Quote:
Originally Posted by ct335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarmstrong View Post
How did you get it to work? I have iDrive 6 and iOS 13 beta 2 but no widescreen CarPlay. I'm running NBTevo_L
You will first need to update your vehicle software from your local dealer to the latest available version. From there you can patch and enable full screen Carplay from a vendor.
Who is the best to get this patch done?
You need one of the below links. I used the second link as I had a P version.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254112988554?ul_noapp=true

Model higher than P version.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254126008338?ul_noapp=true
The patch only works if you have NBTevo_N or higher. To my knowledge the only way to get the NBT update is from the dealer and it's not cheap. Please correct me if my info is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #68
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm little confused with below comment. So please see my comments below and let me know if you agree.

I have been running iOS 13 for a few weeks now since beta 1 release. CarPlay WideScreen (fullscreen) on ID5 does not work in iOS 13 or 12, without coding. Coding is required. I did pay to get it coded and have it working. I have posted in different thread on this.

I do have BimmerCode App but I was't aware of it supported coding from ID5 to ID6. I will look it up but if you are aware of forums, please PM me.

Agreed, I had to pay for it... it not available for Free. BMW dealer don't do it and BimmerCode says not possible when I reached out to them.

Agreed cosmetic change is nice.. if its just coding .. I would love to code.

Question: What ID model do you have?
As already mentioned, the patch is required to get fullscreen CarPlay working, even with iOS 13 Beta. I don't know the technical details of how the patch works other than it can only be obtained via paid coders at the current time. However, I suspect the "patch" involves more programming know-how than merely changing a few parameters inside the iDrive headhunt using a coding tool like BimmerCode.

Coding ID6 from ID5 can be done using BimmerCode (in Expert mode) or using a laptop w/E-Sys. Search for the specific coding parameters that need to be changed in the F30/F80 Coding forums or you can PM me for it. My car came from the factory with ID5. I recently updated the firmware (also called I-Step) in my car which updated the firmware in my iDrive head unit to NBTevo_P, which means my iDrive head unit can run the widescreen Carplay patch. As what was previously mentioned, you need to have newer iDrive head unit firmware in order for the widescreen patch to work.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #69
jdarmstrong
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
I'm little confused with below comment. So please see my comments below and let me know if you agree.

I have been running iOS 13 for a few weeks now since beta 1 release. CarPlay WideScreen (fullscreen) on ID5 does not work in iOS 13 or 12, without coding. Coding is required. I did pay to get it coded and have it working. I have posted in different thread on this.

I do have BimmerCode App but I was't aware of it supported coding from ID5 to ID6. I will look it up but if you are aware of forums, please PM me.

Agreed, I had to pay for it... it not available for Free. BMW dealer don't do it and BimmerCode says not possible when I reached out to them.

As already mentioned, the patch is required to get fullscreen CarPlay working, even with iOS 13 Beta. I don't know the technical details of how the patch works other than it can only be obtained via paid coders at the current time.

Coding ID6 from ID5 can be done using BimmerCode (in Expert mode) or using a laptop w/E-Sys. Search for the specific coding parameters that need to be changed in the F30/F80 Coding forums or you can PM me for it. My car came from the factory with ID5. I recently updated the firmware (also called I-Step) in my car which updated the firmware in my iDrive head unit to NBTevo_P, which means my iDrive head unit can run the widescreen Carplay patch.
You did the iStep update yourself or at the dealer? I'm on NBTevo_L and trying to get to a version that supports full screen CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #70
ct335i
BMW 4 LIFE
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3xDrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

As already mentioned, the patch is required to get fullscreen CarPlay working, even with iOS 13 Beta. I don't know the technical details of how the patch works other than it can only be obtained via paid coders at the current time. However, I suspect the "patch" involves more programming know-how than merely changing a few parameters inside the iDrive headhunt using a coding tool like BimmerCode.

Coding ID6 from ID5 can be done using BimmerCode (in Expert mode) or using a laptop w/E-Sys. Search for the specific coding parameters that need to be changed in the F30/F80 Coding forums or you can PM me for it. My car came from the factory with ID5. I recently updated the firmware (also called I-Step) in my car which updated the firmware in my iDrive head unit to NBTevo_P, which means my iDrive head unit can run the widescreen Carplay patch. As what was previously mentioned, you need to have newer iDrive head unit firmware in order for the widescreen patch to work.
Ok.. that is what I said originally in the thread page#2, that coding required to get CarPlay in full screen (widescreen) on iD5 and possibly iD6 (can't confirm iD6 as I dont have it). Good we are on same page.

As for coding iD5 to iD6 lite , I found the instructions on what required but BimmerCode is not working on iOS13 beta .. will do it on weekend when I grab my parents iPhone 😀
      06-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #71
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Me likes
Attached Images

06-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #72
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Once this is released, I can finally enable full screen CarPlay! Looks amazing!
UGAdawg25.50
      06-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #73
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I am partial to Dark Mode myself.
Attached Images

06-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #74
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

iOS 13 Public Beta Available

I just installed the public beta of iOS 13. I'll post my comments with regard to CarPlay in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #75
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I just installed the public beta of iOS 13. I'll post my comments with regard to CarPlay in a few days.
I've never had the stones to dabble with apple betas. brave man, you are
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      06-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #76
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

After two days with iOS 13, here are my initial impressions:

- Many refinements (new split-view, Settings, Dark Mode, etc.)
- My iPhone has reconnected EVERY time since installing iOS 13 (about 20 reconnects so far)
- Incoming phone calls still take over the entire screen so if you're running Waze or Google Maps the phone call will hide the map. You must manually tap back into the mapping software you're using.

Some photo...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #77
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:

- My iPhone has reconnected EVERY time since installing iOS 13 (about 20 reconnects so far)
- Incoming phone calls still take over the entire screen so if you're running Waze or Google Maps the phone call will hide the map. You must manually tap back into the mapping software you're using.

Some photo...
So your connections improved when updating to iOS 13? iDrive 7 and iOS12.xx has been awful for connectivity for me on my G20.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #78
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
So your connections improved when updating to iOS 13? iDrive 7 and iOS12.xx has been awful for connectivity for me on my G20.
When I was still at iOS 12.3 my iPhone wouldn't always reconnect to iDrive when getting into our X7. When it wouldn't automatically reconnect I would go into iDrive > Devices and manually select the option to Connect my iPhone. Annoying when you're in a rush to get somewhere and want iDrive to handle phone calls and messages and you use Waze for navigation.

But after installing iOS 13 my iPhone has reconnected every time, not a single failure so far. I'll know for sure if iOS 13 has resolved the reconnection issue after a few weeks of testing but it's looking good. And the improvements to CarPlay are worth the upgrade to iOS 13 alone. There's been lots of debating on this forum about the CarPlay reconnection issues and many feel strongly iDrive is the cause but it may turn out that iOS 13 resolved those issues. Of course more testing is needed so I'll report any connection failures should they occur.

My BMW Genius told me a software update was coming in June to resolve the reconnection issues but I haven't heard back from him since and July is almost here. That said, iDrive needs some refinement and a software update would be welcomed if actually delivers a better experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #79
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

Some photo...
Awesome, thanks for sharing, man!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #80
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

Some photo...

You rock, LJ. Thanks so much.

Question: When on the Dashboard, do Maps graphics show:

a) Turn-by-turn instructions?
b) Lane guidance?
c) Traffic alerts?
d) 'Direction Of Travel' view?

What I'm trying to get at is whether Dashboard gives the user everything he's used to in that view -or- if it is highly compromised and you don't get those four key elements.

Can you perhaps take a screencap on a route so we can see what "while you're driving and navigation is working" looks like specifically on the Dashboard?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #81
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:

Some photo...

b) Lane guidance?
c) Traffic alerts?

What I'm trying to get at is whether Dashboard gives the user everything he's used to in that view -or- if it is highly compromised and you don't get those four key elements.

Can you perhaps take a screencap on a route so we can see what "while you're driving and navigation is working" looks like specifically on the Dashboard?

Thanks.
Route guidance is active in the smaller split view. Currently only Apple Maps is visible in this view.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      06-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #82
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some photo...

b) Lane guidance?
c) Traffic alerts?

Thanks.
Route guidance is active in the smaller split view. Currently only Apple Maps is visible in this view.
Anybody know if iOS 13 will allow Google or Waze to show up in the dashboard? I have been playing with the beta CarPlay in my F80 as well. I like the new look, including the dashboard - but I don't use Apple maps...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #83
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Why there is a NBA app in carplay? I don't have it in mine? Is it ios13 thing or idrive 7 thing??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #84
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Why there is a NBA app in carplay? I don't have it in mine? Is it ios13 thing or idrive 7 thing??
Neither, there are certain apps you download from the App Store that are CarPlay compatible such as the NBA app and the NHL app.

The person taking that photograph simply has the NBA app on his phone and enabled it to work on the CarPlay home screen using the CarPlay settings in iPhone settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #85
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Quote:
Neither, there are certain apps you download from the App Store that are CarPlay compatible such as the NBA app and the NHL app.

The person taking that photograph simply has the NBA app on his phone and enabled it to work on the CarPlay home screen using the CarPlay settings in iPhone settings.
I have nba app and i have carplay. It doesn't show on carplay. I cannot add it to carplay.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #86
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have nba app and i have carplay. It doesn't show on carplay. I cannot add it to carplay.
My guess would be IOS13.

Here it is on mine.
Attached Images

06-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #87
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anybody know if iOS 13 will allow Google or Waze to show up in the dashboard? I have been playing with the beta CarPlay in my F80 as well. I like the new look, including the dashboard - but I don't use Apple maps...
Currently only Apple Maps is displayed in the Dashboard view. Apple may have provided API's for other mapping apps to display in the Dashboard but it would be up to those app developers to code for it. Apple did mention there are new API's to allow other maps (Waze, Google Maps) the ability to display route guidance in a vehicles center instrument panel and the HUD but it would be up to BMW to implement those features.

And just to update you on the number of successful reconnects, I'm still batting a 1000. I'm growing more optimistic iOS 13 has resolved the reconnect issue X7 owners have been experiencing with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #88
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
And just to update you on the number of successful reconnects, I'm still batting a 1000. I'm growing more optimistic iOS 13 has resolved the reconnect issue X7 owners have been experiencing with CarPlay.
Not to bring you down, but... I've had a couple of reconnect issues (but not a high percentage), as well as Apple Pay turning up a couple of times on the charging dock. I'm running iOS13b2 at the moment.
Appreciate 0