BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Driving assistant Professional

05-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
AKBill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Driving assistant Professional

I am considering a newly arrived 2024 X7 here in Florida. It is beautiful and has nearly every option available including the Executive Package. Unfortunately this car does not have the Diving Assiatant Professional option installed.

Is it possible to add the driveing assistance Professional aftermarket through software or possible in any manner?

Thanks for his in advance. Great to join as a loyal X7 (2022) owner now.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #2
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBill View Post
I am considering a newly arrived 2024 X7 here in Florida. It is beautiful and has nearly every option available including the Executive Package. Unfortunately this car does not have the Diving Assiatant Professional option installed.

Is it possible to add the driveing assistance Professional aftermarket through software or possible in any manner?

Thanks for his in advance. Great to join as a loyal X7 (2022) owner now.
Unfortunately you cannot add DAPP after the fact.

Personally I love the Highway Assistant and would not purchase an X7 without it, especially in Florida with lots of highways. But your driving style may be different.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      05-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
Unfortunately you cannot add DAPP after the fact.

Personally I love the Highway Assistant and would not purchase an X7 without it, especially in Florida with lots of highways. But your driving style may be different.
Yeah it's nowhere near perfect but I still would hate to not have it
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I don't miss it to be honest. Having a radar based cruise control would be nice, but a standard one is sufficient for me. I don't trust autonomous driving - there is no way I'd trust my and my family lives to the system that can potentially glitch and kill us.

When it comes to this kind of questions in general, people here tend to say "I'd never buy an X7 without (insert you package name here)". Just search for topics related to DHP, for example. These responses are very subjective and may not apply to you. Yes, it would be great to have all packages, but if you're not ordering a car from a factory it would be very hard to find one with all options you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

I ordered mine from factory and purposely did not choose DAPP. As sharp said, I do not trust these systems, yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
I don't miss it to be honest. Having a radar based cruise control would be nice, but a standard one is sufficient for me. I don't trust autonomous driving - there is no way I'd trust my and my family lives to the system that can potentially glitch and kill us.

When it comes to this kind of questions in general, people here tend to say "I'd never buy an X7 without (insert you package name here)". Just search for topics related to DHP, for example. These responses are very subjective and may not apply to you. Yes, it would be great to have all packages, but if you're not ordering a car from a factory it would be very hard to find one with all options you want.
I find it very helpful and wouldn't be without it. It makes for a very relaxing drive, but paying attention is absolutely necessary! Keep in mind that autonomous driving adds safety factors as well as automation. I don't believe it will ever be completely autonomous until roads and markings are standardized.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #7
srbabu790
Commander ||
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Garage List
Its not really anything close to autonomous driving capability. Like the name suggests it only is a "driving assistance package". I don't see it other than some additional conveniences, which I would love on long drives on highways. At low speeds, I find it very unreliable, the braking is not fast enough or adequate and it shuts off frequently asking the driver to take complete control.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 10:22 AM   #8
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbabu790 View Post
Its not really anything close to autonomous driving capability. Like the name suggests it only is a "driving assistance package". I don't see it other than some additional conveniences, which I would love on long drives on highways. At low speeds, I find it very unreliable, the braking is not fast enough or adequate and it shuts off frequently asking the driver to take complete control.
How about "semi-autonomous"? I agree, they all seem too late and too quick.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post

Well nobody in their right mind is calling it autonomous and the idiots that try and trick the system and buy gadgets to put on the steering wheel are insane. However, it being an assistance package does remove some of the stress of long road trips. I just drove 6 hours straight which I rarely do and felt great. I think for these road trips on long straight highways, then it does help out. But no, I wouldn't go hands off for very long at all at high speeds. However, it's awesome in stop and go under 40mph. For the short periods of bumper to bumper traffic, the assist plus and complete hands off was great.
Appreciate 0