BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Xpel clear bra, full or partial

09-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #89
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
I thought about this as well when I did my ED.

I think you will find, as you read the ED docs, that you are not allowed to ship anything back with your M2C that did not come from the factory.

Aside from this, I think you will find your time better spent driving through the German, Swiss, Austrian and/or Italian Alps, around the Nürburgring, through the Black Forest or any of the other wonderful places you can visit while there.

Could just be me, but I know I easily filled every minute of the two weeks I was there.

Hope you have a great time!
I agree with spending as much time having fun as possible during European Delivery. I did have a few issues with my car's paint during my last ED. Rocks take on a new threat at 120+ mph speeds. I had 2 nasty rock dents on the upper bumper near the BMW roundel and one rock chip on the hood from my 2 week ED experience. They all happened during the last leg of my trip from Basel to Bremerhaven, my drop off point. My car had 1700 miles on it by then (kind of broken in) so I was driving fast on the Autobahn. I'm going to use track tape on the same area of my M2C for my upcoming ED trip.
https://www.trakktape.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #90
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
... deleted ...
I'm going to use track tape on the same area of my M2C for my upcoming ED trip.
https://www.trakktape.com/
When I got my M2 back into the states, I had to drive it from Philly to Northern VA. I knew from experience that there is a fair amount of construction and gravel in my path so I decided to give TrakTape a try for that leg even though I didn't use anything in Europe.

It could have been my application but I was very disappointed in its performance. I spent more than two hours cleaning/ prepping the nose and applying trak tape. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, at least initially.

20 min or so after I got on the highway I pulled off to check things and wound up replacing about 20% of the trak tape with blue painters tape where it had not held. A half hour later, I had to replace some more.

Trak tape is cleaner looking than painters tape, but I was not able to get it to stay on on some surfaces.

If you elect to use it, make sure you have a sharp scissors and possibly a razor knife with you. Might want to bring some blue tape with you as well ;^(
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2865.00
      09-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #91
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
When I got my M2 back into the states, I had to drive it from Philly to Northern VA. I knew from experience that there is a fair amount of construction and gravel in my path so I decided to give TrakTape a try for that leg even though I didn't use anything in Europe.

It could have been my application but I was very disappointed in its performance. I spent more than two hours cleaning/ prepping the nose and applying trak tape. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, at least initially.

20 min or so after I got on the highway I pulled off to check things and wound up replacing about 20% of the trak tape with blue painters tape where it had not held. A half hour later, I had to replace some more.

Trak tape is cleaner looking than painters tape, but I was not able to get it to stay on on some surfaces.

If you elect to use it, make sure you have a sharp scissors and possibly a razor knife with you. Might want to bring some blue tape with you as well ;^(
Thanks for the tip. I've actually never used it before. I guess I'll try to prep the surface first with some 25% alcohol solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #92
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I've actually never used it before. I guess I'll try to prep the surface first with some 25% alcohol solution.
maybe the xpel product is better?

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      09-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #93
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
... deleted ...
maybe the xpel product is better?

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
I would be tempted to at least give it a try. If I had this to do again, I think I would buy some and try installing it on my daily driver as a test platform. That would help me understand better how to apply and it's viability.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #94
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

As BMW Owners, you can use Promo Code "BMWCCA" on the website to give you 20% off of XPEL TRACWRAP and many other items. Let us know if we can answer any questions.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      09-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #95
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
As BMW Owners, you can use Promo Code "BMWCCA" on the website to give you 20% off of XPEL TRACWRAP and many other items. Let us know if we can answer any questions.
What sealant do you recommend for x-pel ultimate? Is Zaino ok to use?
      09-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #96
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Clear bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

Hey ChrisK,

You can use ANY sealant or wax on XPEL ULTIMATE, ULTIMATE PLUS, and even STEALTH, as long as it does NOT contain any petroleum distillates such as naphtha or kerosene. We would also stay away from products with a harsh dye (more important if your car is white). A common practice over XPEL is to have a ceramic coating applied.

If you let me know which ZAINO product your referring to, we can try to track down the ingredients and see if it's "PPF Safe". Otherwise just check the back of the bottle or find the ingredients on the website or on the products SDS sheet and look for those items from above.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #97
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Hey ChrisK,

You can use ANY sealant or wax on XPEL ULTIMATE, ULTIMATE PLUS, and even STEALTH, as long as it does NOT contain any petroleum distillates such as naphtha or kerosene. We would also stay away from products with a harsh dye (more important if your car is white). A common practice over XPEL is to have a ceramic coating applied.

If you let me know which ZAINO product your referring to, we can try to track down the ingredients and see if it's "PPF Safe". Otherwise just check the back of the bottle or find the ingredients on the website or on the products SDS sheet and look for those items from above.
Not to here but I'll chime in and let Chris add other Zaino products. I use the following right now and am also curious as my m2c is getting Xpel Ultimate next Tuesday.

Z-7 Wash (http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-7.html)

Z-5 Polish (http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-5.html) with ZFX accelerator additive (http://www.zainostore.com/product/ZFX.html)

Z-8 Finale Spray (http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-8.html)

Z-CS Clear Seal Spray (http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-CS.html)
ChrisK4450.00
      09-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #98
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hey ChrisK,

My installer just asked me about ceramic coating. That's probably my best move.
      09-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #99
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Quote:
Hey ChrisK,

Not to here but I'll chime in and let Chris add other Zaino products. I use the following right now and am also curious as my m2c is getting Xpel Ultimate next Tuesday.

Z-5 Polish (http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-5.html) with ZFX accelerator additive (http://www.zainostore.com/product/ZFX.html)

I use Z-2 Pro, Z-CS, and Z-AIO when needed.
      09-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #100
StLuis51
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3; 2023 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey ChrisK,

Chris, I just had my wrapped with suntek and then ceramic coated including the wheels. Whole front, fenders, headlights, roof, rocker panels, a pillars, and replaced the rear BMW patch with a much bigger piece and top of rear bumper. My detailer uses Kenzo ceramic coatings. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures he sent me the car looks amazing. It cost me $2300 euros or roughly 3k US dollars for everything.
2023 X3MC - Current
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #101
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLuis51 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey ChrisK,

Chris, I just had my wrapped with suntek and then ceramic coated including the wheels. Whole front, fenders, headlights, roof, rocker panels, a pillars, and replaced the rear BMW patch with a much bigger piece and top of rear bumper. My detailer uses Kenzo ceramic coatings. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures he sent me the car looks amazing. It cost me $2300 euros or roughly 3k US dollars for everything.
That's almost exactly what I am doing.
      09-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #102
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

Quote:
THX!!
      09-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #103
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Just got a couple chips last week on the front bumper . Only been a week and a half since delivery. A lot more noticeable on HS. Regret not getting it earlier .

Getting Suntek PPF Full Frontal Wednesday to prevent from any more.

Last edited by HS_M2C; 09-17-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #104
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just added ceramic coating to my xpel ultimate install. I blame this thread!
XPEL348.00
ChrisK4450.00
      09-18-2018, 05:03 AM   #105
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post

Thank you for providing the links, I don't see the ingredients on their website so I've reached out to their technical support team for details. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #106
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for providing the links, I don't see the ingredients on their website so I've reached out to their technical support team for details. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, Xpel. Since I caved and added ceramic coating, it's not a pending question for me directly. That being said, I know there are a lot of Zaino users on this forum. My product list plus Chris's Z-AIO (all in one) polish should cover most of the use cases.
      09-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #107
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

I bought a roll of Xpel for similar temp use. I applied it with Xpel Gel. It worked very well for me at least.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      09-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #108
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I bought a roll of Xpel for similar temp use. I applied it with Xpel Gel. It worked very well for me at least.
Good to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #109
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

the paint is really soft

I already got 2 stone chip on the front bumper

HS
      10-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #110
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
So I got my PPF full frontal done with SunTek around 3-4 weeks back and I noticed some parts of the front bumper are not covered. Because of this I got a few chips. Do any of you have this issue? Was it not installed properly or is this just how the template is?

I contacted the installer and he said he could add custom pieces to the existing pattern.
Appreciate 0