BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Random bass loss

09-13-2021, 09:58 PM   #111
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Wow... Sorry to hear that Danchee! Your language choice has been my pov through the whole ordeal. As i have stated (repeatedly) i can't believe how little they want to do to fix it/get it right. They seem unmoved by the frustration we have. Instead they want to do as little as possible and hope we don't come back.

I presume many folks out there have schedules that are not conducive to dealership visits 4-6 times to get the radio to work.

If i recall you never got the amp replaced right? Yours was fixed (allegedly) by the software fix?

give us an update once they fix it again!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #112
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanhuntr View Post
Wow... Sorry to hear that Danchee! Your language choice has been my pov through the whole ordeal. As i have stated (repeatedly) i can't believe how little they want to do to fix it/get it right. They seem unmoved by the frustration we have. Instead they want to do as little as possible and hope we don't come back.

I presume many folks out there have schedules that are not conducive to dealership visits 4-6 times to get the radio to work.

If i recall you never got the amp replaced right? Yours was fixed (allegedly) by the software fix?

give us an update once they fix it again!
They did replace the amp on my second visit. Well, they allegedly replaced it. I'm inclined to believe the dealership on this one as unless they really are in collusion with BMW since they had to order one in. Took about a week but who knows if it is the updated amp. I did notice a difference in sound characteristics when I got the car back and the entertainment system boot sequence is slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #113
jeffslugs
Rep
Drives: 40i X7

I know this isn't a solution, especially for a 90,000k car

If you put an aftermarket system in the car, does that wreck the warranty on the X7? In order to get better sound/stereo than the base model if the B&W isn't available? Would that also eliminate the 'bass loss issue?'
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #114
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslugs View Post
If you put an aftermarket system in the car, does that wreck the warranty on the X7? In order to get better sound/stereo than the base model if the B&W isn't available? Would that also eliminate the 'bass loss issue?'
So long as you don’t cut any wires. Also, if you add an amp that could cause a warranty issue. However, I was told if I did upgrade the amp, my dealership would look past it but did say if I went to another BMW dealership, they may not. I tested the base system and played with the very limited EQ settings and found it was pretty decent when using Spotify or Apple Music. SiriusXM is atrocious however played through the base system. I literally decided to lease the 40i because it didn’t come with the HK. Besides, the X7 will be all new when it’s time to turn mine in and will have a lot more of the options I didn’t get like a “real stereo”
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #115
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
my 2021 X6 was in service for the 4th time for this. this time they replaced "the booster". before that it was RAM. before that it was something else. the car was a custom order built in September 2020 with the HK sound system. we'll see how it goes.

i don't know if my issue is the same as everyone else's. i don't just lose the bass. i lose everything except the front, center speaker. everything sounds like i'm on a phone call. this seems like a software issue to me. but i may be wrong. i don't get crackling or any other unwanted noise. my mids and subwoofer speakers just quit. sometimes they come back in a few seconds, sometimes they don't come back until i turn off the car, lock it and come back at least 20 minutes later.

Last edited by solomonshv; 09-21-2021 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #116
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post
my 2021 X6 was in service for the 4th time for this. this time they replaced "the booster". before that it was RAM. before that it was something else. the car was a custom order built in September 2020 with the HK sound system. we'll see how it goes.

i don't know if my issue is the same as everyone else's. i don't just lose the bass. i lose everything except the front, center speaker. everything sounds like i'm on a phone call. this seems like a software issue to me. but i may be wrong. i don't get crackling or any other unwanted noise. my mids and subwoofer speakers just quit. sometimes they come back in a few seconds, sometimes they don't come back until i turn off the car, lock it and come back at least 20 minutes later.
These sound like possible heat issues too. Like the amp or other component(s) are becoming too hot and the heat protection kicks in by shutting things down to 'cool' things off.
      09-22-2021, 05:24 AM   #117
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post

These sound like possible heat issues too. Like the amp or other component(s) are becoming too hot and the heat protection kicks in by shutting things down to 'cool' things off.
Interesting hypothesis…. So to further pull that string, do those who are experiencing this issue with some consistency/regularity live in "hotter" areas of the country like the southeast or Midwest?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #118
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

No. it happens when you turn the car on. Winter, Summer, doesn't matter. My worst instance of it was when i was in Chicago driving back to detroit. 20 degrees outside. turned my car on and it was the am radio sound. for six hours. I had to just drive in silence.

I thought it was cold, heat, rain, etc. I had all sorts of hypotheses. But in reality it was all about it not booting up right which occurred randomly. I do still think there was a thing that caused it. Where it was when i turned it off in a sequence? But, i have no idea what that "thing" might be.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1837.00
      09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #119
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Interesting hypothesis…. So to further pull that string, do those who are experiencing this issue with some consistency/regularity live in "hotter" areas of the country like the southeast or Midwest?
I don't believe it was temperature related. At least for me. Where I am, it's 60-70's in the summer and the issue would occur first thing in the morning when the temp was in the 50's and car/amp was cold.

I did find it happened more on wet/rainy days then on dry sunny days.

But so far after the RAM module was replaced, it hasn't happened once (knock on wood).
Appreciate 1
jmciver1837.00
      10-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #120
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Took the car back in and they had no idea what to do next. Wanted the car for a few days but had no loaner. Told me to make an appointment with loaner and drop the car off again.

What I found to induce it - Drive the car. Stop. Passenger in car so radio still running, you run into store to get stuff. While you're gone, passenger opens door to tell the stupid car to actually go to sleep. Radio is powered off. Everything is still lit up since the stupid thing will wait for a while before powering things down (15 minutes I think). You come back, just before it shuts down and get in the car. Because you opened door, everything starts to boot back up only to remember you forgot milk. Go back into store. Come back out, start car. No bass. Reproduced twice but of course it doesn't happen at the dealership.

Seriously how hard is it to power on all the amps based on power lead signal from head unit like every freaking sound system in the world?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #121
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Took the car back in and they had no idea what to do next. Wanted the car for a few days but had no loaner. Told me to make an appointment with loaner and drop the car off again.

What I found to induce it - Drive the car. Stop. Passenger in car so radio still running, you run into store to get stuff. While you're gone, passenger opens door to tell the stupid car to actually go to sleep. Radio is powered off. Everything is still lit up since the stupid thing will wait for a while before powering things down (15 minutes I think). You come back, just before it shuts down and get in the car. Because you opened door, everything starts to boot back up only to remember you forgot milk. Go back into store. Come back out, start car. No bass. Reproduced twice but of course it doesn't happen at the dealership.

Seriously how hard is it to power on all the amps based on power lead signal from head unit like every freaking sound system in the world?
My 21 M5C is back at the dealership for the same issue. Third or fourth time I think (I honestly can't keep track with all the issues my car has had). This time I complained about it again while it was in for the annual state inspection/emissions. It happens so randomly that the dealer will never be able to duplicate it. On average it happens once every 3-4 weeks, if I even notice it (I listen to sports radio alot, so I may have missed the lack of bass a few times). A complete car shutdown fixes it everytime.

Last dealer trip for this issue they changed the the following part, which did nothing to help. (Rp Receiver Audio Module 613020 - BMW (65-12-5-A47-587))

I gave my dealer the service bulletin listed in this post. But they said my car doesn't qualify, even though it matches the production timeframe, has the H&K and Live Cockpit Pro. When I asked why, I wasn't provided an answer. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38&postcount=3

My wifes 2019 X5 has the H&K and the volume output is noticeably louder than my car. Mentioned that to my dealer, and their response was "Her X5 has a booster in it, thats why its louder.". Funny since I pulled the audio parts drawing for a 2019 X5 with H&K and no booster is listed. There is a booster on the B&O system, which we don't have.

Anyways, I have a corporate contact that I dealt with earlier this year when I was going through the multiple issues with my car. I reached out to them again after my dealer asked me to, so that they could get the issue escalated within the BMWNA system. Not sure why I have to reach out to BMWNA to get the issue escalated, but here we are. Now my car is on lockdown at the dealer (day 3). SA told me late yesterday I can't get it back yet since Corporate is involved and there are "Multiple" people reviewing the issue.

My advice to them.... just swap out the amplifier that's listed in the bulletin and lets move on. The amount of time/money wasted so far is laughable.

Depending on the outcome of this visit, I am going to try the procedure you listed above to try and get the bass to fail.... Then I am driving it straight to the dealer...
      10-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #122
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

Tried to replicate this, this morning. No luck.

Let me know if you are able to duplicate it, or find another way to induce the bass loss.

RC
      11-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #123
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarps2 View Post
Tried to replicate this, this morning. No luck.

Let me know if you are able to duplicate it, or find another way to induce the bass loss.

RC
Dropping car off this week for one final time to deal with this. If the issue isn't resolved, well, seeing where BMW is going it's not a loss to not buy another car from them.

As for the repro, make sure to move your key far away so it is out of range of the car during that wait period.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #124
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

2 weeks later they replaced the AMP again with a newer version. Supply chain is bad, the entire 2 weeks was due to waiting for the AMP to arrive. Specifically they said this is a -02 model of the AMP. Last time I'm trying to fix this issue. We'll just deal with it until time to turn in the lease if it persists. Wasted way too much of my time with this thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:06 AM   #125
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
2 weeks later they replaced the AMP again with a newer version. Supply chain is bad, the entire 2 weeks was due to waiting for the AMP to arrive. Specifically they said this is a -02 model of the AMP. Last time I'm trying to fix this issue. We'll just deal with it until time to turn in the lease if it persists. Wasted way too much of my time with this thing.
You could always try using your states lemon law rights if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:19 AM   #126
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Cross posting from the G05 forum Hello G07 owners!

If you are still experiencing this issue, know that you can download the fault codes yourself (for some vehicles)

Go to: https://mygarage.bmwusa.com/car-data.html

I am experiencing this issue and will be taking my G05 in. When I downloaded the data above, I saw that there were several fault codes for the "Receiver Audio Module" ECU Variant RAM01

https://mygarage.bmwusa.com/car-data.html
Who has access to this data?
With BMW CarData, customers always have an overview of the telematics data that their vehicle sends to BMW as part of BMW ConnectedDrive services and that is stored there. Customers can request a BMW CarData report at any time so they know what telematics data BMW has currently stored for their vehicle. Third parties can access selected telematics data in order to offer you personalized services - provided that you explicitly direct BMW to release this data to this third party. You alone decide to whom you entrust your data. The telematics data will not be forwarded to any third parties other than those to which you have directed BMW to send data.

ref: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...0&d=1608933253

3.3.2. Receiver Audio Module (RAM)
The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is a control unit and part of the infotainment system. The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) is an audio amplifier with integrated tuners and an integrated sound processor.
The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) also contains Active Sound Design (ASD), and therefore an additional control unit is not required.

The Receiver Audio Module (RAM) comes in a variety of versions and power levels.

Versions and power levels:
• RAM BASIC
• RAM MID
• RAM HIGH

Depending on the number and power of the speakers, a booster, to which the audio data are streamed
via an Ethernet connection, is additionally installed.

3.3.3. Booster

An additional booster is installed, depending on the audio variant. Normally there is no booster for stereo and hi-fi. However, if an outside speaker is required for the outside sound on a vehicle,
depending on the engine version, a booster is installed. For "Harman Kardon Surround Sound system" and "Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound system" (SA 6F1) the corresponding booster is
installed.
Appreciate 2
keg97168.00
      12-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #127
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
You could always try using your states lemon law rights if it happens again.
I could but then, it's a long ass wait for a new car these days so that's another conundrum to deal with
Appreciate 0