BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Choosing between 40i and M50i

10-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Choosing between 40i and M50i

For folks who've driven the X7 in both 40i and M50i guise, I'd love your thoughts or observations on the differences in the driving experience. My current lease is up in a few months and I'll be ordering an X7, but I'm still undecided on whether to go with the 40i or the M50i.

Day to day, I don't drive much, since I work from a home office. But I'm a huge fan of long road trips, and I want something that's roomy, quiet, has a comfortable ride, and has plenty of power for mountain travel and for passing on highways.

Obviously the M50i has the "plenty of power" box ticked, but as a result, is it noticeably louder at regular cruising speeds than the 40i? There was an article in, I believe, Car and Driver that showed the 40i and 50i having the same (very low) interior noise level, but I'm wondering if the M50i has a different exhaust that intrudes into the cabin more than the other two?

As far as the ride goes, is the M50i's ride any less comfortable than the 40i's (perhaps due to differences in suspension tuning)?

I'm fine with the price difference and I'm currently leaning towards the M50i for the grin factor and (if I'm being honest) because those blue insets in the Laserlight headlights look very cool. But if the M50i is noticeably louder or rougher-riding than the 40i (on highway travel in particular), then I'd have to re-evaluate.

Just hoping to get a sense of the difference from anyone who's maybe experienced both. Thanks.

Edit: Just for clarification, I'm not considering the regular 50i, because I want the look of the M Sport package which is no longer available on the 50i.

Last edited by DenverMisanthrope; 10-05-2019 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Short addendum
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Put in our order for a m50i. For us when we optioned out a 40i vs m50i the price difference justified the better engine and brakes. With test drives my wife prefes a sportier ride which is why we are getting rid of our MB gls450
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I bought the 40i and added the M brakes. I do a LOT of highway driving. I have the vehicle six weeks so far and am near 5,000 miles. I find the motor more than enough power. I have never wished it had a bit more punch. I also fly the upper speed envelope more often than not.

When you factor in at least 20% better fuel efficiency, I could not justify the added expense for what admittedly is a cooler car, but not necessarily a better car. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

A few things:

1. If you're buying, get the 40i - the straight six b58 is much more reliable than the V8.

2. As far as power, I didn't notice much difference 0-60 (the 40i torque comes in at quite low rpms and is a little lighter) the 50i was a bit better 60-80, but that's not to say the 40i was underpowered just that I noticed more of a difference. I haven't been in a situation with my 40i where I have felt that it needed more. It's plenty quick and faster than you would need in real world driving (ie. Not tracking or racing), including merging and speeding out of unsafe situations on the highway.

3. Cost - similarly loaded M50i is about 15-20K more (though dealers are more willing to discount). But the gas mileage is another thing to consider - especially on long trips - it's a 25% improvement vs the 50i on Highway.

I went with the 40i cause saving 15-20k is cool (plus gas savings) and not worth the 10 times over 5-7 years that I would wish I had the (in my opinion) marginal extra power.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Hello from a guy that grew up in Castle Rock.

I've driven all three X7 models in test drives, and can answer your questions, but have not had extended ownership driving yet.

Basically, I have not found any difference in the vehicle handling, between the three models, they all pretty much handle the same and provide the same comfort, based on the suspension options you order with each one. No, the M50i is not a rougher ride. The difference really is in the power, which IMHO the 40i has plenty of, the 50i has excess fun with, and the M50i is just stupid fun extra power.

Yes, the M50i is plenty quiet at driving speeds. You do hear its throaty growl during accelerations as it snaps your neck back, but it's still plenty quiet for cruising.

IMHO the 40i is plenty fine as a car, but if you're ok with the extra purchase and ongoing gas costs with the M50i, sure, why not? There's nothing to regret other than the price. No harsh ride, just the big kick of acceleration.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Fantastic, thanks for your comments, guys. Reassuring to know that either choice is a good one. The 40i is definitely the *smarter* choice for me, given how little I typically drive, but the X7 is already a massive overindulgence for me.

But I mean, in for a penny, in for a pound, eh?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

If ride quality is the same, I'd go M50i
      10-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Wait for the Alpina XB7

or just go large and the the Rolls Royce Cullinan, I call it the X9.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
M50i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

I will have my 2020 X7 m50i this week. Does anyone know of a tuner in San Francisco bay area that can tune the X7 to get a little bit more power?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
For folks who've driven the X7 in both 40i and M50i guise, I'd love your thoughts or observations on the differences in the driving experience. My current lease is up in a few months and I'll be ordering an X7, but I'm still undecided on whether to go with the 40i or the M50i.

Day to day, I don't drive much, since I work from a home office. But I'm a huge fan of long road trips, and I want something that's roomy, quiet, has a comfortable ride, and has plenty of power for mountain travel and for passing on highways.

Obviously the M50i has the "plenty of power" box ticked, but as a result, is it noticeably louder at regular cruising speeds than the 40i? There was an article in, I believe, Car and Driver that showed the 40i and 50i having the same (very low) interior noise level, but I'm wondering if the M50i has a different exhaust that intrudes into the cabin more than the other two?

As far as the ride goes, is the M50i's ride any less comfortable than the 40i's (perhaps due to differences in suspension tuning)?

I'm fine with the price difference and I'm currently leaning towards the M50i for the grin factor and (if I'm being honest) because those blue insets in the Laserlight headlights look very cool. But if the M50i is noticeably louder or rougher-riding than the 40i (on highway travel in particular), then I'd have to re-evaluate.

Just hoping to get a sense of the difference from anyone who's maybe experienced both. Thanks.

Edit: Just for clarification, I'm not considering the regular 50i, because I want the look of the M Sport package which is no longer available on the 50i.
I have driven all of them 40i, 50i and M50i and I own the M50i

The ride comfort or noise level inside is technically the same unless you push the throttle and the you hear more the V8, you can select in I Drive the noise of the exhaust I never tried to change but I think you can select low noise at all instances, I have selected as noise based on driving mode.

When it comes for passing I say M50i is the thing that makes you smile it is flying, and does not matter what speed you start with, sure all comes at cost of fuel consumption but on the long distance is not bad with 80mph goes around 23mpg or so driving on comfort mode

Do not get me wrong 40i is quite impressive on acceleration however M50i is another Category. I had Maserati Ghibli and I have to say the X7 M50i accelerated faster and is amazing how glued is to the road on corners it makes you wonder how it is possible.

If you looking for excuse to have fun while with family M50i is the one.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTJeebus View Post
Put in our order for a m50i. For us when we optioned out a 40i vs m50i the price difference justified the better engine and brakes. With test drives my wife prefes a sportier ride which is why we are getting rid of our MB gls450
I'm coming from a GLS450 too and went with a 2020 x7 40iM. The ride is definitely more sporty. I cannot speak to the engine vs the GLS450 since I haven't pushed it yet, I'm still in the break-in period. My x7 is a few days old and only had 3 miles on it when I picked it up. I suspect based on the limited pushing I have done that it feels like it has more power then the GLS450 but it's too early to tell.
Appreciate 1
OTJeebus135.50
      10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50i View Post
I will have my 2020 X7 m50i this week. Does anyone know of a tuner in San Francisco bay area that can tune the X7 to get a little bit more power?
Unfortunately with latest update BMW put a lock on DMEs (V8 has two ECUs). So it may take a while.
      10-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
M50i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Is there a kit for muffler delete for the M50i X7?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #14
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTJeebus View Post
I'm coming from a GLS450 too and went with a 2020 x7 40iM. The ride is definitely more sporty. I cannot speak to the engine vs the GLS450 since I haven't pushed it yet, I'm still in the break-in period. My x7 is a few days old and only had 3 miles on it when I picked it up. I suspect based on the limited pushing I have done that it feels like it has more power then the GLS450 but it's too early to tell.
Who told you that you are in break in period?
Real in is something from the past today's engines don it need break in anymore unless you buy something really outdated.
The tolerances on bore and piston form and size are much higher and the measurement of the components is more accurate so parts fit correctly from a day one.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #15
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Real in is something from the past today's engines don it need break in anymore unless you buy something really outdated.
The tolerances on bore and piston form and size are much higher and the measurement of the components is more accurate so parts fit correctly from a day one.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. All or most of the BMW M cars have break-in periods of 1,200 miles. I agree it matters a lot less now than in the past.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Straight from BMW.com

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html

The right way to break in a new car

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

Special guidelines apply to BMW i and M models; those purchasing these models will be provided with the specific details.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
nubova
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I have driven all of them 40i, 50i and M50i and I own the M50i

The ride comfort or noise level inside is technically the same unless you push the throttle and the you hear more the V8, you can select in I Drive the noise of the exhaust I never tried to change but I think you can select low noise at all instances, I have selected as noise based on driving mode.

When it comes for passing I say M50i is the thing that makes you smile it is flying, and does not matter what speed you start with, sure all comes at cost of fuel consumption but on the long distance is not bad with 80mph goes around 23mpg or so driving on comfort mode

Do not get me wrong 40i is quite impressive on acceleration however M50i is another Category. I had Maserati Ghibli and I have to say the X7 M50i accelerated faster and is amazing how glued is to the road on corners it makes you wonder how it is possible.

If you looking for excuse to have fun while with family M50i is the one.

Where in the iDrive can you set this?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubova View Post
Where in the iDrive can you set this?
Car > Settings > General > Engine Sound
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
nubova
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarecki View Post
Car > Settings > General > Engine Sound
Odd. Don't see this.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
Jarecki
Private
Rep

Quote:
Odd. Don't see this.
Weird, I'll double check I remember this correctly when I'm back at the car. Do you have the M50i?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #21
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:
Straight from BMW.com

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html

The right way to break in a new car

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

Special guidelines apply to BMW i and M models; those purchasing these models will be provided with the specific details.
Thanks,

I need to add the rest of article specifying the break in

During the new car break-in period, take note of the following tips:

For the first 200 miles, new tires will not yet provide full grip. This is because a release lubricant used in the manufacturing process has to be worn away from the tire surface. Adjust your driving accordingly to prevent accidents.
Similarly, the brakes won't become fully effective for the first 300 miles as the brake pads and discs will need to adjust to one other. You should therefore drive cautiously.
The shock absorbers and springs will also need some time to become fully effective. That's why you should not push your new car to its limits during the first 1,000 miles or so.
While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as it's no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.

The fact that you do not exchange oil after 1000 gives a lot of inside, that metal shaving is not expected anymore. Other tips are typical never push car until get the right temp,

Anyhow those are more cautioning topics, we need to keep in mind automaker asking not to race but if it happens that you cross the RPM for short the speed etc nothing will happen.

I would guess if this would be a big deal dealer would ask drivers to sign that they will not stress the car in first 1300 as this would affect the warranty. I have not been asked to sign anything in this case so this would further confirm more caution then real issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #22
Jarecki
Private
Rep

Quote:
Odd. Don't see this.
Like I said:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0