BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Crossbar System Questions

02-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Couple questions for the crowd:

1. Waiting on my X7 to complete production, but getting ahead of the game with the crossbar purchase. Based on what I'm seeing, the Yakima RailBar system appears to be the lowest profile and "flush" option out there between Yakima and Thule. Anyone have a different opinion?

https://www.yakima.com/railbar-system

2. Probably a silly question, but I'm assuming when the moon roof pops up/opens, it stays well below the top of the raised side rails on the X7?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ChexBMW30.00
      02-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Couple questions for the crowd:
https://www.yakima.com/railbar-system
The Yakima are $458. Why buy those instead of the OEM crossbars?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
The Rail Bars are much lower profile, if clearance or appearance matters.

Someone on here has already been successful with mounting rail bars on their X7. FWIW, you can position the rail bars a bit further forward or back, that I don't expect it to interfere with the roof opening. It might depending on what kind of roof box you've got on it
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Quote:
The Rail Bars are much lower profile, if clearance or appearance matters.

Someone on here has already been successful with mounting rail bars on their X7. FWIW, you can position the rail bars a bit further forward or back, that I don't expect it to interfere with the roof opening. It might depending on what kind of roof box you've got on it
Yes, clearance is very important. Below average height in my garage. The RailBar appeared to be the lowest profile. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Yes, clearance is very important. Below average height in my garage. The RailBar appeared to be the lowest profile. Thanks.

I was looking at a low profile option as well but it was only a 1” height delta and on a SUV of this large size and with a large cargo box it just didn’t make an aesthetic or physical enough difference to matter. If this were an X1 or a 4 Series where one could actually see the roof from an average driving position I could understand the need for a sleek appearance, but the X7 is so tall there is no credit. Looks better in photos but not in real life on a truck this size.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=toddwalton;25822070]
Quote:
I was looking at a low profile option as well but it was only a 1" height delta and on a SUV of this large size and with a large cargo box it just didn't make an aesthetic or physical enough difference to matter.
Thanks! Super helpful. Unfortunately, every inch matters in my situation b/c of my garage height. I'm pushing it with my XC90 and Thule Aeroblades. Damn old houses and garages. The ability to pull in with the box on is a utopian dream
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thanks! Super helpful. Unfortunately, every inch matters in my situation b/c of my garage height. I'm pushing it with my XC90 and Thule Aeroblades. Damn old houses and garages. The ability to pull in with the box on is a utopian dream
Gotcha, missed that point. My home is from 1980 so I get it. We had to have one of the garage door bays widened just to park an SUV in there. No way I’d get an X7 with a cargo box in there, but the BMW roof bars plus a Thule ski rack makes it by a few inches.

Last edited by toddwalton; 07-27-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
Redrex
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
In my case, I wanted to explore getting something I can transfer over to my next car, whatever it may be, when the lease expires. That and REI has some good deals and discounts at the end of the year.
      02-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

I was told by a tech at RackAttack.com that the X7 fit guide for the Yakima Railbars is not correct. Make sure you go someplace where you can get them fitted directly
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf5 View Post
I was told by a tech at RackAttack.com that the X7 fit guide for the Yakima Railbars is not correct. Make sure you go someplace where you can get them fitted directly
Good to know. I'm dealing with RackAttack, so I'll talk to them in more detail.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
I've got the rail bars on mine - it fits fine and have used it with a showcase 20 cargo box. You just need to be careful about not opening the sunroof when the box is on.

Not sure what it's like now, but if you want the bars in black they were on back order, specifically the XL bar.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brukes View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I've got the rail bars on mine - it fits fine and have used it with a showcase 20 cargo box. You just need to be careful about not opening the sunroof when the box is on.

Not sure what it's like now, but if you want the bars in black they were on back order, specifically the XL bar.
Thanks! Super helpful. I was wondering if the sunroof could be opened with the box on.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Looks like they've changed the fit guide - When I did it a couple weeks ago the recommended setup was Medium & XXL bars, which supposedly created a 54" span. Now it looks like it's 2 XL bars.

I really wanted the low profile bars as well. I didn't realize that when carrying skis on top (Yakima Evo6) that the bindings may interfere with the sunroof...which it definitely would. I went with the Thule Wingbars + Crossroad mounts and it's barely enough room to open the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Looks like they've changed the fit guide - When I did it a couple weeks ago the recommended setup was Medium & XXL bars, which supposedly created a 54" span. Now it looks like it's 2 XL bars.

I really wanted the low profile bars as well. I didn't realize that when carrying skis on top (Yakima Evo6) that the bindings may interfere with the sunroof...which it definitely would. I went with the Thule Wingbars + Crossroad mounts and it's barely enough room to open the sunroof.
I’m guessing that’s why the OEM BMW bars are an inch taller.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It was originally L and an XXL bar - XXL in front and L in the rear.

I saw that they changed it to 2xXL bars; I called today and they said either would fit and are approved setups.

Yeah - I've just accepted that if I want the low-profile look, I'm not opening the roof I'm not opening it while something's up top.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #16
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I saw that they changed it to 2xXL bars; I called today and they said either would fit and are approved setups.

Yeah - I've just accepted that if I want the low-profile look, I'm not opening the roof I'm not opening it while something's up top.
I was in Rack Attack today and one of the techs said I would not be able to open the sunroof period with the Yakima RailBar (even with box off). I don't have my X7 yet so I can't verify, but I find it hard to believe that the sun roof is going to come close to clearing the top of the X7's side rails and come in contact with the cross rails when it's open, but maybe I'm misinformed. Can someone verify?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #17
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was in Rack Attack today and one of the techs said I would not be able to open the sunroof period with the Yakima RailBar (even with box off). I don't have my X7 yet so I can't verify, but I find it hard to believe that the sun roof is going to come close to clearing the top of the X7's side rails and come in contact with the cross rails when it's open, but maybe I'm misinformed. Can someone verify?

Found this, there is the wind deflector but the issue is that it looks like the glass rises up, slides back, and overlaps. Makes sense as the interior roof cover is a thin retractible shade.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:

Found this, there is the wind deflector and it looks like the glass rises up, slides back, and overlaps.
Wow! Thanks. That's surprising how much that sticks up.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Thanks. That's surprising how much that sticks up.
Yeah, never climbed up there to take a look. It makes sense considering that inside the car the panoramic glass roof is covered by a very thin piece of headliner material in lieu of a sunshade, it’s the the thickness of a dress shirt, it’s not a big piece of sound insulating plastic like some other cars.

At least now we know why the BMW rack is slightly taller than one would think it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #20
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It depends on how you set it up.

Mine barely brushes it as it opens without a box on top. The bars can flex quite a bit and it does not seem to do any damage to the sunroof. Can take a video tomorrow of it if helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #21
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine barely brushes it as it opens without a box on top. The bars can flex quite a bit and it does not seem to do any damage to the sunroof. Can take a video tomorrow of it if helpful.
That would super helpful - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
seamusad
Rep
Drives: bmw x7

Quote:

Did you ever make that video? I am taking delivery of our X7 next week and am trying to make a decision on bars. Further info would be appreciated as the OEM bars look really high.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0