forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum night visioin

11-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
lake x7
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW335ix

night visioin

Bought the car 1 week ago. Picked up my parents and drove into town for dinner. Had the night vision on and braked in time to miss a deer that ran out in front of us because it was picked up on the night vision. I'm happy to not ruin the car in the first week. It works. Can it also be put up on the heads up display?
Appreciate 2
vink92.00
      11-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake x7 View Post
Bought the car 1 week ago. Picked up my parents and drove into town for dinner. Had the night vision on and braked in time to miss a deer that ran out in front of us because it was picked up on the night vision. I'm happy to not ruin the car in the first week. It works. Can it also be put up on the heads up display?
I don't think so, at least not with out major coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Sales person when customizing the car told me that I can't realistically watch the night vision screen all the time when driving which could be a distraction. Though I was interested, I had to pass on it.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yeah, since home right now is Alaska, where massive moose can present a lethal threat on rural roads, particularly at night, I'll be getting Night Vision as well.

Yes, displaying night vision targets on the HUD would be the ultimate solution. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. First, notice the Field of View (FOV) of the HUD is very small. When you drive and look through your windshield, the HUD only takes up a small portion at the bottom and immediately in front of you, which is the portion of road that's only directly in front of the car, and several yards in front of the hood. If the night vision showed an animal in this area, it'd likely be too late to do little more than brake and hit the animal at a slower speed. (which would still have value) But because the rest of the world in front of you wouldn't highlight the same VR target as in the HUD, I'm sure BMW would want to avoid claims of "I ran right into that deer, that never got displayed in the HUD!"

That small Field of View (FOV) of the HUD is intentional. Again, notice it's right in front of you, and at the bottom, where most of the time it's being superimposed over the actual road in front of you. It's not in the position where it's going to be overlayed on top of obstacles on the side of the road, road posts, signposts, or overhead archway signs. BMW also wants to avoid claims of "I didn't see that barrier divider, because an object in my HUD obscured it", or "I couldn't read that traffic sign, because there was stuff in my HUD projected on top of it."

I fly an airplane with a HUD, and aviation has to deal with these topics as well. And pilots are highly trained. As much as I'd love, and could use, a full Field of View display in my vehicle, even wrap-around, highlighting obstacles, other vehicles, and targets like pedestrians and animals with VR, the mass driving public might not be able to handle those extra issues. Even if the components were cost effective.

Don't forget, the driving population includes some really, REALLY, stupid people out there, that would love to sue car manufacturers for their own stupid actions and lacking skills.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yeah, since home right now is Alaska, where massive moose can present a lethal threat on rural roads, particularly at night, I'll be getting Night Vision as well.

Yes, displaying night vision targets on the HUD would be the ultimate solution. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. First, notice the Field of View (FOV) of the HUD is very small. When you drive and look through your windshield, the HUD only takes up a small portion at the bottom and immediately in front of you, which is the portion of road that's only directly in front of the car, and several yards in front of the hood. If the night vision showed an animal in this area, it'd likely be too late to do little more than brake and hit the animal at a slower speed. (which would still have value) But because the rest of the world in front of you wouldn't highlight the same VR target as in the HUD, I'm sure BMW would want to avoid claims of "I ran right into that deer, that never got displayed in the HUD!"

That small Field of View (FOV) of the HUD is intentional. Again, notice it's right in front of you, and at the bottom, where most of the time it's being superimposed over the actual road in front of you. It's not in the position where it's going to be overlayed on top of obstacles on the side of the road, road posts, signposts, or overhead archway signs. BMW also wants to avoid claims of "I didn't see that barrier divider, because an object in my HUD obscured it", or "I couldn't read that traffic sign, because there was stuff in my HUD projected on top of it."

I fly an airplane with a HUD, and aviation has to deal with these topics as well. And pilots are highly trained. As much as I'd love, and could use, a full Field of View display in my vehicle, even wrap-around, highlighting obstacles, other vehicles, and targets like pedestrians and animals with VR, the mass driving public might not be able to handle those extra issues. Even if the components were cost effective.

Don't forget, the driving population includes some really, REALLY, stupid people out there, that would love to sue car manufacturers for their own stupid actions and lacking skills.
Imagine people turning into a HUD junky in cars like they do in jets....no thank you. Maybe something flashy to get you to pay attention...or HMCS...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Imagine people turning into a HUD junky in cars like they do in jets....no thank you. Maybe something flashy to get you to pay attention...or HMCS...
Yes, and don't get me started on automation dependency, whether in vehicles, or aircraft.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
RacerxG5
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 xdrive40i

I thought on the NV that although you can’t put the image in the HUD if the system detects a deer or person a light will flash in the HUD on the right or left side depending on what side it’s detected on?
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerxG5 View Post
I thought on the NV that although you can’t put the image in the HUD if the system detects a deer or person a light will flash in the HUD on the right or left side depending on what side it’s detected on?
You get a deer warning in the hud. It will show an image of an animal jumping from the left or right side and has saved me a bunch of times. I find this system most useful in 2 ways:

1). Easier to see the patrol cars idling in the median at night.
2). On back roads at night when a car is coming towards you. While your eyes cant see past the glare of oncoming headlights this system can as it is not blinded. I will momentarily glance to the screen to see whats "behind" the headlight glare. Gives you much better confidence.

In a 100k plus car the added 2500 bucks for this feature is well worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 3
torment26.00
vink92.00
mcsa65.00
      12-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
RacerxG5
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
You get a deer warning in the hud. It will show an image of an animal jumping from the left or right side and has saved me a bunch of times. I find this system most useful in 2 ways:

2). On back roads at night when a car is coming towards you. While your eyes cant see past the glare of oncoming headlights this system can as it is not blinded. I will momentarily glance to the screen to see whats "behind" the headlight glare. Gives you much better confidence.

In a 100k plus car the added 2500 bucks for this feature is well worth it in my opinion.
Very good points on both 1 & 2. I agree spending those types of dollars, might as well add it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerxG5 View Post
I thought on the NV that although you can't put the image in the HUD if the system detects a deer or person a light will flash in the HUD on the right or left side depending on what side it's detected on?

Didn't knew it works on HUD! In fact CA told me that it was more of a distraction, trying to look at the screen below when driving
Appreciate 1