E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 2 or JB+

View Poll Results: Dinan Stage 2 or JB +
Dinan Stage 2 12 25.00%
JB + 36 75.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

12-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Love my JB+ on 100%... turned it up after only a week. Did the bypass as well.
Went from default (50%) to 100% in one step.
My local dealer is a Dinan installer, and they will cover the warranty, as new. So, that is the only + in my book for someone around here. (Maybe they do this at a lot more dealers...don't know.) JB+ can be found used for about $180... try it and if you want more, sell it an get the JB3. I'm going that route soon. AA FMIC and UR DP's getting installed in a week. JB3 in the spring, since I don't really drive it in the winter.

Edit: Gotta remember to look at the OP dates....
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

Has anyone gone from a SSTT to a JB+,if so whats the difference in power and delivery etc.Comments please.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #25
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

You only get a benefit with the JB if you go above 75%. All both do is add 4.75psi of boost; therefore power delivery is the same. JB adds 5 psi at 100% setting but there is a chance for fault code at 100% with all the torque down low.

Both deliver same power as Dinan stage II.

Dan it would not be a noticeable difference SSTT to JB+. If you want a noticeable difference go with a piggyback.

IF power is all your after, go with a JB3, Meth, and DCI. Those 3 mods has netted 120mph traps and could be had for cheap if you shop around.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I think the JB+ is the best option for those who rent/lease their cars and don't mind committing warranty fraud. I think you can have a high degree of confidence in a system that tuner made using radio shack parts in the controlled laboratory setting of his garage. You just have to worry about removing it before getting your car serviced or when you turn it in when your lease expires.

If you have more invested in your car, looking at long term effects, and feel uncomfortable about the fraud thing - you may want to have a look at the Dinan option. The Dinan tune does more than just jack up boost to the maximum amount possible - it increases boost as safely as possible.

This is explained in its white paper, excerpts of which I have copied below.

Quote:
Dinan Performance Engine Software increases turbo boost pressure from 8.8 to 13.2 psi with properly retuned fuel mixtures, ignition timing and full map rescaling. The results are nothing short of breathtaking, providing substantial increases in power output while maintaining the drivability and reliability of a stock BMW.
Dinan’s software design requires no “piggybacking” or adding “secret” boxes to the ECU. The beauty of Dinan’s design is that it is tuned with the proper software tools, not by intercepting and faking signals back to the ECU. The Dinan Performance Engine Software is the only software that addresses all of the key areas important to engine performance and safety. Unlike other “units” currently on the market, there are no compromises as it works with the engine management system as it was designed while preserving all the engine safety monitors.
To top this all off, the ECU for the car does not need to be taken out to load the software for 2007 models (currently the ECU must be shipped to Dinan for installation of the software for 2008 model vehicles). It is loaded into the car directly through the factory OBDII port in about an hour. Any of over 150 Authorized Dinan Dealers nationwide and in Canada can download the software. Simple, the way it should be.

While drivability is as civilized as in stock form, the Dinan Performance Engine Software produces 50% more boost during the same time frame as compared to a stock 335i, enhancing the aggressiveness on spool-up. This creates a driving feel that is unequalled with smooth, rapid power delivery and massive midrange torque.
To even further the performance of the software and preserve engine reliability, Dinan reprograms the electronically controlled water pump to increase flow during high boost usage.
      12-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #27
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post

If you have more invested in your car, looking at long term effects, and feel uncomfortable about the fraud thing - you may want to have a look at the Dinan option. The Dinan tune does more than just jack up boost to the maximum amount possible - it increases boost as safely as possible.

This is explained in its white paper, excerpts of which I have copied below.
Technically, the JB+ (if that is what you were referring to) does the same thing...increases boost to 13psi which is not "jacking boost to maximum possible" but yes the flashes will be "smoother" than the plug in tunes.

And anytime you increase stock boost (no matter how) you run the engine at hotter temps and add stress which will reduce the long term reliability of your engine; it also depends on driving habits. Just because Dinan says they will honor your warranty doesn't change that fact. Truth is adding more boost to these engines with proper mods (intercooler, downpipes) and taking car of your car has been proven not to cause catastrophic engine failure and is relatively safe; people have logged thousands of tuned miles with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #28
CBR335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
I think the JB+ is the best option for those who rent/lease their cars and don't mind committing warranty fraud. I think you can have a high degree of confidence in a system that tuner made using radio shack parts in the controlled laboratory setting of his garage.

By the way, Radio Shack is a perfectly acceptable place to buy your electronic components. Just a bit more expensive than sourcing them directly from China.

Either way both methods of tuning are pushing the enigine and drivetrain components beyond what was intended by BMW. You could always go for the weak and overpriced BMW performance package if you are worried about it that much.
Appreciate 0