BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Chevrolet Camaro

01-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #243
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So... BMW can only sell 119,000 4-Series worldwide and GM sells just 20,000 less Camaros because it is sold in a limited market of just North America and you think that proves your point? I'd insert a insult here, but It's a new year and all...
If GM sold the Camaro in Europe their total sales would probably still be 89K. Nobody wants it over there. Hence, it isn't sold there.

Lastly, 119K minus 89K is 30k. But it's a New Year and I will not insult you with your lack of math skills. Hopefully you didn't need them while replacing your clutch

Enjoy the General's product. I will not. Bye
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #244
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211 View Post
Apples to apples is how many model specific cars in a given year does a manufacturer produce and sell. After all, there are other places in the world besides the USA (none are any better but I digress). That is an apples to apples comparison. Fact is that BMW (a manufacturer) sells 34.8% more 4 series than GM (a manufacturer) produces and sells Camaro.

Notice you didn't answer my other question so I'll ask it again. What car does GM sell in Europe that is the equivalent of the Camaro? I'll help you out. There is none.
The only way to accurately compare sales of these vehicles is geographically. Any other comparison is disingenuous.

As soon as OUS sales are included in any comparative US sales the data, the information is polluted and inaccurate. This is consistent in Pharma, Cars, Toilet Paper or whatever one sells in both the US domestic market and international markets. Anyone who works in any international business knows this.

This is my one of my father's favorite quotes. He is a Ph.D., now retired, who teaches statistics:

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

The more accurate statement would be, 'Internationally and overall, the BMW 4 series sells more units than the Camaro but in a direct comparison limited to the US market, the Camaro sells in greater numbers.'

Cheers-mk

Last edited by MKSixer; 01-01-2016 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #245
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
If GM sold the Camaro in Europe
They don't.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #246
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
If GM sold the Camaro in Europe their total sales would probably still be 89K. Nobody wants it over there. Hence, it isn't sold there.

Lastly, 119K minus 89K is 30k. But it's a New Year and I will not insult you with your lack of math skills. Hopefully you didn't need them while replacing your clutch

Enjoy the General's product. I will not. Bye
Oooh I made a simple math error while coming back to the house to consult one of my pictures of the underside of my car to finish my clutch and I looked in to see what idiotic reply you provided. Well exxxxxccccuuuuuussssseeee me (sorry Steve Martin). However, the point remains the same, BMW sells 119,000 4-Series out of marketplace of 4 Billion worldwide customers, where as GM sells 89,000 Camaros out of a marketplace of 400 million (we'll ignore the actual driving public numbers of the world and North America). So I've made my case even using your stupid logic (hint: per marketplace driving capita, GM sells more Camaros than BMW sells 4-Series).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #247
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ahh, like a corvette.
I should of added (assumed it was implied) that the car should also be able to complete at least a couple race pace laps at VIR with out overheating in stock form.
      01-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #248
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

At what point did how many cars sold have anything to do with which car is better? Based on the numbers we should all buy Camry's with the second choice being an Accord. Then somehow selling lots of car in Europe somehow translates into helping me decide on what to buy here? My Z4M was one of the slowest selling BMW's in recent times in the U.S. but for some reason this was actually a plus to me when I bought it.
      01-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #249
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
At what point did how many cars sold have anything to do with which car is better?
I think it came to this because MPerformance realized he needed some sort of quantitative figure where his M4 beats the Camaro SS, price and performance both went to the Camaro so what else is there? He's been awfully opinionated about a car that he apparently doesn't care about. Seems like some post-purchase rationalization to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #250
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I think it came to this because MPerformance realized he needed some sort of quantitative figure where his M4 beats the Camaro SS, price and performance both went to the Camaro so what else is there? He's been awfully opinionated about a car that he apparently doesn't care about. Seems like some post-purchase rationalization to me.
He doesn't like GM...period. End of story.

Quote:
Do I despise GM? Yep, I sure as hell do.
It is pointless for you guys to go back and forth with him.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #251
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Nobody wants it over there.
i personally won't buy one atm because i'm into other things right now but i'm not sure about this statement. when my friend from germany came to visit, one of the first things he wanted to do was test drive a camaro. he loved it.