BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Mattress haves and wants

11-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Why hasn't anyone brought up one of these and their importance? Amirite UncleWede ?
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. SomethingS were squishing my ears closed
      11-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #46
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. SomethingS were squishing my ears closed
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #47
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
We have enjoyed two IKEA mattresses. The first one was pretty soft foam, purchased 7 years ago, and no longer available. The second, purchased last year, was the most expensive king size mattress they offered. It is comfortable for both my wife and I.

IKEA changes their product lineup fairly often, so if I was in the market I would go there, choose the most expensive model, and buy it if I liked the feel. That's what I did last year.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #48
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
For those who think it is crazy to spend over $5k on a mattress (I used to be one of them), you got to try them to know the differences - meaning sleep on it for many nights. Another factor is the age. I am pretty sure you are in your late 20s or early 30s, so you may not have sleep quality issue or body pains so spending thousands on a mattress is not your priority.

We spent $5.5k on the Tempur-Pedic Breeze Cal-King exactly 2 years ago.

Before that, we had been using those cheap mattress around $350 for years (changed a new one every 3-4 years).

Our sleep quality has gone up and we have less body aches waking up.
While I agree that the demographic in here being late 20's and early 30 year old's, I still think mattresses are overpriced. My parents let me have their 2 year old mattress that they got for around $4k back in the day as a reward for when I got my 1st engineering job. Since then I have moved to a $800 quilted memory foam mattress and I sleep better than I ever have. After going from my dorm room bed, to my $300 sears pillowtop, to the $4k mattress, I felt like I would always invest on what I sleep on. I then got a purple mattress for my guest room when they first started up and since then I have questioned my reasoning.

You absolutely do not have to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a mattress to get quality sleep. You are paying for the name at the end of the day. Will a $5k mattress be better than a $400 mattress, 9.5/10 times yes it will. But is a $5k mattress the best thing out there, I think not. Personally if im spending 5k on a mattress, it better cook my breakfast and potentially do my taxes as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #49
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

just spent 2k on a mattress and bed. if you dont sleep on your back get as firm as tolerable. tbh im more comfortable sleeping on floor. just came back from india and slept on very firm mattresses and had the best sleep ever. then again americans spend so much time in bed myself included so they tend to remain a bit softer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #50
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
While I agree that the demographic in here being late 20's and early 30 year old's, I still think mattresses are overpriced. My parents let me have their 2 year old mattress that they got for around $4k back in the day as a reward for when I got my 1st engineering job. Since then I have moved to a $800 quilted memory foam mattress and I sleep better than I ever have. After going from my dorm room bed, to my $300 sears pillowtop, to the $4k mattress, I felt like I would always invest on what I sleep on. I then got a purple mattress for my guest room when they first started up and since then I have questioned my reasoning.

You absolutely do not have to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a mattress to get quality sleep. You are paying for the name at the end of the day. Will a $5k mattress be better than a $400 mattress, 9.5/10 times yes it will. But is a $5k mattress the best thing out there, I think not. Personally if im spending 5k on a mattress, it better cook my breakfast and potentially do my taxes as well.
This was my take until I did OCD amounts of research. The materials used between a $400 and a $5000 mattress are not the same. For example the memory foam is rated by density, . 3.0lb/pcf or less is low quality; 4.0lb/pcf is a medium quality; and 5.0lb/pcf or higher is very high quality. They may feel the same for awhile but the materials in the lower density foams break down over time and will not last as long. Same goes for coil systems, the Bonnel coil is just simple, hourglass-shaped springs tied together, mostly used for cheap mattresses. Pocketed and alternative coils use a high gauge (or thickness) and use more of them to support the layers and your weight. Also take into consideration preference feel, your parents 4k bed might not be what you were looking for as far as comfort or support. That's why going into a store is important, what one person likes another will hate regardless of the price.

I will agree however that a lot of the big named brands are not very transparent on the materials they use. So in a sense you are right. But not all of them. Stearns and Foster were really bad about that for years and their quality went down hill with cheap materials. Two years ago Tempurpedic bought them out and now they are now disclosing high quality materials. I also agree Purple is a good bed, but it is not in the cheap category. The base starts at $1000 for a queen and the new Purple 3 is $2300. Definitely not in the $400 category. A great website for research is the mattress underground, it's a public forum filled with OCD fools like me trying not to get ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #51
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

We are rocking a king sleep number right now but I gotta say that purple mattress looks pretty balling.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
We are rocking a king sleep number right now but I gotta say that purple mattress looks pretty balling.
Yea, I had a friend hook me up with a personal discount on Purple on top of the Black Friday promotion so I pulled the trigger on a California King Purple.4 mattress, mattress protector, sheets, and two of their new Purple Harmony pillows. I also ordered their metal frame to hold me over until I properly renovate the bedroom.

While the discount closed the sale on the Purple, I also just wanted to get this behind me. I'm really looking forward to my revamped sleeping experience.
Attached Images

11-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #53
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

We just went through this too. Ended up with tempur luxe breeze soft and returned it due to the temperature material being much firmer than normal memory foam. Ended up with the purple 4 and is very comfortable. Mattresses are so subjective thankfully they all now have trial periods just make sure to read the fine print as many aren't completely "free" to return. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #54
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I had a Purple mattress and I loved it, but my wife didn't. It isn't easy to crawl in and out of bed when our work schedules don't align and you can "feel" the other getting in and out so if you're a sensitive sleeper and you have a SO, I don't think the Purple would be a great choice.

Again, I loved it, but when I had to get out of bed early in the morning to get ready for work and she doesn't have work until 2hrs later, it was just waking her up also. Just didn't gel with our schedule.

Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #55
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
This was my take until I did OCD amounts of research. The materials used between a $400 and a $5000 mattress are not the same. For example the memory foam is rated by density, . 3.0lb/pcf or less is low quality; 4.0lb/pcf is a medium quality; and 5.0lb/pcf or higher is very high quality. They may feel the same for awhile but the materials in the lower density foams break down over time and will not last as long. Same goes for coil systems, the Bonnel coil is just simple, hourglass-shaped springs tied together, mostly used for cheap mattresses. Pocketed and alternative coils use a high gauge (or thickness) and use more of them to support the layers and your weight. Also take into consideration preference feel, your parents 4k bed might not be what you were looking for as far as comfort or support. That's why going into a store is important, what one person likes another will hate regardless of the price.

I will agree however that a lot of the big named brands are not very transparent on the materials they use. So in a sense you are right. But not all of them. Stearns and Foster were really bad about that for years and their quality went down hill with cheap materials. Two years ago Tempurpedic bought them out and now they are now disclosing high quality materials. I also agree Purple is a good bed, but it is not in the cheap category. The base starts at $1000 for a queen and the new Purple 3 is $2300. Definitely not in the $400 category. A great website for research is the mattress underground, it's a public forum filled with OCD fools like me trying not to get ripped off.
I did not do OCD research like you when decided to spend $5k+ on a mattress, but yea there are much more differences than just branding, quality of materials, etc... One that I value a lot is whether a material is "healthy" - free of cancer causing materials.
Appreciate 1
Mardio197.00
      11-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #56
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

We have a Tomorrow Sleep (I think) king that came in a box and is really heavy. We bought a spring thing on Amazon and assembled that, but also had to put some 3/4 plywood on top of the slats to support the whole thing properly. The spring thing and mattress are, together, too thin for the bed so seem out of proportion. The mattress won’t fit a king sheet tight, so they are baggy which is kind of annoying. And if you like to sit on the edge of the bed (to get dressed, for example), the edge will start to sag. On the plus side I sleep well in it, and neither of us can feel the bed move if the other moves or gets up in the night.

When we move in a year or two we will get something better. This one (without the spring and wood) was about $1,100 delivered. I’ll do the research then, but if it was today I’d probably get a good, conventional mattress. I hate spending money, but the right mattress/spring set up is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #57
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I bought a iComfort years ago on a short timeline and I will say - I still like it to this day. I travel a lot and still love getting back home to it. I do like a firm mattress though, so it is not for everyone. I have a mattress heater on it so I turn it on very low about an hour before I go to bed in the winter and rarely make it a page in my book before I am out like I drank a bottle of wine first.

But for those cheaper folks out there - I inherited a farm house when my father passed who finished his years as a bachelor in a full sized bed. I quickly moved that out and put in a queen, but only stay there a few days a month and was not about to drop a few grand on one for that. I did a little looking and bought one of the Nectars from Amazon I could have shipped to the house in a box. It is a surprisingly good sleep for the $800 it cost. I was honestly shocked.

Would I trade my iComfort for it - no. But we loan the house out to friends and family passing through and I have had many comments on that mattress being comfortable. My sister stayed on it and bought for their houses guest room as did a friend who stayed there.

Very inexpensive, but more comfortable that I would have expected for the sub grand price. Again it is fairly firm, but I like them like that.

Just my 0.02 cents for you squeeky butt folks like me..........
      11-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #58
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
but even on sale it's $3300... A Saatva is only $1500!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
he thought I was crazy spending 4 grand on a mattress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckbangblow View Post
Night and day difference, but very expensive. (over 5k)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
I purchased the Tempur-Pedic LuxeBreeze
They run about $4.5k for queen,
for a mattress?
Calculate how much time in bed and then tell me you want to cheap out on a mattress or bedding...

Best piece of advice I ever got was - "don't cheap out on bedding and towels..." You spend 1/3rd of your life in bed, it's not something I'd want to cheap out on...
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #59
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Mattress for car guys.

Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00
      11-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #60
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Best piece of advice I ever got was - "don't cheap out on bedding and towels..." You spend 1/3rd of your life in bed, it's not something I'd want to cheap out on...
Or shoes
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #61
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Our last mattress was a Beautyrest Black. It was nice, but nothing revolutionary.

Current mattress is a Casper. If you're a side sleeper and are shopping "bed in a box" options, this is probably your mattress. We love it. Love. It.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #62
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I don't sleep long enough to care what it's on. Many times I don't even make it to bed to sleep. Just nod out on the couch.

But, I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to deal with driving all over green earth and listening to salesmen reciting manufacturer data.
So I just did the buy something off amazon route. Ended up with a Lucid brand 12" memory foam one.
For the most part I really like it. Took month or so for the smell to go away.
The one thing I've noticed is it keeps me too warm. I need more air moving.

Can't beat the cost going off what you guys have been talking about.
Appreciate 0