BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum A Fair Comparison Of The X7 For Those Considering Upgrading From An X5

05-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

A Fair Comparison Of The X7 For Those Considering Upgrading From An X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxxxx
Surprisingly I believe the X7 is about the same width or less than X5. I prefer it this way to make a more nimble driving experience.
I thought this deserved its own space for discussion as I read this type of comment a lot and we have dozens of perspective X7 buyers visiting daily.

The 2019 X7 is 3” wider, 2” taller, and 11” longer than the prior generation 2014-2018 X5 which is the model most of us have experienced and upgraded from.

The X7 does not handle nearly as well. “Nimble” is not a word I would use to describe it. The X7 does an admirable job of handling for its size but has significant body lean on local windy roads, cannot corner well at high speed, and is far more difficult to maneuver in a tight driveway. Even nose-in parking at the local shopping plaza is an adventure as my wife and I are two-weeks in and neither of us have yet to successfully park straight on the first try.

I am happy with our new luxury family hauler, but the X5 handles like a BMW whereas the X7 handles like a truck. It’s a very different driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #2
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

I’ve actually been wowed by how the X7 handles.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
I’ve actually been wowed by how the X7 handles.
Are you coming from a large 7-passenger SUV like a Navigator or Land Rover? I can see how the X7 would compete or even dominate a handling competition in that segment, but to an X5 its a different story.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Having never owned an X5 and only driving the new X5 on a test route, I found them similar for most driving. But the X7 being a much larger vehicle would display all the characteristics you described above, as would any larger vehicle. As for the X7 handling, I owned three consecutive GL/GLS 550's and the X7 definitely handles better. Our X7 does not have the Dynamic Handling Package but maybe someone who has that package could comment on the cornering with that package on board.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I thought this deserved its own space for discussion as I read this type of comment a lot and we have dozens of perspective X7 buyers visiting daily.

The 2019 X7 is 3” wider, 2” taller, and 11” longer than the prior generation 2014-2018 X5 which is the model most of us have experienced and upgraded from.

The X7 does not handle nearly as well. “Nimble” is not a word I would use to describe it. The X7 does an admirable job of handling for its size but has significant body lean on local windy roads, cannot corner well at high speed, and is far more difficult to maneuver in a tight driveway. Even nose-in parking at the local shopping plaza is an adventure as my wife and I are two-weeks in and neither of us have yet to successfully park straight on the first try.

I am happy with our new luxury family hauler, but the X5 handles like a BMW whereas the X7 handles like a truck. It’s a very different driving experience.
Have you ever had a 7-passenger SUV? Sounds like the X5 has been your largest car up until now. I can see how this one would seem so different and large to you. I think those of us who are used to driving larger SUV’s have had a different experience. 🤷🏻*♀️
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
Even nose-in parking at the local shopping plaza is an adventure as my wife and I are two-weeks in and neither of us have yet to successfully park straight on the first try.

Do you have the DHP? I found I have the opposite experience as you. The turning radius on the X7 seems magically small. Handles great for such a big car. Coming from a Cayenne S.
      05-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Our X7 does not have the Dynamic Handling Package but maybe someone who has that package could comment on the cornering with that package on board.
Picking mine up in 3 hours and driving 300 miles to get back home in it. It does have DHP, so I’ll report back.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
      05-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Picking mine up in 3 hours and driving 300 miles to get back home in it. It does have DHP, so I’ll report back.
Do you know if DHP can be manually deactivated for comparison purposes?

We had "Active Curve" on our 17 Mercedes GLS 550 but it was always on, no way to deactivate it. Most GLS 550 owners who opted for Active Curve go on-and-on about it, but I personally didn't find that it made much of a difference for $2,900. I wouldn't have optioned it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

We had "Active Curve" on our 17 Mercedes GLS 550 but it was always on, no way to deactivate it. Most GLS 550 owners who opted for Active Curve go on-and-on about it, but I personally didn't find that it made much of a difference for $2,900. I wouldn't have optioned it again.
I’m supposed to spend a significant amount of time with a “genius” today, so I’ll add that to my growing list of questions. My current GL550 is a 2016, and while it has every option that was available at that time, I don’t believe active curve was available on that model.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I’m supposed to spend a significant amount of time with a “genius” today, so I’ll add that to my growing list of questions. My current GL550 is a 2016, and while it has every option that was available at that time, I don’t believe active curve was available on that model.
As a fellow 550 owner I'm sure you will be very pleased with your new X7. I find it much more enjoyable to drive. What exterior color and interior leather/trim package did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As a fellow 550 owner I'm sure you will be very pleased with your new X7. I find it much more enjoyable to drive. What exterior color and interior leather/trim package did you go with?
50i Mineral White with the Ivory/Navy Individual interior and grey trim. I’m incredibly small and can’t go without running boards, so I went with Luxury.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
50i Mineral White with the Ivory/Navy Individual interior and grey trim. I’m incredibly small and can’t go without running boards, so I went with Luxury.
We also have the 50i with the same interior and trim but our exterior is arctic gray.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
Do you have the DHP? I found I have the opposite experience as you. The turning radius on the X7 seems magically small. Handles great for such a big car. Coming from a Cayenne S.
I have DHP on my 4 Series but not on my X7. It wasn’t on my X5 either and didn’t need it.

I am clear on the handling of the X7, but wanted to clarify for those who believe that because it’s roughly the same width as the new X5 that it handles and maneuvers as well as the X5. It doesn’t. X5 drives like a sedan. X7 like a truck with a high center of gravity.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
FWIW, there's a few different parts of the DHP package.
- M Sport Brakes
- Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview
- Integral Active Steering
- M Sport Differential

The brakes and differential are always working, of course, when called upon. The Active Steering will actuate under certain driving parameters, but is not selectable or controllable by the driver. Those with DHP on the G05 are reporting that the Road Preview function, where the car adjusts to the upcoming road, only functions when there is a route active in navigation. This kind of makes sense, but still seems a bit odd to me, as for you to use it on your daily drive home from work, you'd have to have the navigation system giving you a route with directions how to get home. Which you obviously don't need the navigation, since you drive it every day and know the route.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
FWIW, there's a few different parts of the DHP package.
- M Sport Brakes
- Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview
- Integral Active Steering
- M Sport Differential

The brakes and differential are always working, of course, when called upon. The Active Steering will actuate under certain driving parameters, but is not selectable or controllable by the driver. Those with DHP on the G05 are reporting that the Road Preview function, where the car adjusts to the upcoming road, only functions when there is a route active in navigation. This kind of makes sense, but still seems a bit odd to me, as for you to use it on your daily drive home from work, you'd have to have the navigation system giving you a route with directions how to get home. Which you obviously don't need the navigation, since you drive it every day and know the route.
For the Integral Active Steering, do cars without DHP also have rear-wheel steering?
      05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
For the Integral Active Steering, do cars without DHP also have rear-wheel steering?
No - not by default. I think in some regions it is optional though, but it is not standard for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

IAS is sometimes available as a stand-alone option.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

hey todd agree on nimble vs less nimble. the current gen x5 feels much smaller than the x7, but the trade off there is that the x7 has a heft to it that adds to the comfort both in town and on the highway. on the highway it's a locomotive. it's the smoothest thing i've driven at speed. i don't throw this vehicle around corners though, and never intend to.

re low speed maneuverability i actually find it easier to ease into tight spots with the x7 because the front of the vehicle is more squared off than the heavily flared front end of the x5 which makes it a bit of a guess game for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Did you drive one with the DHP package? I believe it makes a huge difference in terms of parking and low speed maneuvering.

I've also driven a base G05 and didn't notice the handling to be that different, granted I do don't toss these big SUVs into corners as most of the time we're in the SUV I've got 2 toddlers in car seats in the back and my wife who gets nauseous easily.
      05-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #20
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
hey todd agree on nimble vs less nimble. the current gen x5 feels much smaller than the x7, but the trade off there is that the x7 has a heft to it that adds to the comfort both in town and on the highway. on the highway it's a locomotive. it's the smoothest thing i've driven at speed. i don't throw this vehicle around corners though, and never intend to.

re low speed maneuverability i actually find it easier to ease into tight spots with the x7 because the front of the vehicle is more squared off than the heavily flared front end of the x5 which makes it a bit of a guess game for me.
Agreed, great post. We just turned in a 2017 X5 and it was no different than a sedan around town, driveway, parking, etc. Just a learning curve for the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did you drive one with the DHP package? I believe it makes a huge difference in terms of parking and low speed maneuvering.

I've also driven a base G05 and didn't notice the handling to be that different, granted I do don't toss these big SUVs into corners as most of the time we're in the SUV I've got 2 toddlers in car seats in the back and my wife who gets nauseous easily.
I did test drive a DHP X7 and it had the same top-heavy feel as the one without DHP that I wound up leasing. The suspension on the DHP isn't different than the standard suspension. On my 4 Series it makes a world of difference as it includes the Adaptive M suspension, but not so on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:

I would consider this package in our next X7 for the added mobility when parking or making a tight 180. As for it reducing sway, not a big deal to me either. It's a large SAV, not a sports car.
Appreciate 0