F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW V2 sagging issue?
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

KW V2 sagging issue?

I wouldn't say that I felt like I had a problem when I contacted KW about how low the rear was sitting, more to determine whether or not it was normal. For reference, this is how I currently sit which is as high as I can go as I've maxed out on the perch threads.

This by measurement is on average between both sides of 32.5cm from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender, which is just above the top of the tire (33.0cm). With my summer set being taller (33.7cm), they tuck in to the fender well a little bit more.

For the summer time this was perfectly fine, but after this winter I certainly thought being this low would have cause some damage to the front lip due to all the ice chucks on the road. Fortunately, I didn't suffer any this winter but thought maybe I should look in to getting the rear spring spacer to give myself some more clearance since the fronts can still go up.

I contacted KW and they requested some vehicle and part number info as well as some measurements. This included the middle of the wheel to the top of the fender as well as the distance between the top of the spring and the top of the perch (as seen as A below)

I have a F31 328i xDrive with EDC my parts and measurements were:
Kit: 152200AD
Shock: 63720972
Spring (main): 110-200*19E14
Wheel measurements: LR 328mm/RR 322mm
A: LR 43.9mm/44.1mm

After confirming that I had the correct parts and everything was installed correctly, confirmed that my fender measurements were in fact 20mm too low.

After providing them with my invoice, a warranty claim was initiated and new longer springs are being shipped out today. I had a choice between two different spring rate of either a 571 lbs/in or 685 lbs/in rate where standard is 630 lbs/in, and chose the stiffer ones.

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that in my case it was this simple after reading issues others have had. I sent the info around lunch time, and the replacement order was created by dinner.

Figured I'd share my experience in case others were in a similar situation and know that there are options for linear springs other than the spring spacers. Once I have them replaced I'll provide an update.

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic

Current - 2021 Audi RS6 Avant
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Glad you got this fixed so fast. It took me almost 3 months of back and forth with KW. Maybe because of all the complaints they got they realize there is an issue so they now respond much quicker?

Anyway, here is a pic of the old versus new spring I got for my Audi S5:

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep

That's why I felt like I needed to post it because of how quickly it was "resolved". I mean I won't know if it fixes it, but in my case I'm alright with the height as it stands but would use it if I had it.

Funny thing was, the guy mentioned he hadn't heard about issues with sagging on linear springs which I thought would make this interaction lengthy. He said he would look in to it, and the next email was about what my options were.

I'm curious for those with sedans, what their spring part numbers are. The replacement spring will be 120-220 where the 120 denotes the spring rate code and 220 being the spring length (standard 110-200). Wonder if in my case the wagons use the sedan springs which aren't paired well with the extra weight of the wagon?

I really wasn't expecting much. Thinking worst case I would order the spacers and call it a day, but instead I get a free set of springs that are longer and stiffer. Win/win in my book and worth it for others to contact them if they're have similar issues.

If the PSS10s were out when I was buying, I may have gone to them to try as I liked them on the my S4 but I also had binding and clanking noise on them which would have made be second guess my decision.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Very cool. Same here. I was only able to raise it 1/4" over summer for winter. I just raised the front an 1.5" to get the front off the ground. I had a little bit of reverse rake going on but for winter mode I didn't care. I thought about going the spacer route but I am fine I guess and I like the way it rides. Good to know they have great customer service because they could have went the cheap route and gave you the spacers over the springs to wipe their hands of the issue. Good for them for doing the right thing. I just lowered mine for summer. I will see if I can get a peak at the part number on my spring though my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
...I just lowered mine for summer...
I'm guessing I'm not putting my summers on for another 4-6 weeks
It may be warm enough before then, but the roads won't be cleaned and fixed for a while after.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Good to know they have great customer service because they could have went the cheap route and gave you the spacers over the springs to wipe their hands of the issue. Good for them for doing the right thing. I just lowered mine for summer. I will see if I can get a peak at the part number on my spring though my wheels.
KW did that with me a few years ago. The gave me the spacers which didnt solve the issue at all. What I dont understand is why this is even an issue? I am sure they test this on a car? And if this is an issue why doesnt it impact all users?

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0