BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum One minor vibration when turning

07-21-2022, 10:44 PM   #1
Braydenx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M & 2019 X7 50i

One minor vibration when turning

I got a used 2019 x50i with dynamic handling pkg, I noticed that while I'm turning the steering wheel in low speed, some times I got one minor vibration from chassis during the turn, is this normal/happen to you or something is wrong?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 01:55 AM   #2
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

I get it in my XB7 when turning tightly while going slow. Usually feel it mostly in the rear outside corner. The service department explained that with larger wheels/tires, the rotation of the wheels is slightly off so you essentially get a kind “skid” as the push sideways a bit. It’s easily replicated so I assume it’s normal as they said.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braydenx View Post
I got a used 2019 x50i with dynamic handling pkg, I noticed that while I'm turning the steering wheel in low speed, some times I got one minor vibration from chassis during the turn, is this normal/happen to you or something is wrong?
Thanks!
if its near full lock, normal. inside tire is moving at a slightly different path as the outside tire. the vibration you are feeling is one of the tires slipping, releasing the stress. normal.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Very normal with turning wheel to the limit. A lot of tire gripping and turning at the same time. You may notice it more when its hot out as the tires will grip more.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Braydenx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M & 2019 X7 50i

Thanks guys, my F85 x5m has even larger/wider tires but never have this issue, that's why I thought it's related to dynamic handling
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braydenx View Post
Thanks guys, my F85 x5m has even larger/wider tires but never have this issue, that's why I thought it's related to dynamic handling
its dependent on a lot of things. geometry of the steering, tire sidewall stiffness, tread compound stickiness, etc etc.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
yoshi838
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

All wheel steering

Don't forget you with Dynamic Handling Pack, you get all wheel steering. I have the same setup and also notice the 'vibration'. As far as I can tell, it simply is due to rear wheels being steered.

Also, in a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder, when I selected 4x4 mode (i.e. center diff locked at 50/50 f/r), when turning with steer wheel locked on either side gives the same 'vibration' as the inside vs outside wheels are turning at different speed while the car mechanically is stopping that from happening. So at certain point, one of the wheel has to skid as previous poster mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi838 View Post
Don't forget you with Dynamic Handling Pack, you get all wheel steering. I have the same setup and also notice the 'vibration'. As far as I can tell, it simply is due to rear wheels being steered.

Also, in a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder, when I selected 4x4 mode (i.e. center diff locked at 50/50 f/r), when turning with steer wheel locked on either side gives the same 'vibration' as the inside vs outside wheels are turning at different speed while the car mechanically is stopping that from happening. So at certain point, one of the wheel has to skid as previous poster mentioned.
This is one reason I didn't get DHP I feel like the rear steer will get a lot of stress and cause problems
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #9
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrahizzle View Post
This is one reason I didn't get DHP I feel like the rear steer will get a lot of stress and cause problems
Lexus also has a very similar rear steer system on the LC500 and maybe some of their other cars. I don't think reliability will be a big issue. Of course, you can count on the Germans to find a way to make it break . So who knows?

Toyota also had rear steer on the Celica a long time ago but I'm not sure if it was the same type of system as what these current cars have.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 03:02 PM   #10
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrahizzle View Post
Lexus also has a very similar rear steer system on the LC500 and maybe some of their other cars. I don't think reliability will be a big issue. Of course, you can count on the Germans to find a way to make it break . So who knows?

Toyota also had rear steer on the Celica a long time ago but I'm not sure if it was the same type of system as what these current cars have.
Yeah it's just peace of mind. I want to keep it for a while and I will get extended warranty. Then again. I never experienced it and I drove a fairly large suv before this so I don't think it will matter much to me in the end
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:25 PM   #11
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

I am experiencing the vibration as well and honestly it started bugging me a lot. The funny thing is I didn't experience it at all for the first 4-5 months of ownership. It started probably around May of this year and in the beginning it was only happening in the morning when I leave for work and only at the first right turn I make, then it would disappear and I won't experience it again until the next morning. Later on I would feel it every time after the car has been parked for a while and when I leave I feel it again at the first right turn. It was just a noise in the beginning. Later it became a combination of noise and vibrations. After a while I started noticing it on the first 2-3 right turns and the noise became louder and the vibrations became more pronounced. I definitely think something isn't right since it isn't happening on every turn but just the first 1 or 2 and I am not even turning the steering wheel fully to the maximum. Initially I thought something was wrong with the wheel hub bearing or the axle. Dealership says it's normal but I just don't understand why the noise and vibrations started months after I purchased the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #12
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

Just so everyone is aware of this...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76367-9999.pdf

If your X7 didn't do it when you got it but is doing it now the problem might be with the X-Drive unit (transfer case) fluid. My X7 was shuddering at low speed when backing up and moving forward with the wheels turned. If your rig is still under warranty I would bring this up with your service manager. I had an indy shop change it out after the dealership quoted over $1K for the service. The fluid change completely solved the issue.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #13
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp View Post

If your X7 didn't do it when you got it but is doing it now the problem might be with the X-Drive unit (transfer case) fluid. My X7 was shuddering at low speed when backing up and moving forward with the wheels turned. If your rig is still under warranty I would bring this up with your service manager. I had an indy shop change it out after the dealership quoted over $1K for the service. The fluid change completely solved the issue.
Thank you smp,

I will definitely check with the service manager. I am running a square 22" winter set up and was wondering if that may have caused the issue. Will have to check if according to BMW my tire fitment is considered correct or not. There is a good chance BMW denies fixing it under warranty if the tire fitment is incorrect. The issue I am experiencing is like at time of turning something is preventing the wheel from spinning for a split second, followed by the vibration and then suddenly it releases it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

If anyone has driven an older 4-wheel drive with a locking dif, the feeling is very similar to that when you are backing up and moving forward at slow speeds with the wheels turned. It almost feels like the dif gears are binding up. Anyway super happy I got it solved with a fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I get it in my XB7 when turning tightly while going slow. Usually feel it mostly in the rear outside corner. The service department explained that with larger wheels/tires, the rotation of the wheels is slightly off so you essentially get a kind “skid” as the push sideways a bit. It’s easily replicated so I assume it’s normal as they said.
Hey PNWM3,

Are you experiencing the vibrations with your winter set on as well or just with the summer set?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
yoshi838
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the bulletin. One of the two things I need to get sorted with the dealer during the next visit. I am out of factory warranty (> 50K miles) but I have the platinum extended warranty. I can only hope they will honor and complete this transfer case oil change without charging the a nominal fee.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #17
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
Hey PNWM3,

Are you experiencing the vibrations with your winter set on as well or just with the summer set?
I just saw this. Same with the winter set. I actually went to BMW Seattle the other day and the shop foreman drove it around a bit with me in the car and he said it’s as expected. It’s like other said above, just a lot of weight on tires moving at different speeds/angles causes it in slow, tight turns.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 02:48 PM   #18
yoshi838
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the bulletin. One of the two things I need to get sorted with the dealer during the next visit. I am out of factory warranty (> 50K miles) but I have the platinum extended warranty. I can only hope they will honor and complete this transfer case oil change without charging the a nominal fee.
What sucks for me as a Canadian owner is that BMW Canada does not observe or necessarily adopt the bulletins issued by BMW US.... I understand, but disappointed with the answer.

Follow-up to my own post. After I brought the car in and brought the foreman to a short but effective test drive around the parking lot, he immediately acknowledged the vibration issue. Transfer case oil was changed the same day. Before I took my car back, they even suggested, drive it about 200 miles, and if the vibration still exists, come back and we will write up a case to have the entire transfer case replaced.

The vibration has not gone away after the 500 miles I have since driven. Let's see if the dealer will live up to its words for replacing the transfer case under some form of warranty...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 01:22 AM   #19
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan, jet black

Quote:
What sucks for me as a Canadian owner is that BMW Canada does not observe or necessarily adopt the bulletins issued by BMW US.... I understand, but disappointed with the answer.

Follow-up to my own post. After I brought the car in and brought the foreman to a short but effective test drive around the parking lot, he immediately acknowledged the vibration issue. Transfer case oil was changed the same day. Before I took my car back, they even suggested, drive it about 200 miles, and if the vibration still exists, come back and we will write up a case to have the entire transfer case replaced.

The vibration has not gone away after the 500 miles I have since driven. Let's see if the dealer will live up to its words for replacing the transfer case under some form of warranty...

I think I have the same issue. We’re you able to get it resolved?
      08-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #20
yoshi838
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh335 View Post
I think I have the same issue. We’re you able to get it resolved?
So, after 7 weeks of waiting and without my X7, I finally got it back yesterday. BMW Toronto (kudos to the team there), after some back and forth, was able to deliver. My car's original factory warranty (4y, 80k kilometer) had expired a while ago. But I purchased what they called the platinum warranty as extended warranty which gives similar coverage for unlimited KMs and 7 years.

As I slowly built up my case with this dealer, they lived up to their words and have the entire transfer case replaced under warranty. The 7 weeks was mostly due to delay in the part(s) arriving. After the part arrived, it took them 4 business days to replace and road test the car. And I am happy to report the vibrations and juddering during low speed maneuver are no longer there.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup197.50
      08-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #21
GCR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40

Quote:

This! It may be overkill, but these transfer cases only hold 1/2 liter of fluid, and I will be changing mine every 25k miles, along with the front and rear differential fluids. Rather pay for the fluids and some labor than $4k+ for a replacement.

Last edited by GCR; 08-23-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #22
PeliLover
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 328i

Same thing happening to me

Hi! I'm slowly building the case as well. Gone through the first step to exchange oil, which did not solve the problem. After 125 miles I took it back, they reinspected and actually contacted BMW. They asked me to come back after 1000 miles, which I expect to see in about 1 month. Keep you all posted -- I'm probably 400 miles in from the original oil change and the vibrations are actually worse.
Appreciate 0