BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum B&W Sound System

11-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

B&W Sound System

Contemplating adding the B&W option to my X7 order. I’m currently in an XC90 with “similar” B&W system. What struck me immediately when listening to the system in the X7 was that it didn’t sound as full and immersive as my XC90. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does it just require some tweaking?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

I don't know if it requires tweaking, but if you listened in the showroom and didn't check the setup, I'd be suspicious of it. I listened to a lot of systems over the 2 years we spent looking for our car, and most of the time I had to go in and reset the EQ (not just the treble/bass) to get things back to a reasonable state.
I would also check the "sound profile" settings. Depending on the source / track, sometimes I get pleasing results from them, and sometimes they just sound a bit strange.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Contemplating adding the B&W option to my X7 order. I’m currently in an XC90 with “similar” B&W system. What struck me immediately when listening to the system in the X7 was that it didn’t sound as full and immersive as my XC90. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does it just require some tweaking?
It's been 9 months Volvo bought back my XC90 maybe I don't remember how good it sounded but when I test the HK system on the X7, I felt it sounded adequate where I didn't feel the need to spend the extra $$ on the B&W.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
ATX512
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

I have 2020 X7 40i. Special ordered it and decided to pass on the BW sound. Just got my wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with Harmon Kardon and it sounds pretty good, with good base so I thought BMW Harmon Kardon should start least be as good, and most likely better. I was wrong. However I can’t really blame BMW. When I was in college I actually was a car stereo installer. Here’s the problem: the X7 interior is big! It is hard to get rich sound and good bass in such a roomy vehicle. I didn’t listen the the BW but now am really regretting I didn’t put more time into looking into it before I ordered. At least I leased, so lesson learned for next time!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
I have 2020 X7 40i. Special ordered it and decided to pass on the BW sound. Just got my wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with Harmon Kardon and it sounds pretty good, with good base so I thought BMW Harmon Kardon should start least be as good, and most likely better. I was wrong. However I can’t really blame BMW. When I was in college I actually was a car stereo installer. Here’s the problem: the X7 interior is big! It is hard to get rich sound and good bass in such a roomy vehicle. I didn’t listen the the BW but now am really regretting I didn’t put more time into looking into it before I ordered. At least I leased, so lesson learned for next time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
I have 2020 X7 40i. Special ordered it and decided to pass on the BW sound. Just got my wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with Harmon Kardon and it sounds pretty good, with good base so I thought BMW Harmon Kardon should start least be as good, and most likely better. I was wrong. However I can't really blame BMW. When I was in college I actually was a car stereo installer. Here's the problem: the X7 interior is big! It is hard to get rich sound and good bass in such a roomy vehicle. I didn't listen the the BW but now am really regretting I didn't put more time into looking into it before I ordered. At least I leased, so lesson learned for next time!
I hear you. I was pretty disappointed with the HK in a number of X7s I tested. It's not a bad setup overall, but for me it's too flat sounding. The B&W definitely is a superior system (which it should be for the price). It will be interesting to put it through the ringer when mine arrives.
Appreciate 0