BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum First time Bimmer owner, one week in laundry list

04-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
MinnyX7
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xDrive40i

First time Bimmer owner, one week in laundry list

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi everyone, thanks for admission to the thread. For the most part, I absolutely love my new X7! I have a few questions/comments after my experience. If anyone has help, I'd appreciate it...

1. I am having pausing issues when playing audio over bluetooth through idrive. Audio will cut out for 3 seconds and screen will show no device connected, then it will reconnect and start playing again. I've seen this for the G05. I have ios 12.2 and updated software.

2. Is there any way to unlock all the doors by pressing the unlock key once / using my hand on the driver's handle? It was an option on my old car (Jeep) and I got used to only pressing the unlock once for all the doors.

3. Is there a way to disable the wireless charging pad? I am struggling to find a good place to store my phone (besides my pocket), but the wireless charging pad for my iphone x makes it really hot really quickly.

4. Any info out there on the back end or real time update capabilities of idrive's navigation? idrive tried to direct me down a closed road, but when I immediately checked in google maps (which I would have used in carplay) it showed it as closed.

5. Anyone know if Spotify will get its own connected app for the X7 any time soon? I thought I read it was available for the 7 series sedan, why not the X7 too?

For 1,4,and 5, I'm just really trying to avoid using carplay as I don't like the interface, loss of favorite keys, and other limitations.

Thanks for any responses!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Welcome, Minny! I don't have my X7 yet, so I'll let others answer. I'm just curious about your #3 there. Other X5 and X7 owners have reported their phones getting hot in the wireless charging pad. Are you finding though, that it's getting so hot that it makes the phone unusable, shuts the phone down, or something? Clearly it's to an extent that there's a reason you're looking to disable the charging function.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnyX7 View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for admission to the thread. For the most part, I absolutely love my new X7! I have a few questions/comments after my experience. If anyone has help, I'd appreciate it...
Welcome aboard. Happy to help where I can.

Quote:
1. I am having pausing issues when playing audio over bluetooth through idrive. Audio will cut out for 3 seconds and screen will show no device connected, then it will reconnect and start playing again. I've seen this for the G05. I have ios 12.2 and updated software.
It's a known problem between BMW iDrive 7 and iOS 12.2 and BMW is awaiting the release of 12.3 in the next few weeks that they believe will solve the problem. CarPlay is a mess until this is fixed.

Quote:
2. Is there any way to unlock all the doors by pressing the unlock key once / using my hand on the driver's handle? It was an option on my old car (Jeep) and I got used to only pressing the unlock once for all the doors.
Yes, and even better you can have the same functionality just by walking up to the car, you don't even have to put your hand on the handle.

Go into Settings on the iDrive screen and you'll see one for opening and closing and you can choose "unlock all doors" and "automatically unlock as you approach the vehicle".

Quote:
3. Is there a way to disable the wireless charging pad? I am struggling to find a good place to store my phone (besides my pocket), but the wireless charging pad for my iphone x makes it really hot really quickly.
The area adjacent to the charging pad is a good place to rest your phone as are the cupholders. While my iPhone X gets warm it isn't anything too uncomfortable. And if you're using CarPlay or streaming from an app you'll want to charge as you drive or you're going to get terrible battery drain.

Quote:
4. Any info out there on the back end or real time update capabilities of idrive's navigation? idrive tried to direct me down a closed road, but when I immediately checked in google maps (which I would have used in carplay) it showed it as closed.
BMW's navigation and maps are good but they cannot compare to a strong third party like Google/Waze/Apple etc. It's why I'm a CarPlay fan. I don't use BMW's navigation at all.

Quote:
For 1,4,and 5, I'm just really trying to avoid using carplay as I don't like the interface, loss of favorite keys, and other limitations.
I use CarPlay for maps (Google) but everything else is from the BMW interface. Let me clarify- when I am navigating somewhere I use CarPlay/Google Maps. When I'm just driving around town I stay on the Home screen which I've configured to be 50% BMW maps, 25% radio station, 25% weather.

Be advised that when you have CarPlay up for maps the favorite keys work, XM Radio and/or FM Radio works, and the all-important Gauge Cluster UI for Media is very useful, it's like having two displays in the car simultaneously. The combination of Google Maps on the big screen and the Media UI on the Gauge Cluster is a big win IMO. Giant map that's easy to read and the station/artist/song name where you want it too.

Use CarPlay for the maps, use BMW for everything else. Best of both worlds. No compromises.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
MinnyX7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

It's a known problem between BMW iDrive 7 and iOS 12.2 and BMW is awaiting the release of 12.3 in the next few weeks that they believe will solve the problem. CarPlay is a mess until this is fixed.

Yes, and even better you can have the same functionality just by walking up to the car, you don't even have to put your hand on the handle.

Go into Settings on the iDrive screen and you'll see one for opening and closing and you can choose "unlock all doors" and "automatically unlock as you approach the vehicle".

The area adjacent to the charging pad is a good place to rest your phone as are the cupholders. While my iPhone X gets warm it isn't anything too uncomfortable. And if you're using CarPlay or streaming from an app you'll want to charge as you drive or you're going to get terrible battery drain.

BMW's navigation and maps are good but they cannot compare to a strong third party like Google/Waze/Apple etc. It's why I'm a CarPlay fan. I don't use BMW's navigation at all.

I use CarPlay for maps (Google) but everything else is from the BMW interface. Let me clarify- when I am navigating somewhere I use CarPlay/Google Maps. When I'm just driving around town I stay on the Home screen which I've configured to be 50% BMW maps, 25% radio station, 25% weather.

Be advised that when you have CarPlay up for maps the favorite keys work, XM Radio and/or FM Radio works, and the all-important Gauge Cluster UI for Media is very useful, it's like having two displays in the car simultaneously. The combination of Google Maps on the big screen and the Media UI on the Gauge Cluster is a big win IMO. Giant map that's easy to read and the station/artist/song name where you want it too.

Use CarPlay for the maps, use BMW for everything else. Best of both worlds. No compromises.
Thanks for your replies. The last time I was using carplay I was unable to get the menu to show in the cluster gauge when pressing the menu button. The menu came back after I had turned the car off then back on, but I hadn't engaged carplay first then tried again. Trial and error I guess...

Regarding turning off the charging pad, I haven't had it get so hot that it's unusable, but I was hoping to store one or two other things in there (parking pass, etc.) as well as my phone and am concerned that the Qi pad will somehow damage anything that uses a magnetic stripe or RFID. Lack of electical engineering knowledge. So unless it can be disabled I'll be using the compartment to the left of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:

More questions from someone who doesn't have theirs yet...

When you are using Carplay for music (I use Tidal) is the music info on the gauge cluster?Just curious.

Can you set favorite buttons to go to a song/playlist inside of Tidal if your phone is connected to Carplay?

I also saw that you can use Google Maps/Apple Maps/Waze and send those directions to idrive and still be able to use the HUD? Just curious how well this works?

thanks so much!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
MinnyX7
Rep

Quote:
Can you set favorite buttons to go to a song/playlist inside of Tidal if your phone is connected to Carplay?
Unfortunately the favorite buttons only work with idrive, not carplay

Quote:
I also saw that you can use Google Maps/Apple Maps/Waze and send those directions to idrive and still be able to use the HUD? Just curious how well this works?
If you send them through the BMW Connected app and then use idrive's navigation, the HUD will work. HUD doesn't work for anything through Carplay
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your replies. The last time I was using carplay I was unable to get the menu to show in the cluster gauge when pressing the menu button. The menu came back after I had turned the car off then back on, but I hadn't engaged carplay first then tried again. Trial and error I guess...

Regarding turning off the charging pad, I haven't had it get so hot that it's unusable, but I was hoping to store one or two other things in there (parking pass, etc.) as well as my phone and am concerned that the Qi pad will somehow damage anything that uses a magnetic stripe or RFID. Lack of electical engineering knowledge. So unless it can be disabled I'll be using the compartment to the left of the wheel.
To get to the BMW from car play you can hit the BMW icon from the CarPlay main screen or you can simply hit the home button in the center console next to the rotary selector. I use wireless charging all the time and it gets warm but not Hot, at least not to the point where it concerns me. I to use Waze and google in CarPlay for maps so can't help you with BMW navigation.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^ Here's what the setup looks like in CarPlay with Google Maps on the primary display and Media on the Gauge Cluster display

^ The scroll wheel on the steering wheel brings up the songs on the playlist you're listening to.

^ And the Menu button on the steering wheel brings up the source list in the Gauge Cluster display. So what's cool is that you don't lose visibility to your Music options while a CarPlay map is up.

^ XM Radio is just as well done, again you get the song/artist/art in the Gauge Cluster display.

^ XM station toggle shows you the song that's playing on each station, so if you're playing Dad DJ you can make sure a good song comes on each time.

^ Lastly, if you want to stay in the BMW experience and eschew CarPlay, you can configure the primary display to be a combination of elements- in my case, BMW Maps, Media, and Weather. You can make the map full screen too if you like. Note the Apple CarPlay icon at the top edge of the primary display- this is how you get to CarPlay when its asleep and you're in the BMW UI.

The good news is that whichever way you go, either CarPlay or BMW UI, you get all the information you need right in front of you. The full Media functionality in the Gauge Cluster is just brilliant.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
dmann3324.00
      05-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:

Thanks for any responses!
Just put the phone screen side down? That way it won't wireless charge. But I have no concerns with the phone being a little warm.
      05-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

@toddwalton

Thanks so much for this!! This is awesome. So glad to see a great experience.

Only thing that would make it that much better is google maps in gauge cluster and in hud. Love the hud
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1292.50
      05-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
@toddwalton

Thanks so much for this!! This is awesome. So glad to see a great experience.
Thanks for the kind words, just paying it forward for those who helped me in my purchase decision a few months ago. Great forum vibe here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Only thing that would make it that much better is google maps in gauge cluster and in hud. Love the hud
Yeah, agreed, but that's BMW trying to sway owners to use their UI so they withhold Apple features from iDrive as a result.

What I really miss is the loss of CarPlay split-screen with iDrive. In my other BMW's running the older version of iDrive, CarPlay took up 2/3 of the primary display leaving 1/3 open for song/artist information. iDrive 7 doesn't allow this. But thankfully, we have the Gauge Cluster for that now so it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
MinnyX7
Rep

Quote:
What I really miss is the loss of CarPlay split-screen with iDrive. In my other BMW's running the older version of iDrive, CarPlay took up 2/3 of the primary display leaving 1/3 open for song/artist information. iDrive 7 doesn't allow this. But thankfully, we have the Gauge Cluster for that now so it's all good.
@toddwalton, your pictures were awesome, thanks! I had seen some older pictures from previous versions of carplay/idrive so I was disappointed with the lack of split screen. It would be nice to have audio controls next to the map, or keep the map up when you're on the phone. It looks almost comical on the 12" screen when you're on the phone and everything is stretched so wide.

By the way I did regain gauge cluser functionality with carplay on the main screen the next time I turned on the car. Not sure why it went away but it's got to be similar to your greying out issue with xm channels.
Appreciate 0