BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Dealer added tow-hitch

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

Dealer added tow-hitch

Does anyone know what dealers are charging to add the factory tow hitch? Anyone know the markup on that?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
106
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: X7
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Does anyone know what dealers are charging to add the factory tow hitch? Anyone know the markup on that?
I don't think it's abled to be added at the dealer (or if possible it's going to be expensive). The vehicles that come from the factory with the hitch have other part differences than just the hitch yourself. You're best bet is to have a good shop install the invis hitch. This way you also retain the ability to use kick to open.
__________________
2014 A207 E550 Vert
2018 F60 Countryman S All4
2019 G07 X7 40i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
I don't think it's abled to be added at the dealer (or if possible it's going to be expensive). The vehicles that come from the factory with the hitch have other part differences than just the hitch yourself. You're best bet is to have a good shop install the invis hitch. This way you also retain the ability to use kick to open.
On an M50i I think all the other stuff (bigger brakes) are already there so I'm pretty sure the factory hitch can be added, but more expensive than coming equipped. Dealer said they would do it at cost so I was just wondering if anyone knew what that should cost or what it typically costs retail from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
DSTJ99
Private First Class
18
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
I don't think it's abled to be added at the dealer (or if possible it's going to be expensive). The vehicles that come from the factory with the hitch have other part differences than just the hitch yourself. You're best bet is to have a good shop install the invis hitch. This way you also retain the ability to use kick to open.
On an M50i I think all the other stuff (bigger brakes) are already there so I'm pretty sure the factory hitch can be added, but more expensive than coming equipped. Dealer said they would do it at cost so I was just wondering if anyone knew what that should cost or what it typically costs retail from the dealer.
It's the bumper that is different so you would need a whole new rear bumper cover which is going to be expensive. I needed one on our x7 and ended up doing a custom order of the car to make sure I had it for hitch racks, etc. There is an aftermarket one mentioned above that was something like $600 uninstalled but factory one is going to a lot more when you have to buy the bumper. The factory one also has software modifications.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
unfoundnemo
Private First Class
144
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 (F80 ZCP/DCT)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
On an M50i I think all the other stuff (bigger brakes) are already there so I'm pretty sure the factory hitch can be added, but more expensive than coming equipped. Dealer said they would do it at cost so I was just wondering if anyone knew what that should cost or what it typically costs retail from the dealer.
Tow package has bigger rear brakes too. This is part of the reason an after market hitch cant meet the same tow capacity as a factory one.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Tow package has bigger rear brakes too. This is part of the reason an after market hitch cant meet the same tow capacity as a factory one.
A dealership told me the dealer factory installed tow hitch is not available yet for the 2020 x7 (just m50i? not sure) as it is prewired for it as opposed to 2019 x7 which weren't?

He said it is coming but may be a couple months before BMW releases it.

Does this sound right? He acted like it would not be as expensive since the 2020 x7 is already prewired for it but I just can't get it yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think your dealer service advisor may be misinformed (which is not surprising)..

Link to the trailer hitch part numbers: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_1119

Link to a few online vendors where you can get the kit, showing that it is available:

https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oem-p...10-71606889279

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...10-71606889279

The cost of the kit seems pretty reasonable. The cost of labor, to include some coding, will probably at least double the cost of the kit.
The question about the X7 coming pre-wired from the factory for the trailer hitch is a valid one since BMW is not always consistent with pre-wiring different options in different models/years. But I would imaging the presence of pre-wiring could be confirmed with a VIN search (either on the net or by the dealer)....
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....

Last edited by jmciver; 01-20-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I think your dealer service advisor may be misinformed (which is not surprising)..

Link to the trailer hitch part numbers: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_1119

Link to a few online vendors where you can get the kit, showing that it is available:

https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oem-p...10-71606889279

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...10-71606889279

The cost of the kit seems pretty reasonable. The cost of labor, to include some coding, will probably at least double the cost of the kit.
The question about the X7 coming pre-wired from the factory for the trailer hitch is a valid one since BMW is not always consistent with pre-wiring different options in different models/years. But I would imaging the presence of pre-wiring could be confirmed with a VIN search (either on the net or by the dealer)....
What you linked to is not the US factory hitch. That looks like what I understand the European hitch to look like. Maybe the 'dealer installed' BMW US hitch will be the European hitch that hides itself away? That would be slick. Maybe that's why the dealership said they can't get it yet because it has to be approved or something so to start sales in the USA of the X7 with trailer hitch they had to do the more typical American hitch but now they are prewiring 2020s that don't come from the factory with the "American" hitch for this retractable style hitch and maybe eventually the factory hitch option will turn into this too for 2021+ models? All speculation but seems logical based on the picture you posted which is available but can't be bought on an American X7 from the factory.

This would actually make a lot of sense because the 2020 X7's if you were to put on the factory hitch after production, you would have to replace the rear bumper since it sticks out through it. If the after production add on hitch that goes with the 'prewiring' was as shown in this short video, it would not require replacing the rear bumper I don't think. It looks like it tucks in behind it?

This hitch in the video definitely matches the diagram you linked to.

Wow, I'm getting excited starting to think buying one without the USA factory hitch at this point is a terrific idea if I can later add this!!


Last edited by robininni; 01-20-2020 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #9
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
What you linked to is not the US factory hitch. That looks like what I understand the European hitch to look like. Maybe the 'dealer installed' BMW US hitch will be the European hitch that hides itself away? That would be slick. Maybe that's why the dealership said they can't get it yet because it has to be approved or something so to start sales in the USA of the X7 with trailer hitch they had to do the more typical American hitch but now they are prewiring 2020s that don't come from the factory with the "American" hitch for this retractable style hitch and maybe eventually the factory hitch option will turn into this too for 2021+ models? All speculation but seems logical based on the picture you posted which is available but can't be bought on an American X7 from the factory.

This would actually make a lot of sense because the 2020 X7's if you were to put on the factory hitch after production, you would have to replace the rear bumper since it sticks out through it. If the after production add on hitch that goes with the 'prewiring' was as shown in this short video, it would not require replacing the rear bumper I don't think. It looks like it tucks in behind it?

This hitch in the video definitely matches the diagram you linked to.

Wow, I'm getting excited starting to think buying one without the USA factory hitch at this point is a terrific idea if I can later add this!!
Yes, it is the US version. Read the text in the link. It is the "Trailer tow hitch set US", the link is from the US parts catalog, not EU. You can't go by the generic picture in the parts catalog. Also, the EU version you linked to is not DOT legal here in the states. That is why you don't see that design hitch here in the states.
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....

Last edited by jmciver; 01-20-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Yes, it is the US version. Read the text in the link. It is the "Trailer tow hitch set US", the link is from the US parts catalog, not EU. You can't go by the generic picture in the parts catalog. Also, the EU version you linked to is not DOT legal here in the states. That is why you don't see that design hitch here in the states.
I see that now and that's dumb that they don't have the correct picture if this is the case. How hard would it be to have the diagram correctly match the part? Sheesh.

Also, do you know why that RealOem parts only show parts for production dates of 3/2019 as the latest month? It may not be relevant to later produced models. Maybe 4/2019 is when the 'hitch prewiring' started on X7's that didn't come from the factory with the hitch?

Last edited by robininni; 01-20-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #11
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Yes, it is the US version. Read the text in the link. It is the "Trailer tow hitch set US", the link is from the US parts catalog, not EU. You can't go by the generic picture in the parts catalog. Also, the EU version you linked to is not DOT legal here in the states. That is why you don't see that design hitch here in the states.
I see that now and that's dumb that they don't have the correct picture if this is the case. How hard would it be to have the diagram correctly match the part? Sheesh.

Also, do you know why that RealOem parts only show parts for production dates of 3/2019 as the latest month? It may not be relevant to later produced models. Maybe 4/2019 is when the 'hitch prewiring' started on X7's that didn't come from the factory with the hitch?
The RealOEM catalog gets updated on an irregular basis so I couldn't tell you when it will get updated again. However, in most cases, the part numbers will still be relevant to cars with newer build dates.
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #12
like2short
First Lieutenant
88
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: E93 m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Does anyone know what dealers are charging to add the factory tow hitch? Anyone know the markup on that?
A lot more than the $550 option! It's a fairly labor intensive job.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
robininni
Private First Class
15
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: X535d (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Stephenville, TX

iTrader: (0)

So just an update for those interested in factory tow hitch for their 2020 x7:

I questioned salesman again about the tow hitch availability because BMW Genius said it isn't available and there is no announcement that it will and thus if not equipped at the factory, you cannot add the BMW factory tow hitch to an X7.

He said this was a canned response because it hasn't been officially release but will be very soon. He says he knows this because he's been in meetings at the dealership where this topic has been discussed and a North America BMW rep who knows about this and has discussed this with the dealership confirms it is being developed as will be released for dealership install. He says this is definitely coming, but can't say for sure when, certainly before the year is over.

He's been doing this 18 years and didn't flinch, waver or otherwise sound in any way unsure of what he was saying.

I'm still not sure what that US parts hitch is that has been posted in this thread. Maybe that is the official BMW hitch that is going to be released but isn't available yet. I'm assuming that can't be ordered right now if you tried.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
So just an update for those interested in factory tow hitch for their 2020 x7:

I questioned salesman again about the tow hitch availability because BMW Genius said it isn't available and there is no announcement that it will and thus if not equipped at the factory, you cannot add the BMW factory tow hitch to an X7.

He said this was a canned response because it hasn't been officially release but will be very soon. He says he knows this because he's been in meetings at the dealership where this topic has been discussed and a North America BMW rep who knows about this and has discussed this with the dealership confirms it is being developed as will be released for dealership install. He says this is definitely coming, but can't say for sure when, certainly before the year is over.

He's been doing this 18 years and didn't flinch, waver or otherwise sound in any way unsure of what he was saying.

I'm still not sure what that US parts hitch is that has been posted in this thread. Maybe that is the official BMW hitch that is going to be released but isn't available yet. I'm assuming that can't be ordered right now if you tried.
Most likely the reason the part is in the system (and can therefore be ordered now) is for collision repair purposes. But as far as a dealer installed option/retro-fit is concerned, the dealers can't/won't do it until they have official permission from BMW HQ and have approved installation procedures.
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST