E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newb here - thinking of 330d or 335d

09-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #45
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Kinda reminded me of Mr Muscle that you see on the TV ads:

Attached Images

09-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #46
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Kinda reminded me of Mr Muscle that you see on the TV ads:

Nice one Gordon!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #47
_KG_
Private
Rep
Drives: C220cdi Sport Estate

"Great" I thought when I logged in to find over 40 responses to my initial question.

Imagine then my utmost disapointment when I discover most of the messages are due to a picture of a forum member, possibly naked, save for a big shiny helmet.

Quite why anyone would have a picture of themselves like that, let alone post it on a forum, well........

Anyhoo, I have a test drive booked tomorrow in a 330d SE Auto.

Will let you all know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #48
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
What was the question again KG?

Let us know what you think of it. I'm sure you'll love it.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #49
_KG_
Private
Rep

Right then, before I go out for this test drive this afternoon:

This is the car that I will be driving:

http://www.oxfordbmw.co.uk/usedbmw/v...VC92030VC99324

Now, I am not about to just buy the first car I look at, but a couple of things I want to ask for thoughts/advice on.

Firstly, why would a dealer have a car sat on their forecourt that was registered in March 07, that only has 129 miles on it.

Second, the spec of this car seems a bit 'odd' compared to most others I've seen. Basically it's Auto, Leather, DAB, Ellipsoid wheels, Front ISOFIX and a load through back seat. I don't really think the ISOFIX and rear seats are worth anything so its just the first four items i'm looking at.

Would peoples opinions be:

a) dig a bit deeper into the cars history - it could be fine.
b) hmmm, odd spec but nothing to worry about
c) hmmm, odd spec, walk away
d) none of the above.

Just out of interest, how much would you be prepared to pay for this car?

Any thoughts welcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #50
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KG_ View Post
Right then, before I go out for this test drive this afternoon:

This is the car that I will be driving:

http://www.oxfordbmw.co.uk/usedbmw/v...VC92030VC99324

Now, I am not about to just buy the first car I look at, but a couple of things I want to ask for thoughts/advice on.

Firstly, why would a dealer have a car sat on their forecourt that was registered in March 07, that only has 129 miles on it.

Second, the spec of this car seems a bit 'odd' compared to most others I've seen. Basically it's Auto, Leather, DAB, Ellipsoid wheels, Front ISOFIX and a load through back seat. I don't really think the ISOFIX and rear seats are worth anything so its just the first four items i'm looking at.

d) none of the above.

Any thoughts welcome!

It IS a bit odd, add the mileage etc doesn't quite add up. Still, a BMW dealer isn't allowed to false-advertise a car, so it must be genuine. Thing is, it's a bit expensive IMO - even though it's a March 07 car. It's only an SE for a start, and doesn't have much kit on it.

I'll give you an example - BMW Park Lane in London have a Le Mans Blue with Grey leather 330d MSport, auto, heated seats, xenon lights, September 06 car (on a 56 plate), 5873 miles, £25,995 before negotiation.

What I'm trying to say is, I think you can do better for less or the same money. IMO there isn't much difference going between a September 06 or a March 07 car anyway - the car's residual value is going to be great either way. You'll just end up getting more spec and value in a Sept 06 car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #51
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:

d) none of the above.

A: The fact that its on a dealers forecourt would satisfy me as to it's history, although it has a strange spec for what was probably a demonstrator car, hence it's low mileage.
B: Agreed on the spec, see A.
C: Yep, test drive it by all means, but does not have the required goodies in my opinion.
D: See all of the above.

No idea on the car's worth, I suspect it's no doubt overpriced & I would look elsewhere for a car with a better spec.How much more would it cost you for a brand new one with all your desired toys?

Bear in mind that dealers are now quoting delivery in Jan 08 for new orders, so I was informed by a dealer in Maidstone on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #52
_KG_
Private
Rep

Ah yes, meant to say that I put the same spec into drive the deal and it came out at £28, 856.

I'll see what the dealer has to say, but I will certainly not be dealing today.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #53
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
A: The fact that its on a dealers forecourt would satisfy me as to it's history, although it has a strange spec for what was probably a demonstrator car, hence it's low mileage.
B: Agreed on the spec, see A.
C: Yep, test drive it by all means, but does not have the required goodies in my opinion.
D: See all of the above.

No idea on the car's worth, I suspect it's no doubt overpriced & I would look elsewhere for a car with a better spec.How much more would it cost you for a brand new one with all your desired toys?

Bear in mind that dealers are now quoting delivery in Jan 08 for new orders, so I was informed by a dealer in Maidstone on Thursday.
Demonstrators are usually high-specced & I wouldn't expect a demonstrator to have front isofix & load-through, unless the dealer likes taking the garage's 'kids' out a lot!

I expect it's a car that was ordered for someone with family, but it ended not being bought, after delivery to the dealership, for whatever reason.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #54
_KG_
Private
Rep

Cheers guys, I kind of thought you'd say I can get more for my money.

I'll post up my thoughts on the drive later on - I'm really interested to see how the auto 'box compares to DSG.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #55
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Demonstrators are usually high-specced & I wouldn't expect a demonstrator to have front isofix & load-through, unless the dealer likes taking the garage's 'kids' out a lot!

I expect it's a car that was ordered for someone with family, but it ended not being bought, after delivery to the dealership, for whatever reason.
Yes I had'nt thought it could be a cancelled order,in hindsight very likely.
Nicely pointed out Viv.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #56
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Yeah I think you have a good opportunity to negotiate here, Press them on the reasons for it's condition etc...

I bet they want to shift it and therefore will deal.

SJ
      09-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #57
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoke to the used car guy at the dealer (James he's called). This Montego Blue 330d was originally ordered by a company called Bristol & London PLC, who are an insurance company. They order loads of cars on a continual basis, and these cars are used as courtesy cars for when their clients need a 'hire' car. Thing is, not all the cars are used, and this 330d, along with a couple of other 1 series, were delivered to B&L then driven from there directly to the Oxford BMW dealer so they could be sold on.

That explains why it's only got 162 miles on it, and the spec is wierd (obviously as low as possible but catering for families)

Still too much money though!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #58
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Good info E92....

So come on I must have missed it, what's your connection to the motor trade then...

Lots of little pointers me thinks

SJ
      09-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #59
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Good info E92....

So come on I must have missed it, what's your connection to the motor trade then...

Lots of little pointers me thinks

SJ
that'd be telling!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #60
_KG_
Private
Rep

Right then....

Had a good drive of the car yesterday. Wife and I came to the following conclusions:

- Cracking engine, and the gearbox suits it perfectly. The speed in the car builds with alarming ease.
- Standard SE seats lack the support that we are used to in the Golf.
- Thought I wouldn't be too fussed about the lack of extras, but have decided that i-drive would definitely be a bonus, and make the interior (dare I say it), a more interesting/enjoyable place to be.
- (Wifes conclusion) Boot is not big enough for all the paraphanalia associated with 'small people'. A buggy would fit, but the boot/lid shape doesn't seem to be the most practical.

So, with those conclusions drawn, we went for a drive in.....

....a 325d manual M-Sport Touring.

Now, I must admit that I'd considered the 325d to be a bit of a redundant car in the lineup - not much more power than the 4-cyl 2 litre but not enough less money than the 330d. However, we were both really quite impressed in the way the car went with the manual gearbox (the wife actually giving it more beans than me.....). The shift is slick, but there is still plenty of pull from 5th/6th from relatively low speeds if you are feeling lazy.

The M-Sport suspension setup was a suprise too. I'd been expecting a really fidgety ride, but this was not the case. Perhaps if I'd been coming from something other than a stiffly sprung GTi, my opinion would be different, but the setup offered plenty of compliance in the setup, yet still remained well planted on the twisties.

Seats were much more supportive too.

So, now my AUC searches have changed from saloon to touring, and the engine options now include the 325d. The preferred option would still be an Auto 330d, but we'll see what comes up in the next month or so.

The hunt continues....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #61
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Good to hear your test drive went well. Good luck in finding exactly what you are after and keep us updated on how you get on
      09-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #62
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I found that the Oxford dealer weren't prepared to do as good a deal or give me as much for mine as my usual dealer (Stratstone tring). I test drove a le mans 335d with lemon leather and all the toys there about 5/6 months ago before ordering mine.

Don't forget to keep discounted new as opposed to AUC in mind!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #63
_KG_
Private
Rep

6 months later....time for an update.

After the Oxford delaer came back with a laughable offer for our Golf, the idea of changing the car was dropped until January, when we found ourselves taking ownership of a 6-month old Z4 Coupe.

It was always planned that it was only going to be a short-term thing, and that talk of children would necessitate a more sensible car.

However, I wasn't expecting it to last all of 8 weeks, and not due to an announcement from my wife - well, it was, but it was more a case of 'I can't cope with this car any more, it's killing my back, and I feel sick every time I'm in it'. Therefore, the Zed had to go.

So now I find myself with a 57-plate E90 330d M-Sport (pre-ED, unfortunately...).

In hindsight, it should have been the car we bought in the first place, but hindsight as they say.........

Still, more than happy with the performance and comfort of the 3 so far - took it on a nice run to Lille on Thursday, and it was faultless - quiet, comfy, economical, and the way it made most other cars disappear in the rear-view when I booted it out of the M1 roadworks coming home made me smile.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #64
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Congratulations.

I have to say that I'm rather partial to the 330d MSport myself.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #65
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Congratulations.

I have to say that I'm rather partial to the 330d MSport myself.
Me too at the moment! 3 tanks fulls mow and 40,39,38MPG so an average of 30 - not too bad for an auto and I think it will improve more.
Appreciate 0