BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Warning Lights!

05-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Angry Warning Lights!

X7 has about 2.5k on the clock and today I was driving it for maybe the 3rd time or so. Put her in sport mode and slapped shifter to the left for the sport plus tranny, etc. Heavy rain today and after about an hour of driving, the wrench came up and said drivetrain issue. Soon after that the check engine light came on. By the time two hours was up, in a horrible traffic ridden commute to Long Island, the car felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. After about 3 hours at a party, started back up and engine light stayed on, but car drove normally for the 1.5 hr commute back. When I ran the diagnostics, it said all systems were fine, yet the check engine light was always lit!...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
X7 has about 2.5k on the clock and today I was driving it for maybe the 3rd time or so. Put her in sport mode and slapped shifter to the left for the sport plus tranny, etc. Heavy rain today and after about an hour of driving, the wrench came up and said drivetrain issue. Soon after that the check engine light came on. By the time two hours was up, in a horrible traffic ridden commute to Long Island, the car felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. After about 3 hours at a party, started back up and engine light stayed on, but car drove normally for the 1.5 hr commute back. When I ran the diagnostics, it said all systems were fine, yet the check engine light was always lit!...
As of this am, nothing! No lights at all. I wonder if the tough bumper to bumper driving in pouring rain for two hours triggered a glitch...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Bump!
Am I the first to experience this? Bringing in for service on Thursday, so let's see...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Driving home yesterday from work, nice warm day. Someone in front of me stopped abruptly to get into the left turn lane. I slowed down and then when they moved, I mashed on the gas to get out of the way as it was a 60MPH zone. There was nothing, no movement, no noise, it was like the accelerator wasn't connected. I held it down and it accelerated very slowly. Then threw up this same message and error. Had to limp the rest of the way home. Honestly, it was scary. When you need to get out of the way, something like this will leave you shaken up. I reported it via teleservice.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
Driving home yesterday from work, nice warm day. Someone in front of me stopped abruptly to get into the left turn lane. I slowed down and then when they moved, I mashed on the gas to get out of the way as it was a 60MPH zone. There was nothing, no movement, no noise, it was like the accelerator wasn't connected. I held it down and it accelerated very slowly. Then threw up this same message and error. Had to limp the rest of the way home. Honestly, it was scary. When you need to get out of the way, something like this will leave you shaken up. I reported it via teleservice.
Here's the deal, getting mine back today. What you and I experienced was "preservation" mode, what car goes into to protect it's "vitals".
Supposedly car needed a software update and "should" be the cure. Let's see and bring yours in ASAP and lmk...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's the deal, getting mine back today. What you and I experienced was "preservation" mode, what car goes into to protect it's "vitals".
Supposedly car needed a software update and "should" be the cure. Let's see and bring yours in ASAP and lmk...
Cool! I am waiting on them to get some parts to repair my seat that isn't working. Once that comes in I will get this in for service and let you know. I hope the software update fixes it for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I havent forgot you Fegelein. It just went in yesterday and apparently needed parts for a few recalls. So I dont have much of an update at this point. I hope they call today with more information.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I havent forgot you Fegelein. It just went in yesterday and apparently needed parts for a few recalls. So I dont have much of an update at this point. I hope they call today with more information.
During the drive home after picking it up, it happened again and I lost all power. So it is back in the shop. This is the 3rd time now so I may have to take other actions soon. Not great...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Oh, man. So sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

losing all power, and shutting down has been a known issue with the new engine/idrive combo. It is also happening on the X5 since they share the same exact components. After three visits to the dealer I made them buy it back. Now waiting on the X7 to be delivered. I'm hoping by now they have worked out those kinks. Just so you know, the first issue resulted in a faulty part that was recalled... the second a defected fan belt that broke and fell off. The third required a software update. These things, however serious they were, were all quickly diagnosed and fixed within a day or two. (except for the computer module that was recalled and needed to come from Germany)

I hope they now have enough intel to ensure it doesn't happen again with newer builds.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yeesh... hope they fix this issue by the MY2020 models, if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc View Post
losing all power, and shutting down has been a known issue with the new engine/idrive combo. It is also happening on the X5 since they share the same exact components. After three visits to the dealer I made them buy it back. Now waiting on the X7 to be delivered. I'm hoping by now they have worked out those kinks. Just so you know, the first issue resulted in a faulty part that was recalled... the second a defected fan belt that broke and fell off. The third required a software update. These things, however serious they were, were all quickly diagnosed and fixed within a day or two. (except for the computer module that was recalled and needed to come from Germany)

I hope they now have enough intel to ensure it doesn't happen again with newer builds.
Sounds like I might have the same thing. They are diagnosing a part right now with BMW in Germany. So its a waiting game of sending data and then waiting for them to reply. Im a patient person, I have owned Range Rovers so that made me develop a level of tolerance to defects. lol But never once did a Rover have a malfunction that made me lose power like this. Every time this happens I am very shaken up. If it happens again after they have it this time I am bailing on this and going to something else one way or another. I dont mind the radio not working, or other minor issues... but when I am driving and lose almost all power and have about been rear-ended 2x because of it... im losing patience. Its making me anxious to even drive it at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Sounds like I might have the same thing. They are diagnosing a part right now with BMW in Germany. So its a waiting game of sending data and then waiting for them to reply. Im a patient person, I have owned Range Rovers so that made me develop a level of tolerance to defects. lol But never once did a Rover have a malfunction that made me lose power like this. Every time this happens I am very shaken up. If it happens again after they have it this time I am bailing on this and going to something else one way or another. I dont mind the radio not working, or other minor issues... but when I am driving and lose almost all power and have about been rear-ended 2x because of it... im losing patience. Its making me anxious to even drive it at this point.
No one likes conflict but I think you should escalate this matter. You shouldn’t be living like this
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3682.50
      05-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

the power failure or shutdown you experience is the vehicle going into a self protect mode. The computer will shut down everything in order to protect the engine and related components from overheating, etc. Sucks but it makes perfect sense. I believe it is the faulty module that they replaced for me. I understand it was a recall although I didn't find anything online that mentioned it. Seems like something internal at the moment.

if you're getting a "drivetrain malfunction, reduced power"... and/or "engine temp high" or "engine overheated" msg that's probably the faulty module. Not a real engine failure, but a faulty computer module that thinks the engine has failed. In my case they were able to diagnose the problem right away but it did take a week for them to get the part from Germany.

The last issue (BC and other steering wheel controls not working) were easily fixed with a software update.

Module and software update should get you up and running in no time. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc View Post
the power failure or shutdown you experience is the vehicle going into a self protect mode. The computer will shut down everything in order to protect the engine and related components from overheating, etc. Sucks but it makes perfect sense. I believe it is the faulty module that they replaced for me. I understand it was a recall although I didn't find anything online that mentioned it. Seems like something internal at the moment.

if you're getting a "drivetrain malfunction, reduced power"... and/or "engine temp high" or "engine overheated" msg that's probably the faulty module. Not a real engine failure, but a faulty computer module that thinks the engine has failed. In my case they were able to diagnose the problem right away but it did take a week for them to get the part from Germany.

The last issue (BC and other steering wheel controls not working) were easily fixed with a software update.

Module and software update should get you up and running in no time. Good luck
Was software for me and I'm in Westchester too!
Appreciate 0