BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
em3doc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 650i LCI

Front strut replacement...shortcut, maybe???

I have a customer that needs to replace both front struts very badly, but he's short on cash. He's also a friend so I told him that I'll see if I can ind a way to get it done within his budget. I've never worked on a 1 series before so I wanted to ask around to for an opinion on the plan that I've come up with. He has a brand new set of struts so I'm only charging him for labor. The book time is 3.8 hours or something like that. I was wondering if I can cut down on the labor and possibly save him from having to get his alignment done as well. My idea is to unbolt the subframe and disconnect the steering column while using an engine support bar to hold the the motor and subframe and lower them enough to be able to slip the strut out of the knuckle or clear the wheel well. This way I can avoid messing with the control arms and tie rods all together. I've done it like this on my 6 series, but just wanted to check if anybody familiar with the 1 series knows if this would be possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I don't. I will say that new struts might "lift" the front about a half inch, if the current ones are dead. That'll change the alignment a little - camber, and toe accordingly.

Then again the alignment may have sucked to start with, or be fine and was done back when the dead struts were still good.

Other folks have gotten deeper into the car and may know about your proposal. I've only ever done it the "normal" way.
Appreciate 0