BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Winter tire ; 22inch wheel and tire

09-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
toberight
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Winter tire ; 22inch wheel and tire

A few days ago, a tire store told me that Lamborghini Urus' 22-inch Winter Tire size could fit into the X7.

X7 22" tire sizes are 275/40/22 front wheels, 315/35/22 rear wheels
Front Wheel 9.5J / 22, Rear Wheel 10.5J / 22

Urus 22" Scorpion Winter Tire Specification 285/40/22, 325/35/22

Can you really fit the X7 22-inch wheel without wheel housing interference with the Winter Tire size of the Urus?
Attached Images

Last edited by toberight; 09-19-2019 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

I may get these too if they’ll work. Can they be mounted on our 22” stock rims?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

You could use them, but just know that the front tires are .3" taller than stock size. There is approximately a .5" clearance on the front upper control arm that curves over top of the front tires. So, it will only have 0.2" of clearance with the taller/wider tires. That's a pretty small gap.

Also, those sizes are determined using an online tire size calculator based purely on size, tires can vary in size a little from brand to brand even though they state a particular size.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

So does anybody know when Pirelli will make a winter tire for the X7 rear 22 inch rims? I find it hard to believe that we are getting ready to go into the first winter season with the X7 with absolutely no option for rear winter tires. This is ridiculous. I cannot even get a straight answer if BMW is going to provide any winter package for the X7 this year!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
So does anybody know when Pirelli will make a winter tire for the X7 rear 22 inch rims? I find it hard to believe that we are getting ready to go into the first winter season with the X7 with absolutely no option for rear winter tires. This is ridiculous. I cannot even get a straight answer if BMW is going to provide any winter package for the X7 this year!!
I was told winter sets should be available by end of Sept or early Oct, so I am waiting as well, as performance tires in MN are not great option for winter
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I cannot even get a straight answer if BMW is going to provide any winter package for the X7 this year!!
Why would it be any different then the X5 offering?

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...EEL---TIRE-SET
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:
I cannot even get a straight answer if BMW is going to provide any winter package for the X7 this year!!
Why would it be any different then the X5 offering?

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6520/M-PERFORMANCE-20-INCH-STYLE-748M-BLACK-COLD-WEATHER-WHEEL---TIRE-SET
They even have staggered winter sets like this one

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...-TIRE-ASSEMBLY

Therefore I think it is worth waiting and most likely something along this line will be available soon
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post

Therefore I think it is worth waiting and most likely something along this line will be available soon
Personally I’d never buy a auto manufacturers winter offering. It’s always going to be exponentially more expensive then the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
This has been identified and discussed for some time. Sadly, I’m not aware of Pirelli’s or anyone’s intention to make a 22” winter tire for the x7. The best option is to get a 2nd set of 21” wheels. Otherwise, until further notice, prospective buyers that expect to drive below 50F often should avoid the 22” wheel option. Sooner or later something will arrive, but it will probably be costly. I chose 21’s for this reason and I’m in GA.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Personally I’d never buy a auto manufacturers winter offering. It’s always going to be exponentially more expensive then the aftermarket.
I am not so sure if the set is going for $4k and tires typically $400 per tire then the rims with TPMs are $600, very similar to aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not so sure if the set is going for $4k and tires typically $400 per tire then the rims with TPMs are $600, very similar to aftermarket
Disagree. I’ve bought numerous sets of winter setups over the years and have never came close to the manufacturers offerings. Many of the sets I’ve had were OEM take offs I picked up on Craigslist or eBay for a steal.

Yohohama Iceguards are selling for $122 a piece right now on Tirerack in the 20” X5/X7 size.
Dunlop Wintersport $152

Last edited by BMWBear; 09-22-2019 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree. I've bought numerous sets of winter setups over the years and have never came close to the manufacturers offerings. Many of the sets I've had were OEM take offs I picked up on Craigslist or eBay for a steal.

Yohohama Iceguards are selling for $122 a piece right now on Tirerack in the 20" X5/X7 size.
Dunlop Wintersport $152
Ok let's compare apples to apples. If you are saying that you purchase eBay deals then this can not be compared to new as dealer does not sale used, we can call take offs any way we like but is not brand new anymore. Same like buying car.

On tires I disagree, you always get a cheap ones and more expensive while you see not much of a difference while normal driving you will see significant difference in emergency situation. I agree you can get tires for low, but seriously to by $100k plus car and then save $1000-1500 on tires it does not go together.

I guess everyone will have different view on this
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
This has been identified and discussed for some time. Sadly, I’m not aware of Pirelli’s or anyone’s intention to make a 22” winter tire for the x7. The best option is to get a 2nd set of 21” wheels. Otherwise, until further notice, prospective buyers that expect to drive below 50F often should avoid the 22” wheel option. Sooner or later something will arrive, but it will probably be costly. I chose 21’s for this reason and I’m in GA.
That’s what I did as well. I like the look of 22s but can’t be bothered with buying winter wheels and switching tires twice a year... I’m in the northeast and go skiing all the time in the winter, so summer tires are not a option year round. I had all-seasons for last three years on my Audi Q7 and they were just fine in winters, didn’t feel the need for a dedicated winter tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok let's compare apples to apples. If you are saying that you purchase eBay deals then this can not be compared to new as dealer does not sale used, we can call take offs any way we like but is not brand new anymore. Same like buying car.

On tires I disagree, you always get a cheap ones and more expensive while you see not much of a difference while normal driving you will see significant difference in emergency situation. I agree you can get tires for low, but seriously to by $100k plus car and then save $1000-1500 on tires it does not go together.

So you’re saying because the X7 is 100k you need to spend more money on wheels and tires to be safe? That’s some odd logic.
To me as long as the wheel and tire are certified for the weight and performance of the vehicle anything is fair game. I’ve run Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlop winter tires through some brutal Chicago winters and they’ve all performed very well. Dunlop’s being one of the best performing winter tires on the market and are a steal at the price being offered.
If you want to pay list price for brand new wheels that are going to go through hell then go for it. I’m just informing others there are alternatives. New take offs or low mileage take offs are certainly a good option. To me saving $100 is still a savings especially when the higher priced option adds no safety or performance value. No mater what the cost of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
toberight
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

When I asked BMW service center, xDrive system is a sensitive system, so if the tire size is different from the regulation, it could be recognized as a problem, and if the device fails, it could be rejected as an A/S.
Make sure you consider this problem before installing winter tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So you’re saying because the X7 is 100k you need to spend more money on wheels and tires to be safe? That’s some odd logic.
To me as long as the wheel and tire are certified for the weight and performance of the vehicle anything is fair game. I’ve run Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlop winter tires through some brutal Chicago winters and they’ve all performed very well. Dunlop’s being one of the best performing winter tires on the market and are a steal at the price being offered.
If you want to pay list price for brand new wheels that are going to go through hell then go for it. I’m just informing others there are alternatives. New take offs or low mileage take offs are certainly a good option. To me saving $100 is still a savings especially when the higher priced option adds no safety or performance value. No mater what the cost of the vehicle.
What I am saying is that the same like with cars we can buy Chevy for $40k or higher class car with different performance for more, all of them will get us from point A to point B, but they will have different performance. Tires are very specific for casual drivers you might not see a difference however as i said you will have very different performance in a critical situation which I hope you never see. This is the primary difference between the top tires and the medium.

Do not get me wrong I buy stuff on e bay but if I do this I buy OEM as with other units how do you know who certified them and for what?
The OEM wheels are all Xrayed for internal defects while the lower cost one might not be checked, this prevents from sudden issues like cracking.
I deal with technology and manufacturing also I have studied topics related to tire production perhaps I am biased then.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I am saying is that the same like with cars we can buy Chevy for $40k or higher class car with different performance for more, all of them will get us from point A to point B, but they will have different performance. Tires are very specific for casual drivers you might not see a difference however as i said you will have very different performance in a critical situation which I hope you never see. This is the primary difference between the top tires and the medium.

Do not get me wrong I buy stuff on e bay but if I do this I buy OEM as with other units how do you know who certified them and for what?
The OEM wheels are all Xrayed for internal defects while the lower cost one might not be checked, this prevents from sudden issues like cracking.
I deal with technology and manufacturing also I have studied topics related to tire production perhaps I am biased then.
Sorry but your bias comes strictly from price. Just because the tire is more affordable that doesn’t mean it’s of a lower quality. My suggestion was also using OEM take offs so that is an OEM. Having OEM doesn’t make you invincible to cracks. Many aftermarket wheels actually follow higher standards then that of OEM. There are places online where you can go to verify their certifications. It really needs to be looked at on a case per case basis. I certainly would never say one is better then the other strictly based on price. I also wouldn’t go as far as stating something as a fact when it’s clearly an opinion.

Anyway moving on.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #18
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry but your bias comes strictly from price. Just because the tire is more affordable that doesn’t mean it’s of a lower quality. My suggestion was also using OEM take offs so that is an OEM. Having OEM doesn’t make you invincible to cracks. Many aftermarket wheels actually follow higher standards then that of OEM. There are places online where you can go to verify their certifications. It really needs to be looked at on a case per case basis. I certainly would never say one is better then the other strictly based on price. I also wouldn’t go as far as stating something as a fact when it’s clearly an opinion.

Anyway moving on.
I am sure we will not get this resolved, I started responding on this thinking we all talk about New then you added take offs and so on, I guess no one here need to be convinced on the fact that used or take offs are cheaper than brand new, I agree on this

Tires are more complicated than most would think, I will stay in my opinion not based on price but in fact, simply knowing the investment in R&D the top take vs the mid and lower grade. This has to be replaced on price
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #19
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toberight View Post
A few days ago, a tire store told me that Lamborghini Urus' 22-inch Winter Tire size could fit into the X7.

Can you really fit the X7 22-inch wheel without wheel housing interference with the Winter Tire size of the Urus?
I was at the dealer today and they just got winter packages, there are 3 options available for X7 all are non staggered one is 20" and two 21", the 21" options one is completely black and other is machined and gray. The black is $3700 and the machined is $4k

I do not see those on the website yet

Question for all, there is nice set for the x5 M50i which I like best but dealer is telling me that those are not compatible with X7 does any one knows the deal? Can X5 wheel be placed on X7

Here is what dealer is mentioning.
" I looked up the tire diameter for each and found the x5 to be 29.6" vs 30.9 for the x7. I am sure that the wheels are incompatible as well because if they were the same BMW wouldnt have made separate packages for the different models"
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was at the dealer today and they just got winter packages, there are 3 options available for X7 all are non staggered one is 20" and two 21", the 21" options one is completely black and other is machined and gray. The black is $3700 and the machined is $4k

Question for all, there is nice set for the x5 M50i which I like best but dealer is telling me that those are not compatible with X7 does any one knows the deal? Can X5 wheel be placed on X7

" I looked up the tire diameter for each and found the x5 to be 29.6" vs 30.9 for the x7. I am sure that the wheels are incompatible as well because if they were the same BMW wouldnt have made separate packages for the different models"
I have made decision and purchased the winter set as shown, those are the wheels available on x7 M50i when building cars, 21" and comes with Blizzak LM001 Bridgestone winter tires the set goes for $4k
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #21
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have made decision and purchased the winter set as shown, those are the wheels available on x7 M50i when building cars, 21" and comes with Blizzak LM001 Bridgestone winter tires the set goes for $4k
Also this wheel also 21" and something 20" and very plane is available as winter sets this year, so there are 3 options
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #22
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

These black ones above are cool. Where can I get them???
Appreciate 0