BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Child Car Seat tethers in Captain’s Chairs

03-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #23
Petegd
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350, GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
You bet. I've found that having a very enjoyable car can bring a spark of joy every day into the monotony of life. I think its worth investing in the things you use the most, and/or the things that are most enjoyable. That includes car, house, and bed. (spend 1/3 of your life in bed)
Couldn't agree more. It's an accumulation of the daily little things in life that matter most.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
SaintD
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera S E Hybrid

Garage List
16 Porsche  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegd View Post
Why don't you simply buy latch car seats? Problem solved.
We have 6 car seats for our 2 vehicles, and they do all have LATCH. Problem is that depending on car seat, child age/height & state law the maximum weight limit for LATCH only could be about 40 pounds.
More importantly, as a father I want the safest safety so it matters if one seat will secure my kid with only LATCH vs another seat that offers LATCH, tether anchor & seat belt combined.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #25
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegd View Post
Why don't you simply buy latch car seats? Problem solved.
latch works up to a certain weight limit. think its 65 lbs child and seat combined weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #26
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintD View Post
ppagiga The Fast Lane Car review shows the bench seat sliding forward before tilting. However, the video appears to have been recorded some time ago, so it may be a pre-production car as well.
Thanks for your advice. I think we'd prefer the bench for more flexibility. I like the option to install our 3 car seats in the 2nd row bench, and fold the 3rd row for additional luggage capacity on road trips. Plus, being able to LATCH and tether the outside bench seats without blocking access to the 3rd row is beneficial.
I wonder if/when a site like the car seat lady will give it a professional review?
yeah i love that functionality for the bench. just haven't seen it recreated for captains except in that one sketchy video i found.

in one week all the press reviews will hit the web so we'll know more then too i guess
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
Petegd
Rep

These car seat laws are truly baffling and frankly I doubt that a lot of this is evidence based. This is why for instance if I buy a car seat in the US it (technically) can get confiscated at the border if I move to Canada and vice versa.

Our latch seat laws also vary - for instance in some places a combined weight of 120 lbs for a booster seat is acceptable. I've had latch seats for my kids, with the exception of when they were babies.

Given that each province and state comes up with these rules seemingly randomly, I firmly believe that what is far more important in my mind in mitigating injury is the car safety features and the driver. A 5 star safety rating in a side impact collision is what I want all my cars to be.

The other thing is that most people don't even tether their car seats properly, but that's a whole other story.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

IMO ,The availability of captains chairs was one of the biggest selling features on this vehicle for me. It's really was what I was waiting for. Comparing my experience(as a passenger) in full 3rd row vehicles, those with captain chairs (pretty much American) were so much easier and practical to access third row than Audi or Merc. I'm thrilled with this thing,The wait so was worth it ! Third row access is practical though not as spacious as American, But The tighter squeeze is so much easier than fumbling with and folding seats! When car seats come out, the luxurious captains chairs will impress any passenger, giving them a more 7 series like comfort.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3682.50
SaintD4.00
      03-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #29
Petegd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
IMO ,The availability of captains chairs was one of the biggest selling features on this vehicle for me. It's really was what I was waiting for. Comparing my experience(as a passenger) in full 3rd row vehicles, those with captain chairs (pretty much American) were so much easier and practical to access third row than Audi or Merc. I'm thrilled with this thing,The wait so was worth it ! Third row access is practical though not as spacious as American, But The tighter squeeze is so much easier than fumbling with and folding seats! When car seats come out, the luxurious captains chairs will impress any passenger, giving them a more 7 series like comfort.

You're making me want to get captain chairs now ...
So do you then always squeeze between the armrests when getting into the 3rd row? Seems like a really tight, tight squeeze.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #30
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Captain's chairs were a huge selling feature for us as well... until we had our third kid, and forcing one of them in the 3rd row all the time dramatically lowers our cargo options, so it's a bench seat for us.

Plus the bench seat gives them easy access to punch each other and complain more...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Petegd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Plus the bench seat gives them easy access to punch each other and complain more...
Surely, you must be talking about my kids. You kidnapped them? Feel free to keep them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #32
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Captain's chairs were a huge selling feature for us as well... until we had our third kid, and forcing one of them in the 3rd row all the time dramatically lowers our cargo options, so it's a bench seat for us.

LOL. Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm going for captain's chairs. Separate the kids, so there's not question of territory lines, no "she's leaning on me", etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #33
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I just ordered a MY19 50i with captain chairs and I have a 3yr old and a 9 month old. I was really torn between the full bench and captain chairs because chairs do not fully fold down for more loading capacity. The hooks for the baby seats is another issue I guess. Are you able to access the rear while having a car seat installed in the captain chair. If it's rear facing I assume there is not enough space for the captain chair to move forward.
      03-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #34
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I just ordered a MY19 50i with captain chairs and I have a 3yr old and a 9 month old. I was really torn between the full bench and captain chairs because chairs do not fully fold down for more loading capacity. The hooks for the baby seats is another issue I guess. Are you able to access the rear while having a car seat installed in the captain chair. If it's rear facing I assume there is not enough space for the captain chair to move forward.
Just pump out the third one now, it's a lot easier to get it over with now!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #35
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Just pump out the third one now, it's a lot easier to get it over with now!
Don't jinx me....it was between M5 Competition and the X7 and look what we are getting.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #36
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Check out the posts above. Some limitations on mobility of cap’s if tether and/or seatbelt fixture are used
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
skiborsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue E90 M3

We had seriously thought the X7 would be a contender to replace our GL and when we saw the pass through/other issues with captains seats (just had our third kid), got a six seat Model X - no armrests, belts in the seats, motor forward and back without bending the seats, and a wide pass through.

Definitely tighter in the third row (and less spacious overall), but we're sticking a 5 year old back there for now. Now we have to deal with the less cargo area of having the third in the back row normally, but have a Raptor for if/when that's an issue.
Appreciate 1
SaintD4.00
      03-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #38
Shrike
Rep
Drives: M3 e93, X5

Quote:
My kids go into the third row to buckle/unbuckle their stuffed animals 2-4 times daily with ease. I have gotten back there several times between captains chairs with little strain. It's not something I'd expect/ recommend an adult to do daily but the 3" between arm rests down is plenty of space for my kids legs to pass. With arm rests off/ down there's 8" between seats.
Do you have the cupholder on the floor in front of the second row? Doesn't it hinder your voyages to the third row between captains? Or there is a way to remove it having the flat floor?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #39
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
Quote:
My kids go into the third row to buckle/unbuckle their stuffed animals 2-4 times daily with ease. I have gotten back there several times between captains chairs with little strain. It's not something I'd expect/ recommend an adult to do daily but the 3" between arm rests down is plenty of space for my kids legs to pass. With arm rests off/ down there's 8" between seats.
Do you have the cupholder on the floor in front of the second row? Doesn't it hinder your voyages to the third row between captains? Or there is a way to remove it having the flat floor?
Cup holder is there. Not a problem to step around. I would physically try it yourself in person. For myself and my family access to third row is a matter of a little squeeze between captain chairs. No seat moving. We like the way it works for us, I'd suggest you spend some time in both configurations with your car seats (if applicable) and see which you like better. I ordered sight unseen and very happy
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #40
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

I just watched this car wow review of the X7 and he dimonsrates how the 2nd rowmiddle seat quickly folds down to access the third row, similar to the captain chairs. With this feature the only reason to get the captain chairs is for the look. My wife really wants the captain chairs but personal I would prefer the bench.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #41
Shrike
Rep
Drives: M3 e93, X5

Quote:
Cup holder is there. Not a problem to step around. I would physically try it yourself in person. For myself and my family access to third row is a matter of a little squeeze between captain chairs. No seat moving. We like the way it works for us, I'd suggest you spend some time in both configurations with your car seats (if applicable) and see which you like better. I ordered sight unseen and very happy
Thanks for the prompt reply. I also had to order it unseen, the car is produced and on its way while test ones are still not available here. I liked captains for their look and expected them to be not much less functional. Now looking all reviews started to doubt...

Another question: a single person sitting in a third row can he stretch his feet in between captain chairs?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Really interested in how the captains chairs with child seats work out for accessing the third row. We were looking at the X5 but after some discussion the wife and I though it would be nice to have the third row for the few times a year (the holidays / vacations) where it comes in handy. However if you can't access the third row with child seats in the captains chairs we might as well stick with the X5, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #43
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I also had to order it unseen, the car is produced and on its way while test ones are still not available here. I liked captains for their look and expected them to be not much less functional. Now looking all reviews started to doubt...

Another question: a single person sitting in a third row can he stretch his feet in between captain chairs?
Yes, a person could stretch their legs from the third row, between the captains chairs. However, you really can't sit in the middle of the third row. It's two seats seated side by side, with seatbelts on each side, and cushions arranged as such.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #44
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yes, a person could stretch their legs from the third row, between the captains chairs. However, you really can't sit in the middle of the third row. It's two seats seated side by side, with seatbelts on each side, and cushions arranged as such.
Just to touch on what groove1 pointed out, you could stretch your legs through the middle of the bench seat as well.

https://youtu.be/aK4V37Qq7fU?t=02m10s
Appreciate 0