BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Owners who have come from flagship sedans (S Class, 7 Series, Lexus LS, etc)

08-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

X7 Owners who have come from flagship sedans (S Class, 7 Series, Lexus LS, etc)

Hey all-

Like the title says, I'm interested in feedback from X7 owners who came from driving large luxury sedans. How do you feel about the ride and quietness characteristics of the X7 vs those cars?

I'm a longtime large sedan driver and I'm considering jumping into SUVs with the X7.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Hey all-

Like the title says, I'm interested in feedback from X7 owners who came from driving large luxury sedans. How do you feel about the ride and quietness characteristics of the X7 vs those cars?

I'm a longtime large sedan driver and I'm considering jumping into SUVs with the X7.
I had a 2016 audi s8 plus and obviously power wise this wouldn't compare but quietness wise I love the x7... it is truly comfortable to drive and just do smooth.

I currently drive a tesla model x now and the wife has the x7 40i and because I drive so much I would probably want the x7 over any audi right now because of the assisted driving items. if the x7 has autopilot like the tesla I would jump out of this tesla asap...I would probably rather drive anything else but this car except the fact this has autopilot. but my God if this tesla sucks as a car lol.

as far as you wanting to know if you should go with a large sedan or suv it's all up to you... it really does depend on if you like suvs... if you don't mind driving an suv then you will for sure love the x7 as I'm always blown away how good the x7 is. of course I'm looking for quiet smooth and comfortable now
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

S6,S8,A8,RR,etc.... The X7 M50i with dhp puts them to shame. The X7 feels like a bank vault around you. You sit up higher but there is more to it than that. So quiet and feels like you are on a air hockey table with little to no contact with any bumps or road imperfections. Power is everywhere and feels endless giving you a odd sensation that a vehicle this big shouldn’t be able to accelerate this quick. That alone is worth the price of admission. Even when my kids are gone we will never move back to a luxury sedan.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-26-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

My wife had three consecutive 7 series sedans before the X7. She never saw herself in an SUV, but got an X7 loaner and liked it so much that we bought it immediately. It really is a very similar version of luxury, fit and finish and is more utilitarian for our twin girls. The X7 rides just as well, gives her more confidence on the road from being up higher and is slightly quieter in my experience than the 7 series. I'm sure the 7 series may handle better in the twisties (cannot fight physics), but that isn't a factor for her.

She made me promise to buy a myself new refreshed 2022(?) 7 series when my X5 lease is up "to make up" for her giving up her 7 series sedan. Who am I to argue with that logic?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
S6,S8,A8,RR,etc.... The X7 M50i with dhp puts them to shame. The X7 feels like a bank vault around you. You sit up higher but there is more to it than that. So quiet and feels like you are on a air hockey table with little to no contact with any bumps or road imperfections. Power is everywhere and feels endless giving you a odd sensation that a vehicle this big shouldn't be able to accelerate this quick. That alone is worth the price of admission. Even when my kids are gone we will never move back to a luxury sedan.
puts them to shame in what aspect though? my s8 was much faster than any m50i is and I doubt it can handle better than the s6 you had... not that your s6 was a track monster by any means but definitely has to handle better than that x7.

overall yes the x7 is truly the best suv out of the competing suvs in this price range for sure...I looked at all of them including new gls navigator escalade etc... even though I may get the new escalade in diesel if the assisted driving is really good.

either way if you really don't mind suvs then you will absolutely love the x7... again I can't stop driving my wife's... starting to really hate my tesla lol
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      08-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

I currently drive a tesla model x now and the wife has the x7 40i and because I drive so much I would probably want the x7 over any audi right now because of the assisted driving items. if the x7 has autopilot like the tesla I would jump out of this tesla asap...I would probably rather drive anything else but this car except the fact this has autopilot. but my God if this tesla sucks as a car lol.

Can you compare what I am missing with the autopilot in the Tesla compared to my X7. I'd really like to know from someone first hand. Seeing as you own one of each, who better to ask?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

So for me, I have always liked having an SUV, but I have liked having one in the family, for every day I have always come back to my sedan. I love extremely quiet, well made great riding cars.

Used to be I just never drove an SUV I felt rode as well, but that is changing. The X7, full Range Rover, even the Q7 or Q8 really seem on a test drive to ride just as well. Thats a test drive though.

We have young kids and my wife insists on a minivan for her, so if I want an SUV in the family its gotta be my car.

Currently have a 2017 Lexus LS460L and considering an S560, 750 or an X7 50i, will look at a Range Rover too but the X7 is more modern and has the third row

Thank you all for your thoughts, keep them coming!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #8
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

the x's setup is anything but autopilot. It kinda meanders in the lane at speed sometimes, but with very clearly-marked lane lines it's a bit more sure-footed. The traffic assist that operates under 40mph is, however, reasonably slick.

Autopilot in my coworker's 3 just does all the things. You're not going to get that in a bimmer.

As far as the question in the OP: I think the softest hefty sedan I've driven has been the lexus LS. I like my x7 more. It's every bit as quiet (moreso?), and overall more comfortable. Even though it's definitely a passenger-centric vehicle, it still drives rather well. Coming from my s6 I have zero complaints at all.

Skip the dynamic handling package and you'll be pushing your x7 off a bridge into a volcano. It makes the car.

edit: reading your reply, make sure that "50i" is the "m50i". Don't make that mistake.

I disliked the q7. I wanted to sleep the entire time I drove it. It was docile, perfectly fine, boring, but probably would wake up a bit in the sq or rsq variants. Still, feh. crap third row had me tossing it out. q8's chassis felt better and the rsq8 is a gem, but no third row and my local dealerships had the bright idea to charge a sensible accord on top of retail for them... yeahno.

my wife decided we were getting an odyssey. I decided she was wrong. Just... no.

new s class makes a compelling argument (GLS being the more appropriate competition), but I wanted 3 rows and the facelift S is due out next year?

Last edited by jsmonet; 08-26-2020 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

Driving S Classes and 750s, they're as soft as the LS460 too in their comfort modes. Very similar. Need more seat time in an X7.

I would likely order it, so I will get the DHP.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #10
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Coming from 8 7-series and 5 MB S classes, im happy with it. Could be quieter and more comfortable but this is an suv and I do have the 22's on it. The reason I made the switch was because I have 2 dogs and the X7 was the perfect utility vehicle. Comfort wise it doesn't hold a candle to the W222 S Class. But it isn't uncomfortable.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #11
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Driving S Classes and 750s, they're as soft as the LS460 too in their comfort modes. Very similar. Need more seat time in an X7.

I would likely order it, so I will get the DHP.
Oh yes do not skip DHP, this vehicle needs it.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Hey all-

If your goal is Luxury, get the X7 and don’t look back.

If your goal is Sport, stay with the sedan as an SUV isn’t for you.

As a family of long-time BMW sport sedan owners we are thrilled with our X7 because we embrace it as a comfortable, quiet, spacious luxury cruiser. We’ve got 4 Series and 3 Series in the garage if we want to have a firm and sporty experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
puts them to shame in what aspect though? my s8 was much faster than any m50i is and I doubt it can handle better than the s6 you had... not that your s6 was a track monster by any means but definitely has to handle better than that x7.

overall yes the x7 is truly the best suv out of the competing suvs in this price range for sure...I looked at all of them including new gls navigator escalade etc... even though I may get the new escalade in diesel if the assisted driving is really good.

either way if you really don't mind suvs then you will absolutely love the x7... again I can't stop driving my wife's... starting to really hate my tesla lol
As a total luxury experience in power, room, and tech the X7 blows any of my luxury cars away. Opulent might be the better word to describe the difference. It’s a real world 4 second 0-60mph tech filled presidential suite on wheels.
(I will get more draggy times when the temp gets lower in the fall)

I also owned a S8 and then a A8. I did not find my S8 that much better in performance than the A8 I replaced it with other than its stiffer suspension. Rattles and constant electronic gremlins haunted my S8. Ignition issues with the key never were figured out. My dealer was constantly chasing suspension thumping noises. I traded the S8 in for a RR that was a nightmare and ultimately dumped the RR in 7 months for a A8. The A8 was better but started to share some of the same issues the S8 had and at that point I was ready to move away from the platform and traveling with a stroller in the trunk left little room. Audi’s electronics were problematic and their UI iDrive sucked. My wife has a new A4 and she was the last Audi hold out in our family and she is ready to move out of it to a X3.
I have owned a lot of Audi’s over the last 30 years starting with a new 1988 90q. My best and favorite Audi’s have been a RS4, S8 4.2l with snowflake wheels and a baseball stitched TTqR. Three cars I wish I would have kept longer. Audi’s new design direction doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-27-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post

Can you compare what I am missing with the autopilot in the Tesla compared to my X7. I'd really like to know from someone first hand. Seeing as you own one of each, who better to ask?
so the tesla autopilot is very sure footed... it really takes control and makes you feel confident in letting the car take control while everything else feels like the case barely has any control even though the x7 i believe is probably second best out there right now.

I drive through a construction zone twice a day on the highway at 65mph and it zips through there with no interaction from me... however the x7 needs me to take control once through a pretty hard curve but again the tesla goes through it with ease.

also 1 really big factor the autopilot has that no other car manufacturer has is the ability to keep control and even avoid collision when it cannot read the lines.... everything else the car just quietly turns off and will absolutely run into a cement median... while the tesla will not.

I get that people should be paying attention while with the assisted driving but I will have to say as the assisted system gets better people will unfortunately pay less attention... it's just nature and so I think there should be some crazy warning if the system cannot control the car while the assisted system is on which tesla does so well... the tesla screams at you to take control of for some reason it cannot read the lines which it rarely does unlike other cars.

I drive roughly 80k miles per year so if I didn't have this system I would probably go crazy.... however I do seriously hate almost everything else about this car lol... oh yeah the navigation is much better on this since it's based off of Google maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:

As a total luxury experience in power, room, and tech the X7 blows any of my luxury cars away. Opulent might be the better word to describe the difference. It's a real world 4 second 0-60mph tech filled presidential suite on wheels.
(I will get more draggy times when the temp gets lower in the fall)

I also owned a S8 and then a A8. I did not find my S8 that much better in performance than the A8 I replaced it with other than its stiffer suspension. Rattles and constant electronic gremlins haunted my S8. Ignition issues with the key never were figured out. My dealer was constantly chasing suspension thumping noises. I traded the S8 in for a RR that was a nightmare and ultimately dumped the RR in 7 months for a A8. The A8 was better but started to share some of the same issues the S8 had and at that point I was ready to move away from the platform and traveling with a stroller in the trunk left little room. Audi's electronics were problematic and their UI iDrive sucked. My wife has a new A4 and she was the last Audi hold out in our family and she is ready to move out of it to a X3.
I have owned a lot of Audi's over the last 30 years starting with a new 1988 90q. My best and favorite Audi's have been a RS4, S8 4.2l with snowflake wheels and a baseball stitched TTqR. Three cars I wish I would have kept longer. Audi's new design direction doesn't interest me at all.
not sure which a8 and s8 you had but I did hear the d4 a8 s8 did get better... but I had absolutely no problems with my s8 plus and loved it... but after putting 90k miles after the first year and after test driving the tesla i knew i had to have the autopilot

I do really miss the s8 though as it was so fast and comfortable at the same time
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
Coming from 8 7-series and 5 MB S classes, im happy with it. Could be quieter and more comfortable but this is an suv and I do have the 22's on it. The reason I made the switch was because I have 2 dogs and the X7 was the perfect utility vehicle. Comfort wise it doesn't hold a candle to the W222 S Class. But it isn't uncomfortable.
So here's a question for you. I really enjoy getting in my car and driving home in quiet with the great ride after a long stressful day, it makes me feel less stressed by the time I get out of it. Do you feel that your X7 does that in a similar way to your 7 Series and S Classes. I understand the S Class is on another level slightly, as it also is compared to what I currently have.
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      08-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
So here's a question for you. I really enjoy getting in my car and driving home in quiet with the great ride after a long stressful day, it makes me feel less stressed by the time I get out of it. Do you feel that your X7 does that in a similar way to your 7 Series and S Classes. I understand the S Class is on another level slightly, as it also is compared to what I currently have.
I feel great, comfort is the same as my previous 7 series which was 2017 750i with the autobahn pkg.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #18
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

Thats great to know, thanks. I'm going to try and take an extended drive in one and a 750 back to back and see what I think. Its hard to find both a 750 and a 50i X7 to drive, most dealers only have 40is and only have 740s. The V8 adds a lot to the driving experience IMO, I had driven a 740 and wasn't impressed but the people at ClubLexus suggested I try a 750 and the V8 made the whole car feel better.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
not sure which a8 and s8 you had but I did hear the d4 a8 s8 did get better... but I had absolutely no problems with my s8 plus and loved it... but after putting 90k miles after the first year and after test driving the tesla i knew i had to have the autopilot

I do really miss the s8 though as it was so fast and comfortable at the same time
I get it. The Tesla is totally different animal. I think it’s all about what parts of the luxury experience you prioritize within the luxury vehicle market. I don’t believe there’s ever a “one size fits all”. The X7 M50i feels like a freak with its acceleration for such a big deal. It’s almost a novelty yet I would expect this level of acceleration in a luxury sedan. It’s all about perspective. I tend to buy different vehicles for all my needs that way a sports car can do its thing the best, etc... It’s when you ask one vehicle to be everything is when the owner needs to prioritize what’s the most important characteristics you need at the top of the list.

The X7 depending how it’s speced out can be 3 very different feeling vehicles. DHP is by far the most important option you want if you require it to feel like a sports sedan. It hides its weight like a magic trick. If you just want a nice people hauler for the wife then a lower optioned 40i will give most all the luxury they need. The flip side is a fully optioned M50i and it’s a rocket with a “masters of the universe” level of luxury.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-27-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thats great to know, thanks. I'm going to try and take an extended drive in one and a 750 back to back and see what I think. Its hard to find both a 750 and a 50i X7 to drive, most dealers only have 40is and only have 740s. The V8 adds a lot to the driving experience IMO, I had driven a 740 and wasn't impressed but the people at ClubLexus suggested I try a 750 and the V8 made the whole car feel better.
the v8 in any car especially turboed is going to make a huge difference in any car ... but personally I think the next car i would get is another suv and when I can afford a mclaren 765lt I'll just get that as my second car

while the s8 was fun I rarely felt like I wanted to push it especially around a corner
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

The S8, just like the other cars in that class (S63, 750) are still boats. You'll have to go 1 or ideally 2 sizes down for anything better handling. My friend had the D4 S8 with 700 APR tune and my stock S6 would still outcorner it, because.. physics. The X7 actually does feel a lot nimbler than you expect and the giant tires on the M50 and the DHP help obfuscate the true size in addition to BMW being the king of suspension/drivetrain setups right now. Overall, I'd say the X7 handles about the same as the flag ship sedans discussed, depending on the wheel/sidewall size.

IMO, if you don't need the cargo space, and want something good handling but still luxury the RS6/7 and M550/M5 would be my top pics depending where on the scale of comfort and sporty driving dynamics you want to be...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #22
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

X7 Owners who have come from flagship sedans (S Class, 7 Series, Lexus LS, etc)

Quote:
Currently have a 2017 Lexus LS460L and considering an S560, 750 or an X7 50i, will look at a Range Rover too but the X7 is more modern and has the third row.
If your wife is getting a minivan (good choice as they are amazingly practical even if they have a bad image/stigma) do you really need an SUV for yourself? I would personally go W222 S-Class as its the best of the large luxury sedans, feels incredibly special and opulent inside, despite being the oldest of its class, and it rides incredibly soft. If you go the BMW route go X7 over 7-series. The current 7er is pretty lackluster and doesn't have any of the sport of the old ones or the luxury of the S-Class and has become pretty ugly, so honestly the X7 is probably a better choice with a more modern interior design and overall cohesive design where the big grills actually work well while still getting a nice large luxury vehicle.