BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Wagon lovers rejoice! RS6 maybe for U.S.

04-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wagon lovers rejoice! RS6 maybe for U.S.

We have reason to hope and pray, the dream of an RS6 Avant is apparently not dead for those of us Stateside after all.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/8614/au...come-stateside

Last edited by BEM-S4; 04-03-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
We have reason to hope and pray, the dream of an RS6 Avant is apparently not dead for those of us Stateside after all.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/8614/au...come-stateside
That would be a wonderful car.....IF they dump that POS DSG transmission
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Already talking to my dealer about getting on a wait list for the car for dad. He can't drive a standard anymore and we are running out of wagons that he likes. Would really be this or Panamera at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Out of my price range but I can't wait to see them on the road. Truly one of the best looking cars out there.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Already talking to my dealer about getting on a wait list for the car for dad. He can't drive a standard anymore and we are running out of wagons that he likes. Would really be this or Panamera at this point.
I like the looks of the Audi wagon much more than the 3 series wagon that BMW offers

But in the end I have a hard time spending that kind of cash on a plumped up VW
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Yay I guess, but I'd have much prefered if they brought back the S4 Avant instead... something a lot more affordable and useful with a great engine (but I guess they feel the Allroad fills that gap with it's 'commanding driving position' and must-have for soccer moms plastic cladding)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When do you think Audi is going to start making US market cars in Mexico?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
When do you think Audi is going to start making US market cars in Mexico?
Not sure that I care. Initial quality on MX VW's has been higher than DE assembled ones.

But I assume we'll get the RS6 Avant right after the manual RS3 five door we've been promised for about a decade now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
The RS6 does not have a DSG transmission. It has an ZF8 planetary automatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not sure that I care. Initial quality on MX VW's has been higher than DE assembled ones.

But I assume we'll get the RS6 Avant right after the manual RS3 five door we've been promised for about a decade now.
Initial quality ratings are far less concern to me personally than long term reliability of major components

I suspect that VAG will continue to ignore its customer base......that at least is one thing they've demonstrated great affinity for over many many years
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The RS6 does not have a DSG transmission. It has an ZF8 planetary automatic.
Is that the same tranny they are using in the 2 series bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that the same tranny they are using in the 2 series bimmer?
In the sense that it comes from ZF and has eight forward gears. Probably the same one that's in the 760iL.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Initial quality ratings are far less concern to me personally than long term reliability of major components

I suspect that VAG will continue to ignore its customer base......that at least is one thing they've demonstrated great affinity for over many many years
I've owned two German Audii and would say that long term durability of many things I buy at the grocery store is better. MX couldn't do any worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Deposit down covering both RS4 and RS6. Long term durability isn't a concern for me, well it is for dad but not for his cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Saw the article a few weeks back. Was initially thinking this would be awesome, then saw the price. Looks like it'll pass the AMG E63 wagon easily, given what the regular S6 sedan costs. The Panamera is yet another step up, the base 6cyl model starts at the same price as the optioned E63, so with options and similar powertrain, the Porsche is more like 150K at least. Would be nice if we had more choices. The polestars unfortunately don't perform as well as the 335/340 models, but cost M-prices. If their performance was significantly better, they'd be an option. If someone did this right, I'd be all over it. I don't necessarily want a big heavy car, so I'd like something around the M3/4 size more than the next bigger size, but that means the E63 stays on the horizon. If there was another CTS-V wagon...
      04-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The polestars unfortunately don't perform as well as the 335/340 models, but cost M-prices.
Even with the new twin-charged I4 under the hood now which has more power and weighs less? That's a bummer. But in any case, I agree that they are just too expensive for what you get at $60k+.

Quote:
If someone did this right, I'd be all over it. I don't necessarily want a big heavy car, so I'd like something around the M3/4 size more than the next bigger size, but that means the E63 stays on the horizon. If there was another CTS-V wagon...
For me the Golf SportWagen R would be the sweet spot. Priced at $40k with performance about like a 335i. Sadly, VW didn't end up importing it - most likely due at least in some part to the diesel scandal. The previous generation Jetta SportWagen's brisk sales were due in large part to the diesel engine availability - roughly 90% (!) of its sales were diesels. There were even some months during its lifespan where it outsold the Golf/GTI. By contrast, with the diesel gone, sales of the new Golf Sportwagen are much slower. So the R had no chance of being considered for this market. By next generation, the new Alltrack model will probably kill the Sportwagen for good in this country.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Saw the article a few weeks back. Was initially thinking this would be awesome, then saw the price. Looks like it'll pass the AMG E63 wagon easily, given what the regular S6 sedan costs. The Panamera is yet another step up, the base 6cyl model starts at the same price as the optioned E63, so with options and similar powertrain, the Porsche is more like 150K at least. Would be nice if we had more choices. The polestars unfortunately don't perform as well as the 335/340 models, but cost M-prices. If their performance was significantly better, they'd be an option. If someone did this right, I'd be all over it. I don't necessarily want a big heavy car, so I'd like something around the M3/4 size more than the next bigger size, but that means the E63 stays on the horizon. If there was another CTS-V wagon...
Perfect for us would be either an S4 Avant or a 340 Sport Wagon. Unfortunately it looks like neither will happen so will have to step up to the RS4. Hoping that comes here not the RS6 if they only pick one. Don't get me wrong the RS6 is going to be awesome, but size-wise and $-wise the RS4 would be better for dad.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perfect for us would be either an S4 Avant or a 340 Sport Wagon. Unfortunately it looks like neither will happen so will have to step up to the RS4. Hoping that comes here not the RS6 if they only pick one. Don't get me wrong the RS6 is going to be awesome, but size-wise and $-wise the RS4 would be better for dad.
I would not hold my breath for either coming here - but especially not the RS4.

It seems to me that if one wants a high performance wagon, does not care about its size, and can afford to spend $100k, the S213 E63 is the way to go. It's a real product that is available to order today (or soon in any case).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I would not hold my breath for either coming here - but especially not the RS4.

It seems to me that if one wants a high performance wagon, does not care about its size, and can afford to spend $100k, the S213 E63 is the way to go. It's a real product that is available to order today (or soon in any case).
He doesn't like the E63 and doesn't want anything that big. I probably would not put money down if it were just for RS6, but since I could do both at once what the hell. Tying up $500 isn't a big deal just to have the option.

Unfortunately for a variety of reasons I am not in a position to wait a moment longer than necessary if one of the Avants comes here and he wants it. Realistically chances are slim that he'd actually want either he loves his Dinan BMW wagon that's not even a year old. But $500 is very cheap money, especially since fully refundable, for insurance on 2 years from now Audi coming here and him wanting it without waiting.
Appreciate 0