BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Missing windshield decorative trim - defect or damage?

02-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Missing windshield decorative trim - defect or damage?

My arctic grey metallic 2019 X7 lost the decorative passenger side dark grey windshield trim which runs from the roof to the hood. I’ve included a photo. This happened on a day I took it to get washed so I believe it happened at the car wash but do not know for sure. Car wash could not find the piece when I called to ask.

I’ve ordered the part ($400+) but curious if anyone else has had issues with the trim. The car wash is reputable and I’ve taken countless cars there (including this one almost weekly) with nary a problem. I tend to believe it’s a manufacturing issue as the driver side trim has quite a bit of play to it.

Anyone else? I am okay with being stuck with the tab but will definitely pay more attention after car washes now.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

$400 for the part! I know that BMW parts are expensive but this one looks unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
$400 for the part! I know that BMW parts are expensive but this one looks unbelievable.
The dealer replaced mine under warranty when it came off
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for letting me know. Do you recall the circumstances of yours “departing”?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep

As an update, in case others have a similar problem, my dealer is replacing both the missing passenger side AND still-present driver side trim under warranty.
Appreciate 2
Heimdall136.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
smythrocks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i M Sport

Mine is scheduled to be in the body shop this Friday to have it re-glued
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
maxwerks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M850i , 2021 X7 M50i

Can I ask the OP if that trim had to be painted or was to painted already . We have a 2021 X7 M50i ( it is my wife's daily car ) and just yesterday we notice that the drivers side trim is missing , but no damage ,scratch , and any clues as to how it came off . We went to the dealer ( Braman BMW Miami ) and to my shock they said its not covered under warranty !!! When I asked how would that piece come off seemingly by itself when there is no evidence whatsoever of foul play, vandalism, accident or any other .. they simply said " You'd be surprised " !! The only thing we got was a quote for almost $700 , parts and labor ( Including $121 for Paint BTW because according to them they said it has be painted to match which I dont know if its tru or not ) . To say I am appalled by Bramans response is an understatement. I put in a call to BMW USA to register a complaint , and to beg for someone to explain to me how would that piece come off so easily yet won't be covered by warranty ! any guidance or comments are greatly appreciated . Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwerks View Post
Can I ask the OP if that trim had to be painted or was to painted already . We have a 2021 X7 M50i ( it is my wife's daily car ) and just yesterday we notice that the drivers side trim is missing , but no damage ,scratch , and any clues as to how it came off . We went to the dealer ( Braman BMW Miami ) and to my shock they said its not covered under warranty !!! When I asked how would that piece come off seemingly by itself when there is no evidence whatsoever of foul play, vandalism, accident or any other .. they simply said " You'd be surprised " !! The only thing we got was a quote for almost $700 , parts and labor ( Including $121 for Paint BTW because according to them they said it has be painted to match which I dont know if its tru or not ) . To say I am appalled by Bramans response is an understatement. I put in a call to BMW USA to register a complaint , and to beg for someone to explain to me how would that piece come off so easily yet won't be covered by warranty ! any guidance or comments are greatly appreciated . Thank you
Go back to the dealer and ask the person you talked to if he/she has ever read BMW's warranty. Then ask them to explain why a 4 year warranty that covers defects in materials and craftsmanship does not apply in this matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #9
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

The dealer replaced mine when they started to come off. They tried to fix it first and it came off again and they replaced both of them.

The problem is now one of the replacements has come loose so I used 3M double-sided foam tape to put it back on. So far it is holding on.
Appreciate 0