BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

02-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #133
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Interesting conversation I had with a power lifter. we were talking about leg workouts and one thing negative about having huge legs or even having more than a somewhat built legs is how PITA it is for shopping for jeans. not only that he complains about how he gets some pretty bad rashes on his inner thighs from every day walking. he said that most of his pants are really jumpers or anything that doesn't cause resistance when they rub when he's walking
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      02-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #134
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I need a fourth exercise to round out my cable pull-downs for lats. I do behind the head, in front, and a stiff-armed while standing.
t-bar rows like mentioned are awesome! you could also do wide grip pull ups and close grip pull ups until exhaustion. stiff arm i'm assuming when you use a rope or short bar on a cable machine and you lean forward a bit and pull it with a slight bend in your elbows and you bring it to your thighs? I forgot what that's exactly called but I do that almost as a finisher for my back work out
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #135
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Interesting conversation I had with a power lifter. we were talking about leg workouts and one thing negative about having huge legs or even having more than a somewhat built legs is how PITA it is for shopping for jeans. not only that he complains about how he gets some pretty bad rashes on his inner thighs from every day walking. he said that most of his pants are really jumpers or anything that doesn't cause resistance when they rub when he's walking
Gave up leg workouts for bulk over 10 years ago due to this. It's bad enough all my suits need to be custom due to size, the legs rubbing together constantly thing is unbelievably irritating.

This was a major part of my dropping from 275 when I was in my early 30s, to 245 where I've been for around 9-10 years now. I'm certainly overdeveloped top compared to bottom now, but I ain't going for any trophies so who cares.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #136
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Gave up leg workouts for bulk over 10 years ago due to this. It's bad enough all my suits need to be custom due to size, the legs rubbing together constantly thing is unbelievably irritating.

This was a major part of my dropping from 275 when I was in my early 30s, to 245 where I've been for around 9-10 years now. I'm certainly overdeveloped top compared to bottom now, but I ain't going for any trophies so who cares.
I wonder if chicks who do leg workouts 5 days a week complain about the same thing this hot chick that I'm always checking out I always say to myself when she walks in "I bet she's gonna hit legs AGAIN!?...Yep!" And that's Mon-Fri lol
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      02-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #137
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Ran my first 10k today, 48mins flat @ 195lbs, felt pretty solid about it. I'll be blunt when I run over 5 miles i get some nip soreness from my shirt this shit hurts lmao.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #138
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Same here....when I first started lifting, I boxed so I trained only legs for over a year straight. I didn't want to do anything to reduce flexibility of my upper body and shoulders so I could keep covered up.

But my legs happened to be my best body part, so I was bottom heavy forever before my upper body caught up. Now I have to only hit them hard about every 8-10 days as if I train them more frequently, they start over shadowing my upper body.

Any other leg training I do through the week is flexibility work and just moving some blood around.

I still have issues with pants that fit. Waist is about 30"....but I have to wear a 34-36" waist in a relaxed style jean to fit my legs comfortably and have good mobility.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      02-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #139
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Same here....when I first started lifting, I boxed so I trained only legs for over a year straight. I didn't want to do anything to reduce flexibility of my upper body and shoulders so I could keep covered up.

But my legs happened to be my best body part, so I was bottom heavy forever before my upper body caught up. Now I have to only hit them hard about every 8-10 days as if I train them more frequently, they start over shadowing my upper body.

Any other leg training I do through the week is flexibility work and just moving some blood around.

I still have issues with pants that fit. Waist is about 30"....but I have to wear a 34-36" waist in a relaxed style jean to fit my legs comfortably and have good mobility.
Did you get the same issue with the rubbing on the inner thighs? I actually Googled this and I'm surprised how common this is
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #140
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Bent row, t bar row, dont do all your back moves in the same plane. I do low pull, mid and high every time I do back.
1MM, have you ever done a push/pull workout? I do one every few weeks. Very effective and mixes things up. It’s exactly like it sounds. Pushing movements combined with pulling movements. Example....Bench press/pull ups, DLs/sled push. Just a few there’s tons of combos.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #141
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have different split than most I think, dont do chest and tri, back and bi routine. Back own day. Chest own day and bi and tri together. Legs own day and work in traps, calves, forearms and abs whenever
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #142
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
1MM, have you ever done a push/pull workout? I do one every few weeks. Very effective and mixes things up. It’s exactly like it sounds. Pushing movements combined with pulling movements. Example....Bench press/pull ups, DLs/sled push. Just a few there’s tons of combos.
I tried that a couple of times but I felt like I was doing more of an overall body workout vs just focusing on one body part. I know it's good to mix up things and trick the body to grow but for some reason it didn't work with me

Quote:
I have different split than most I think, dont do chest and tri, back and bi routine. Back own day. Chest own day and bi and tri together. Legs own day and work in traps, calves, forearms and abs whenever
Exactly my workout
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #143
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
My Wendler variation has me doing this about every other second workout progression.

Usually in a de-load session. Bench with Bent Rows, OHP with Pull-ups, etc.

The pump is unreal because of the amount of blood in the area. I used to exclusively do a push/pull type of workout...but it would be push one day, and pull the next. Push, Pull, Legs...rinse, repeat.

Made some really good gains.
      03-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #144
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you get the same issue with the rubbing on the inner thighs? I actually Googled this and I'm surprised how common this is
I think it depends on the genetics/build of the leg muscles. I was blessed with better abductors (Outside thighs)which accentuates the sweep of the quads when viewing from the front. So my width was on the outside of the jeans, and that area of skin seems to be tougher for some reason.

We have one guy in our gym who has huge adducters (Inside thigh), and he has this issue. I told him to drop those exercises and focus more on the abductor muscle group, but he keeps doing the same routine.

I guess he will figure it out at some point, or deal with it as is!

Problem is that one of these areas will always be more dominant than the other, and while foot placement during leg exercises can help to some extent, any stimulation of the leg muscles is going to accentuate the strongest part of that muscle group.
      03-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #145
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm looking for a 4th in a cycle with the overhead bar. I do back/bi, so generally a cycle (either of 1 or four if I can) back, then bi, then come back to back. I do adjust the plane between cycles, just as I move around the grip within each cycle.

I'm looking for that fourth with the overhead cable, so I don't have to move around and/or wait for someone else.

I don't even consider myself very large in the legs, and I still have issues with pants that might fit my waist, but then I can't even get the pants to my waist. I think it's a plot to make us all wear skinny jeans
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #146
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm looking for a 4th in a cycle with the overhead bar. I do back/bi, so generally a cycle (either of 1 or four if I can) back, then bi, then come back to back. I do adjust the plane between cycles, just as I move around the grip within each cycle.

I'm looking for that fourth with the overhead cable, so I don't have to move around and/or wait for someone else.

I don't even consider myself very large in the legs, and I still have issues with pants that might fit my waist, but then I can't even get the pants to my waist. I think it's a plot to make us all wear skinny jeans

Didn't you mention you do straight arm pull-downs?

Here's a variation that you could add in. Do the same exercise, but facing the pulley system backwards. Position your body like you are "draped" over a barrel slightly....kind of in a convex position, and then do the pull-downs from behind your head.

This simulates a pull-over movement whether it be a dumbbell pull-over...or something like a machine pull-over.

Plus on the back side, you can get a very extreme stretch in your intercostals and serattus muscles.
      03-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #147
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
My Wendler variation has me doing this about every other second workout progression.

Usually in a de-load session. Bench with Bent Rows, OHP with Pull-ups, etc.

The pump is unreal because of the amount of blood in the area. I used to exclusively do a push/pull type of workout...but it would be push one day, and pull the next. Push, Pull, Legs...rinse, repeat.

Made some really good gains.
Agreed! My gym has turf with sleds and ropes. So I do a lot of pushing weighted sleds then pulling them with rope (strongman style). Love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #148
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Monday Chest Day!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #149
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Did that yesterday today was back
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #150
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did that yesterday today was back
That's what I'll do Tuesday. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #151
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This morning was my off day....tomorrow is back for me focusing on thickness work. Deads, Bent Rows, trap work, etc.

Next back workout is more width focused with weighted pull-ups, Lat pull-downs, etc.

My gym got one of those new "Mag" bars and it is awesome for pull-down work!
      03-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #152
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I have arms today I guess not awake yet
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #153
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Monday Chest Day!
Quote:
This schedule would be impossible at my gym. Everyone and their mother is in there doing chest on Monday and when Tuesday rolls around, you guessed it everyone is doing back. Even if my chest day falls on a Monday I switch to something else to avoid the bullshit lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #154
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Monday Chest Day!
Same.....chest and triceps. I'm still relatively new at all this and slowly becoming more acclimated with the equipment at the gym. Last night I made "friends" with the smith machine for the first time......ironically last night was also the first time I experienced complete muscle failure on some heavy (to me) weight. Feeling it today for sure! Not so much sore but the skin on my chest feels like I'm wearing a t-shirt that is too tight.

Tonight is legs.
Appreciate 0