BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2021 ALPINA XB7 is Here!

10-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #67
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I do not wish to argue with you but IMO the Lavalina interior looks higher end than the Merino leather. Take a look at some of the videos posted on this form of the XB7 with lavalina leather. The seat backs are covered in leather and the second row cupholder is covered in leather when the captains chairs are optioned. There's more to it than just the type of leather. If it were available to US buyers I'm guessing it would be a $10,000+ option.

Certainly ALPINA does more custom coach work options. It's a bespoke interior when ordered so.

Just as a background to owning Lavalina leather as it requires special care and cleaning. I have ran into it at a concourse event I was competing in and was involved in teaching a class that day where the topic came up from a owner.
PH balanced soap and very clean/pure water is what is required. You don't full around with average leather products. The pores are very open so it absorbs clothing dyes very easy so you have to stay on top of Lavalina leather cleaning.
He's not even joking about the care for LAVALINA leather. Since all ALPINA models get LAVALINA leather as-standard and it's noticeably of a higher quality than any of BMW's interior leather options such as Nappa and Merino that we get here in the North American market.

Only select, non-salt-preserved cowhides from South Germany are used in making this type of leather. The hides are tanned and then dyed using only natural dyes and it's the softest and most breathable of all of these leather options.

The only downside which can be a challenge for guys that don't want to care for this grade of interior is that it requires regular cleaning, using only boiled water and a pH-neutral soap. Yes, it's very expensive and feels extremely luxurious but it comes attached to an ALPINA and that's usually well worth all of the money spent to acquire one.
All Alpina's definitely do not get the Lavalina leather as standard. Even in Germany it's an €11k option.

Here's a link to the Euro configurator:

https://www.alpina-configurator.com/...7awfA/interior
Attached Images

10-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #68
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

People seem to be focused solely on the subtle cosmetic changes and power boost, not taking into account the legendary chassis tuning Alpina is famous for.

Their formula is no different for the XB7 from what I've heard. They took a top-heavy pig on ice and turned it into a slightly slimmer and more nimble pig on ice. :

If they would nix the 3rd row seating in favor of expanded legroom for the 2nd row I'd buy one tonight without hesitation.

Nobody does sophisticated hotrod quite like the folks at Alpina.
Attached Images

10-08-2020, 03:02 AM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Ehhhh, I would rather take an X5M.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #70
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Most of the negative comments about the XB7 are from M50i owners so I take their comments with a grain of salt. I don't doubt they believe what they post but its biased as most thinking is. I don't look down on any buyers choice of vehicles since it's their hard earned cash but disparaging the XB7 because you bought a M50i is nonsense. Different vehicles for different buyers. Live and let live.
There is nothing wrong with opinions and critiques of the ALPINA design. It's not personal or done with malice. On a X7 enthusiast forum you will get some of the most focused opinions as we are their buying demographic. Some will love it, some will hate it, and many of us sit in the middle. Every design doesn't have to be a love fest of praise to a be valid opinion.
Agreed! Not every BMW design of late will be a love fest, I think the G80/82 forum is a good example of that. As a family that has both a G07 and G05, clearly we love the BMW suv designs. Both of ours are M-sports with extended shadowline. The alpina's follow the same formula for all of their cars, and they always build upon the standard trim. I personally prefer the msport trim level of the X7. If it was between the XB7 vs M50i, It would be the M50i. Power and exclusivity come with both, as I very rarely, if ever, see M50i's. Purely subjective, my honest opinion is it boils down to looks and packaging, and the body kit of the XB7 looks more like an afterthought than it does on other alpina vehicles. Also if you prefer the look of the shadowline/extended shadowline, the Alpina's become even harder to love.
NOVA99162.50
      10-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #71
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
People seem to be focused solely on the subtle cosmetic changes and power boost, not taking into account the legendary chassis tuning Alpina is famous for.

Their formula is no different for the XB7 from what I've heard. They took a top-heavy pig on ice and turned it into a slightly slimmer and more nimble pig on ice. :

If they would nix the 3rd row seating in favor of expanded legroom for the 2nd row I'd buy one tonight without hesitation.

I would love to see the XB7 and an M50i on a slalom to see how they both do. Not sure Alpina can do better than the M50i handling wise but it would certainly be entertaining to see two huge SUV's carving around a track.
MystroX56247.50
      10-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #72
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:

I would love to see the XB7 and an M50i on a slalom to see how they both do. Not sure Alpina can do better than the M50i handling wise but it would certainly be entertaining to see two huge SUV's carving around a track.
Hopefully someone will do a direct comparison one day (I'm looking at you Carwow!). I'd put my money on the Alpina after watching it rip around the 'Ring.

10-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #73
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

That may come. I suspect some sort of ultra luxury limo package may come as the full size luxury market moves away from sedans to SUV's even more. The M760 with Rear Executive Lounge Seating is nice for the rear passengers but the trunk and over all package is too small to travel with for my family of 4. At this point in time, there isnt many options for a full size luxury vehicle that can do what the X7 M50i can do for my needs.

I am 6'3" and when I slide the rear captains chairs back and recline them back, I have enough room to almost want a footrest in the back of the front seats. It wouldnt take much to slide the second row seats back a little further to incorporate a lounge seating option.

For fun, here is a nice little autobahn blast to 160mph+

Here is as close to a front end comparison I could make to compare what is all going on in the same color.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-08-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #74
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:

Hopefully someone will do a direct comparison one day (I'm looking at you Carwow!). I'd put my money on the Alpina after watching it rip around the 'Ring.

Have you seen the video of the M50i beating up the new G63? I was shocked at how fast the M50i was. We need an XB7 vs M50i side by side. Would be glorious.
Al Pină1838.50
MystroX56247.50
      10-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #75
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

MystroX5, this is precisely what I want in the X7.. Give me the rear legroom of my 750i with improved luggage space.

I'm about 6'8" and both my sons are 6'5" and growing. We had an X7 as a service loaner for a couple weeks and it immediately became overly apparent that there simply isn't enough room for all of us to fit comfortably.

Here's hoping that the rumors of an X8 are true and they give us taller folks the room we need.

https://uk.motor1.com/photos/740731/bmw-x8-spy-photos/
Attached Images

10-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #76
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Rendering of rumored X8...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #77
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Rendering of rumored X8...
The issue is putting another slope back roof will just kill the current interior room we already have. I actually did my suitcase test on a X6 compared to my G05 X5 and it was significant how much usable space I lost. I actually was better with a X3 trunk space over a X6 trunk space with my two large suitcases.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #78
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

I want one!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #79
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Another render..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #80
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Another render..
This actually looks nice. Make an executive rear seating area, keep cargo area large and useable, and make it a V8 hybrid to go after the Cayenne Turbo S E Hybrid and I may order one.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #81
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

This is a spy photo of what is believed to be the X8 (completely different shape than the two renders above):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #82
someday
Private
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW M5 (had to get another)

Quote:
It looks great in white, not so sure about the black. Should look awesome in Tanzanite blue.
We just got ours in tanzanite last week. We’re very happy with it. Looks incredible, drives well and the interior feels very, very upscale. No complaints.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56247.50
LittleJoe1064.00
      10-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #83
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday View Post
Quote:
It looks great in white, not so sure about the black. Should look awesome in Tanzanite blue.
We just got ours in tanzanite last week. We’re very happy with it. Looks incredible, drives well and the interior feels very, very upscale. No complaints.
Post lots of pics of your new XB7 please.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56247.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      10-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #84
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Post lots of pics of your new XB7 please.
Absolutely. We need to see forum members ALPINA models a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #85
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #86
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
MystroX5, this is precisely what I want in the X7.. Give me the rear legroom of my 750i with improved luggage space.

I'm about 6'8" and both my sons are 6'5" and growing. We had an X7 as a service loaner for a couple weeks and it immediately became overly apparent that there simply isn't enough room for all of us to fit comfortably.

Here's hoping that the rumors of an X8 are true and they give us taller folks the room we need.

There may not be a vehicle big enough for your crew lol.

All joking aside if they slope it down it might kill the room. Maybe BMW like Volvo should do that executive package X7 with the second row being huge and comfy? What would the market be for an X8? An X7 stretch but a sloped X7? Anyway I dunno how plausible this all is.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #87
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Quote:

There may not be a vehicle big enough for your crew lol.

All joking aside if they slope it down it might kill the room. Maybe BMW like Volvo should do that executive package X7 with the second row being huge and comfy? What would the market be for an X8? An X7 stretch but a sloped X7? Anyway I dunno how plausible this all is.
Tall people problems...

Our 750i fits us perfectly. Wishing X7 would go the LWB Range Rover route and give us rear legroom we deserve.
      10-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #88
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Nice video, most of that actually not specific to the Alpina model, but good stuff nonetheless. Includes some little tips for all X7 owners, that if you blink, you'll miss. I actually had to rewind the video a couple times to catch something they threw out in literally 3 seconds.

Yup, yup. From the start of the X7, I've been asking for 7-series-like 2nd row legroom and luxury in an SAV. Sacrificing the 3rd row if needed. Likely happening in the upcoming X8, although reports that it will be the most expensive BMW ever made will also mean that I likely won't be able to afford it.
Appreciate 0