BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 Steering Sensitivity at high speeds

04-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Scanger
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

BMW X7 Steering Sensitivity at high speeds

Hi Everyone,

I took my new BMW X7 out for the first family road trip this weekend and got my first chance to drive long-distance in the car.

I noticed the X7 was very sensitive at high speeds. The car often seemed to be veering in one direction or another and I would need to frequently adjust the car to stop it from going out of the lane. I had not experienced this during our test drives but then again we never went this fast or this far during any test drive. This is only an issue at high speeds.

This is my first BMW (previously driving a Volkswagen Tiguan) so I'm not sure if they all drive like this or whether it's just the X7.

Anyone having similar problems and any suggestions for fixing the issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanger View Post
Hi Everyone,

I took my new BMW X7 out for the first family road trip this weekend and got my first chance to drive long-distance in the car.

I noticed the X7 was very sensitive at high speeds. The car often seemed to be veering in one direction or another and I would need to frequently adjust the car to stop it from going out of the lane. I had not experienced this during our test drives but then again we never went this fast or this far during any test drive. This is only an issue at high speeds.

This is my first BMW (previously driving a Volkswagen Tiguan) so I'm not sure if they all drive like this or whether it's just the X7.

Thanks!
I also took our X7 out on a long trip this weekend but did not experience steering sensitivity but I used the autonomous cruise most of the time and it worked great, the auto lane change does not work great though when it changes lanes it wants to keep going.

Other than that great highway vehicle and highway mileage was good averaged about 26.6 mpg @ 75mph average.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
I also took our X7 out on a long trip this weekend but did not experience steering sensitivity but I used the autonomous cruise most of the time and it worked great, the auto lane change does not work great though when it changes lanes it wants to keep going.

Other than that great highway vehicle and highway mileage was good averaged about 26.6 mpg @ 75mph average.
Do you have integral active steering?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Do you have integral active steering?
I forgot to mention if you have steering intervention on you may want to turn it off. BMW steering intervention system is way too sensitive and when it redirects or corrects it is too aggressive and I find it over corrects. I find it is intrusive and for now this system, I feel is, not ready for mainstream use, maybe it will get better with future software updates. I believe this could possibly be your problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Scanger
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
I forgot to mention if you have steering intervention on you may want to turn it off. BMW steering intervention system is way too sensitive and when it redirects or corrects it is too aggressive and I find it over corrects. I find it is intrusive and for now this system, I feel is, not ready for mainstream use, maybe it will get better with future software updates. I believe this could possibly be your problem.

Thank you! This might actually be the problem since we had it on high the whole time. It really felt like I was fighting the car at times. I will turn it off and give it another try today.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

This is a very common thought among G05 and G07 owners. Multiple reports in the G05 forum about the steering intervention causing either a near miss, or an actual accident.

Just two of the threads:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1559384
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575388
Appreciate 0