BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dirtbag dealer sells custom order Dodge Demon 170 from under active duty soldier.

12-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Dirtbag dealer sells custom order Dodge Demon 170 from under active duty soldier.

Ran across this in my Youtube feed and it's starting to gain some legs. Long and the short of it is Mac Haik sold out from underneath an active duty soldier currently deployed in Iraq. The soldier just happened to see a post in an FB group that a member had just taken delivery of the soldier's car. So far the dealership has done nothing to correct the situation and there is rumor that Dodge may be stepping up to make this right.

My soapbox is this is the crap that is allowed to happen when dealers are allowed to sell cars over MSRP and this is what you get.

Spreading the word to at least have public opinion put pressure on Dodge and Mack Haik to do the right thing.

Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      12-29-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Stealerships will do what stealerships will do
I'd trust them as far as I can toss them
Appreciate 4
RM72870.00
Donatello.1015.50
xander_g962.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      12-29-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Appreciate 4
yousefnjr6112.00
nunzo743.00
John4C837.00
      12-29-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

lol, and people wonder why there are those of us that can't wait for the dealer model to be a thing of the past. They have done this to themselves.
Accentu8701.00
      12-29-2023, 11:12 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I wish I could say I'm surprised.

I'm more surprised at the $120k sticker price on a dodge challenger.
Appreciate 3
      12-30-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

I was thinking the same. 120 for that junk. Oy Vey. Side note, hope the dude that’s responsible for selling it from under that dude gets ass cancer. Scumbag!!!!!
Appreciate 1
Accentu8701.00
      12-30-2023, 09:12 PM   #7
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

No surprise here. THey did save him from wasting 6 figures on a modern Challenger, though
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 3
HondaRC51242.00
Torgus3779.00
Accentu8701.00
      12-30-2023, 10:55 PM   #8
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
No surprise here. THey did save him from wasting 6 figures on a modern Challenger, though

I was thinking the same thing! He’s much better off in the long run either saving the money or if Dodge does him a solid by selling him one at MSRP.

Regardless, the bad press for Mac Haik is very well deserved!
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1015.50
Accentu8701.00
      12-30-2023, 11:25 PM   #9
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

With the $50K markup, he’s in it for over $200K.

If G.I. Joe was a real patriot, he would have spent our money on a car made in America.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #10
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

That's just one private business screwing one soldier. Totally unacceptable, but not the end of the world and certainly not life and death.

On other other hand, do I have to list hundreds, if not thousands, of examples of how the government screws soldiers? (now and in the past)
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1015.50
HondaRC51242.00
      01-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I and a couple veteran friends are scratching our heads how someone on active duty has the funds to afford a $150K+ car? Buying a car like that suggests an annual income of $500K+ year or a $5M net worth. The solider must have a doctor for a wife. Maybe this guy got saved from making a silly financial decision buying a crap Dodge product? I'm also amazed the suckers that are willing to pay this sort of money for a Dodge product.

All my veteran friends absolutely hate being pandered to or given special treatment and attention because of their prior service especially the "Thank you for your service" they get often. According to them, it's something that really didn't start happening until the 2001/Iraq/Afghanistan. They feel it's awkward, unnecessary, and just plain weird.

And for those wondering, this crap Dodge dealer apparently is trying to make things right. According to them, the wife wasn't overly responsive regarding arrangement to buy and pick up the car. Then it was going to be someone's dad, etc. Per them, that's when they choose to sell the car another sucker willing to pay $100K over MSRP. My God. It's still not clear to me if the original person actually put a deposit down or something else. This sounds like a combo of a super crappy, greedy dealer and a bit of miscommunication on the buyer's end.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-01-2024 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 7
      01-02-2024, 04:58 AM   #12
M2CS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I and a couple veteran friends are scratching our heads how someone on active duty has the funds to afford a $150K+ car? Buying a car like that suggests an annual income of $500K+ year or a $5M net worth. The solider must have a doctor for a wife. Maybe this guy got saved from making a silly financial decision buying a crap Dodge product? I'm also amazed the suckers that are willing to pay this sort of money for a Dodge product.

All my veteran friends absolutely hate being pandered to or given special treatment and attention because of their prior service especially the "Thank you for your service" they get often. According to them, it's something that really didn't start happening until the 2001/Iraq/Afghanistan. They feel it's awkward, unnecessary, and just plain weird.

And for those wondering, this crap Dodge dealer apparently is trying to make things right. According to them, the wife wasn't overly responsive regarding arrangement to buy and pick up the car. Then it was going to be someone's dad, etc. Per them, that's when they choose to sell the car another sucker willing to pay $100K over MSRP. My God. It's still not clear to me if the original person actually put a deposit down or something else. This sounds like a combo of a super crappy, greedy dealer and a bit of miscommunication on the buyer's end.
Re-enlistment bonuses for some careers are quite big.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #13
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, it really depends, in some jobs there could be re-up bonuses, they could be racking up flight pay and other hazard pay at the same time, making bank. It's not completely clear what their rank is anyway, it seems to not be discussed, we could have everything from E to W to O. Fighter pilots are being given giant bonuses to stay on, for example. Could be anything from a cook to a helicopter pilot.
      01-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I have to agree. I would be pleased if it went away. After 20 years of it it just feels kind of gratuitous now. I pretty much agree with Larry David’s character.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-02-2024, 11:41 AM   #15
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
$100K over for a Dodge...What is this world coming to?
Appreciate 1
Accentu8701.00
      01-02-2024, 12:34 PM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
If G.I. Joe was a real patriot, he would have spent our money on a car made in America.
Wow, you really just said that.

I can guarantee that whatever you're driving isn't 100% American designed or assembled. Besides, what is America if not a melting pot? Wait, don't answer that, I don't really want to start a conversation with you.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #17
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

A next door neighbor of mine once told me the same thing. He was retired Army, gulf war vet.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:33 AM   #18
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:

I have no idea if this is the situation or not, but if you ever go to the Norfolk area (and maybe this situation exists in a lot of large military cities) there are an absurd number of American muscle cars. Hellcats, Trackhawks, GT350s, Camaro SS etc, etc as far as the eye can see. Young people joining the service that have never had money before and are totally irresponsible with it get big sign up bonuses and head straight to these dealers and put it all down and get loans with extortionary interest rates to buy the cars they always wanted.
Appreciate 2
M3WC3639.00
      01-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
I have no idea if this is the situation or not, but if you ever go to the Norfolk area (and maybe this situation exists in a lot of large military cities) there are an absurd number of American muscle cars. Hellcats, Trackhawks, GT350s, Camaro SS etc, etc as far as the eye can see. Young people joining the service that have never had money before and are totally irresponsible with it get big sign up bonuses and head straight to these dealers and put it all down and get loans with extortionary interest rates to buy the cars they always wanted.
I've seen the same at AF and army bases I've worked at back in the 2000-2010s. Lots of newer Vettes, muscle cars, Audis, and BMWs. I assumed they were owned by higher ranking staff or by staff that were getting big sums of hazard pay in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had no idea the government pays such high reenlistment bonuses. It makes sense given that they rarely make big salary jumps and don't get decent annual bonuses like many non-government white collar employees get.

It's a very important job and there can be a lot of sacrifice, so please don't take anything wrong by what I posted prior.
      01-03-2024, 06:59 PM   #20
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll just say this. Anyone who walks around with a combat rifle with the intent of getting into harms way, well in my book they can buy any car they effing want.
Amen. They should actually get a major discount!! If you served and were sent into battle, discount on any car you want and pay
Lower taxes. At a minimum
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16941.50
Accentu8701.00
      01-03-2024, 11:19 PM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll just say this. Anyone who walks around with a combat rifle with the intent of getting into harms way, well in my book they can buy any car they effing want.
The reality in the military is that this isn't everyone, by far.

This is the one thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing. First, young kids getting into the military have no real idea what they are doing. Their brain isn't fully developed yet, they aren't making good decisions. This is one reason that businesses, especially those associated with loans, prey on them, but back to the actual military part of it: There are so many different jobs and many of those are not even in harms way, yet, people automatically think it's always like in the picture at the beginning of this thread, an infantryman or something like that. And I had no real idea what I was getting into. I thought I did at the time, but in reality, I did not. I served my time and there were good and bad times, but the idea that people made a "decision to sacrifice" is overblown. I interact with plenty of guardsmen and reserve that are milking the system over and over.

And then without the people back home, doing their job every day, there's nothing to defend. A teacher is at least as much of a hero to me and everyone doing their job is just as important, because again, without them there is no purpose to it all. There are people in all walks of life that deserve a hell of a lot more recognition for what they do than "all the people in the military".
      01-04-2024, 01:33 AM   #22
M2CS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
The reality in the military is that this isn't everyone, by far.

This is the one thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing. First, young kids getting into the military have no real idea what they are doing. Their brain isn't fully developed yet, they aren't making good decisions. This is one reason that businesses, especially those associated with loans, prey on them, but back to the actual military part of it: There are so many different jobs and many of those are not even in harms way, yet, people automatically think it's always like in the picture at the beginning of this thread, an infantryman or something like that. And I had no real idea what I was getting into. I thought I did at the time, but in reality, I did not. I served my time and there were good and bad times, but the idea that people made a "decision to sacrifice" is overblown. I interact with plenty of guardsmen and reserve that are milking the system over and over.

And then without the people back home, doing their job every day, there's nothing to defend. A teacher is at least as much of a hero to me and everyone doing their job is just as important, because again, without them there is no purpose to it all. There are people in all walks of life that deserve a hell of a lot more recognition for what they do than "all the people in the military".
Everyone in the military regardless of their job contributes to the defense of the country. The Marines/Sailors/Soldiers/Airman in direct combat jobs cannot effectively do their job without all the support from almost every other military career field.

As for young kids (who are 18+) with under-developed brains being taken advantage of by the military. You could make the same argument about universities since student loan debt currently stands at over $1.77 trillion. Who's milking who?

There are civilians that receive more recognition for their jobs and contributions to society than "all people in the military".
Appreciate 2
DubaiRich123.00
Accentu8701.00