5M comp had massage seats but all other points are valid! I find the X7 to be a better family hauler than X5. Rear passengers are more comfortable compared to X5 especially with captains seats, and third row is great for extra people and cargo space when down. X7 has more features like ability to lower seats from cargo compartment and raise and lower car from rear when loading. Also feels more stable at higher speeds. For what it’s worth I probably will not go back into an X5 in the near future
Appreciate 3
blutob2283.00
TechCTU767.50
jphcbpa314.50
      03-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #5
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Get the X7. The price difference is well worth the additional standard options (air suspension, acoustic glass, quieter ride) and a bit bigger size.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-20-2024, 01:49 PM   #6
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
The way the X7 is deprecating smart money would look for a used CPO model.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:02 PM   #7
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 760iX, 2025 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
Most luxury cars depreciate at similar rates, so it’s a matter of whether one is open to a new vs used car. Smart money can be on both sides, depending on what you want to get in exchange.
Appreciate 1
mattsrs624.00
      03-20-2024, 02:37 PM   #8
LittleReg1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
What reviews have you been seeing? Every one I see that compares the X5 and X7 say there is no comparison, the X7 is more comfortable, has more room, and is miles quieter. As far as other brands go, good luck... All of them have problems now, even Lexus, which we switched from just recently.
99% of the "reviews" are your typical features, performance stuff. Yes, people note things like manual vs. electric window shades, but what I noticed were the complaints about things that should be otherwise functioning well.

For example, I've seen a number of posts that state that 22" tires are noisy as heck, or that the touchscreen is silly unresponsive. These are serious issues, wouldn't you agree?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #9
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
We test drove everything from MB, Audi, BMW when searching for our car. We ended up with the X7 40i (‘22) as my wife really wanted the third row. We have the captains chairs in the second row which are very comfortable but they do not fold flat.

It is an amazing highway and towing machine…very comfortable and quiet. Knock on wood we’ve had exactly zero issues and it has 52K km on it currently.

I’m considering extended warranty on it now and keeping it for another 5 years.
      03-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #10
Sat Pat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2025 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
Long-time lurker, my first post here. Recently placed an order for a 2025 X7 40i with every package available, in Tanzanite Blue II. This will be my first BMW after 15 years of several Audis. While I would normally agree that a low-miles 1-2 year old CPO is the best choice, these are not normal times. A CPO in 2024 was most likely manufactured in 2020-2023, when covid quality issues and random feature deletions were quite common. I was spooked by the multitude of threads here complaining about these issues. Plus interest rates are really high: ~7% for new cars, probably in double digits for used cars. Both those reasons is why I ordered new this time. This one time, I'd say CPO may not be the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:06 PM   #11
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

I have an X7 and a family member has an X5. They're both the previous version of this generation (2022 for the X7 and 2023 for the X5).

Major technology and functionality and mechanical systems are the same, so issues will also be the same. Looks like massage seats are no longer available on the X5. Aside from any supply shortages like that, there shouldn't be any major differences between equivalently optioned versions of the two vehicles. The X5 45e (now 50e) (but not other drivetrains) has air suspension on both axles so that's also equivalent.

However there are *lots* of smaller changes that aren't listed on the spec sheets.

X5 has no recline in the 2nd row of seats, they're fixed position. The X7 has nice trunk carpeting on the lower hatch, the X5's lining there is crap (or it might even be hard plastic). X5 has manual folding/raising for the rear seats (wtf??? unacceptable at this price point), whereas X7 has everything motorized with the control panel in the back. Window switches and other buttons on the door are metallized instead of crappy black plastic (previous X7 also had this on the door switches). Bunch of other things that I'm probably forgetting about. Oh, another one, X7 has a push to pop open gas tank cover, X5 has a button by the drivers seat that you need to push to open the gas door. Manual vs side rear window shades. The list goes on and on. The keyfob is nicer on the X7 but that may not apply to the new models. Soft close doors, that's another big one, it may still be unavailable on the X5.

The biggest difference by far, ride quality on the X5 is shit compared to my X7. I have DHP and they don't, that may be a contributing factor but the difference is massive and I think there's more to it than just DHP.

I forgot to check whether their X5 had acoustic glass. I think it isn't supposed to. However, it was as quiet on the highway as my vehicle is. Plus btw, the 6 cylinder engine is much much quieter than the V8 in the M-lite models (though that's probably intentional). It's super quiet all the time (even at max throttle) whereas the V8 makes plenty of noise whenever you give it even a bit of gas. Obviously at constant cruise speed they're both silent though.

I don't recall what the price difference is between an equivalent X5 and X7. But whatever it is, it's probably worth it. X7 is much higher quality. I don't have children so the size of the X7 is wasted on me, but I wanted a nice vehicle and I'm glad I went with this instead of an X5.

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 03-20-2024 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa314.50
TechCTU767.50
      03-21-2024, 06:10 AM   #12
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
I have an X7 and a family member has an X5. They're both the previous version of this generation (2022 for the X7 and 2023 for the X5).

Major technology and functionality and mechanical systems are the same, so issues will also be the same. Looks like massage seats are no longer available on the X5. Aside from any supply shortages like that, there shouldn't be any major differences between equivalently optioned versions of the two vehicles. The X5 45e (now 50e) (but not other drivetrains) has air suspension on both axles so that's also equivalent.

However there are *lots* of smaller changes that aren't listed on the spec sheets.

X5 has no recline in the 2nd row of seats, they're fixed position. The X7 has nice trunk carpeting on the lower hatch, the X5's lining there is crap (or it might even be hard plastic). X5 has manual folding/raising for the rear seats (wtf??? unacceptable at this price point), whereas X7 has everything motorized with the control panel in the back. Window switches and other buttons on the door are metallized instead of crappy black plastic (previous X7 also had this on the door switches). Bunch of other things that I'm probably forgetting about. Oh, another one, X7 has a push to pop open gas tank cover, X5 has a button by the drivers seat that you need to push to open the gas door. Manual vs side rear window shades. The list goes on and on. The keyfob is nicer on the X7 but that may not apply to the new models. Soft close doors, that's another big one, it may still be unavailable on the X5.

The biggest difference by far, ride quality on the X5 is shit compared to my X7. I have DHP and they don't, that may be a contributing factor but the difference is massive and I think there's more to it than just DHP.

I forgot to check whether their X5 had acoustic glass. I think it isn't supposed to. However, it was as quiet on the highway as my vehicle is. Plus btw, the 6 cylinder engine is much much quieter than the V8 in the M-lite models (though that's probably intentional). It's super quiet all the time (even at max throttle) whereas the V8 makes plenty of noise whenever you give it even a bit of gas. Obviously at constant cruise speed they're both silent though.

I don't recall what the price difference is between an equivalent X5 and X7. But whatever it is, it's probably worth it. X7 is much higher quality. I don't have children so the size of the X7 is wasted on me, but I wanted a nice vehicle and I'm glad I went with this instead of an X5.
I would actually enjoy the manual seats over the X7's electric. I absolutely hate them. The fact that it takes 30+ seconds to lower, get in and raise the 2nd row, which ALSO impacts the driver and passenger seats is f'ing stupid. The only benefit is being able to lower all from the rear but damn they are slow!

Last edited by blutob2; 03-21-2024 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
ledphut211.00
      03-21-2024, 06:25 AM   #13
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

The X5 does have massage front seats for $1,000 option.

Agree with overall comments about x7 vs x5. Ride quality, DHP, and quiet cabin are the most noticeable. PinkNinja400Guy stated the details about refinement and attention to luxury.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-21-2024, 06:41 AM   #14
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
However, I would actually enjoy the manual seats over the X7's electric. I absolutely hate them. The fact that it takes 30+ seconds to lower, get in and raise the 2nd row, which ALSO impacts the driver and passenger seats is f'ing stupid. The only benefit is being able to lower all from the rear but damn they are slow!
I agree with this…the electric folding seats are the worst thing about the X7, the X5 is much better in this regard. The other bad feature is that the back of the captains seats don’t fold flat either. (They just lean forward which is a big miss from my perspective)
      03-21-2024, 03:14 PM   #15
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

I have both and it's really not a close call in terms of ride and especially the rear seat comfort. In the X7 with the bench seat second row all the way back there is just as much second seat leg room as in my 7 series sedan that it replaced. We can sit three across the second row in the X7 and it's much more comfortable than same three across in the X5. Which is good because it's a real pain to regularly use the third row in the X7 with the bench seat second row option, as mentioned above.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 03:37 PM   #16
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
In the X7 with the bench seat second row all the way back there is just as much second seat leg room as in my 7 series sedan that it replaced.
Unless you’re talking about the short wheelbase 7-series sold in Europe, your above statement is absolutely not true. My previous car was a 2019 750i and it’s not even close in regards to rear occupant legroom when compared to an X7, bench seat or otherwise. Don’t make me get the stats from BMWs website. LOL
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 04:55 PM   #17
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Go drive them back to back. Make sure you get two with a similar wheel package. IMO, I had an X5 and it's night and day. The X7 is comparable to a full sized Range Rover in terms of ride quality, refinement and luxury, the X5 is comparable to the RR Sport. Just not nearly as close as you would think!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:00 PM   #18
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewX7 View Post
Go drive them back to back. Make sure you get two with a similar wheel package. IMO, I had an X5 and it's night and day. The X7 is comparable to a full sized Range Rover in terms of ride quality, refinement and luxury, the X5 is comparable to the RR Sport. Just not nearly as close as you would think!
I agree, X7 is in a league above X5 in all aspects including ride quality. However, the new Range Rover Sport is also way way better than X5 in terms of comfort and interior quality.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-21-2024, 08:13 PM   #19
LittleReg1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
I agree with this…the electric folding seats are the worst thing about the X7, the X5 is much better in this regard. The other bad feature is that the back of the captains seats don’t fold flat either. (They just lean forward which is a big miss from my perspective)
Isn't this because you can't remove the headrests like you can in other vehicles? If so, I agree. We're not even considering the captains chairs. The problem with the used car market, however, is that everybody else thinks they're cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:43 AM   #20
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleReg1 View Post
Isn't this because you can't remove the headrests like you can in other vehicles? If so, I agree. We're not even considering the captains chairs. The problem with the used car market, however, is that everybody else thinks they're cool.
They don’t have the mechanism to even fold flat, it’s not really a space issue per se. Even the seat backs don’t fold flat.
      03-22-2024, 09:10 AM   #21
PeteSD
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 Xdrive40i

I had a '24 X5 X40i on order, but jumped ship to an X7 X40i after I drove it. The difference was about 13K between the two. In the end, I got a larger, better riding & better equipped vehicle. The X5 is just getting to long in the tooth.

I just love how quiet and smooth the X7 is. Also had a '24 GLS450 on order and cancelled that after driving the X7. The X7 drives so much smaller than it is... the GLS drives exactly like it looks like, a slab sided box. At least BMW is trying to be different, every MB SUV looks like they belong in a giant family photo on the beach wearing the same clothes.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #22
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def try and drive them both with similar options. They are both great rides. x7 is def a step up in various areas but some of those things are not important to some.

Opinions of others def should play into decisions but at the end of the day its your money so its best to drive them all even other brands which will def help you decide what's best for you personally.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0