BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Autonomous Driving System

06-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
Autonomous Driving System

For those that have the lane assist and the radar assist cruise; or also called Driver Assist System; I wonder if anyone has been able to circumvent the "hands -on steering wheel detection" while the sytem is activated. I think that everybody that enjoys the system regularly finds it annoying to hear the alert go off 30seconds after your hands are not on the wheel when the system is activated and the car is traveling at a wonderful highway speed keep the car within the lane and in pace with cars around you. Some operators have whispered hair clips etc. do the trick??? anyone? yes a non permanent, non damaging etc. solution would be great.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

It's not 30 seconds... it's more like 10. And you really don't want to do this as the X7 will often take an exit to the right or left if you come upon one with the system engaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
I am mostly engaging the system on my 90-mile commute to the airport on I-95 at 6:00am or on the return at 11:00pm. The system is a blessing at those times of the day. That part of the highway has been rebuilt over the past 3 years and road markings are excellent even though there is no lighting. I do understand the potential hazard but have to say that the system has not made any surprise moves so far, such as departing from its lane or as drastic as taking an exit. Thanks for the fair warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Don't look at that as an autonomous driving system, that puts the bar too high. But if you see it as a driving assistant system, it's easier to set the expectations and deal with it. I don't let the the steering goes without touch more than 10-15 seconds even it lets you do that.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      06-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
Some operators have whispered hair clips etc. do the trick??? anyone?
Interesting to note about Hair Clips. Wonder how they are used? You just open a hair clip wide enough and put it on the wheel?!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I finally got the full autonomous functions to work today, I think called Traffic Jam Assist.

While driving with the adaptive cruise and steering assistance on, the car must have liked conditions, chimed, and told me it was prepared for some other system. I hit mode, the steering wheel lit up green and it did a great job.

Was on the Kennedy expressway in Chicago in heavy traffic, and it had no issues.

The only think I didn't understand is if I held down the turn signal to change lanes, it cancelled the Traffic Jam Assist and sometimes took quite some time to offer oft again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
jcarmic
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 50i Carbon Black

I have found that if I rest my knee against the wheel it'll think I have my hands on it. I use it quite often on the interstate and it works well.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
nornor67
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

IEE developed Hands Off Detection (HOD), a sensing system that measures the capacitance between a conductive layer in the steering wheel (antenna) and the electrical ground in such things as the car body or the seat frame. So if you want to fool the system you need to bypass the capacitance.
Appreciate 0