forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum CarPlay and my X7 Don’t Play Nice

04-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #23
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Still having issues. CarPlay is still intermittent. This is what it looks like when connected. Is it normal for 2 of the same phone to show up?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #24
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Still having issues. CarPlay is still intermittent. This is what it looks like when connected. Is it normal for 2 of the same phone to show up?
Our X7 also displays my iPhone twice. I think one is listed as a Bluetooth connection and the other as CarPlay connection.

As for your CarPlay issues, I think iDrive cannot properly distinguish more than one iPhone set up for CarPlay. I originally set up both my and my wife's iPhone for CarPlay but the system wouldn't connect my iPhone when I was the only one in the car. Once I deleted my wife's iPhone, CarPlay started working properly, at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #25
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

The one remaining issue for me is that my iPhone sometimes will not reconnect with the X7 when I get in and requires me to restart my iPhone. I'm wondering if this to may be an iPhone iOS issue that Apple will have to resolve. Think about it logically, iDrive is always looking to reconnect your iPhone but only if it can see the device. The iPhone may not be broadcasting it's presents via Bluetooth or WiFi after a period of time. Of course this is all guesswork on my part but we now know it was Apple's release of iOS 12.2 that resolved the Apple Pay popup issue when placing our iPhone on the charger, at least for the X7. It may take another iOS update to resolve the reconnection issue when getting into the X7. Check out the Audi forum for the Q8, they're have many of the same issues with wireless CarPlay so to me this points to many if not all of these issues being on Apple.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I'm wondering if this to may be an iPhone iOS issue that Apple will have to resolve. ..... Check out the Audi forum for the Q8, they're have many of the same issues with wireless CarPlay so to me this points to many if not all of these issues being on Apple.
The counter example to the above theory is that wireless CarPlay works flawlessly with X3 + iDrive 6. Connects in seconds, and never fail to connect under any circumstances. This points more to iDrive 7 implementation rather than Apple iOS.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #27
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
I'm wondering if this to may be an iPhone iOS issue that Apple will have to resolve. ..... Check out the Audi forum for the Q8, they're have many of the same issues with wireless CarPlay so to me this points to many if not all of these issues being on Apple.
The counter example to the above theory is that wireless CarPlay works flawlessly with X3 + iDrive 6. Connects in seconds, and never fail to connect under any circumstances. This points more to iDrive 7 implementation rather than Apple iOS.
Good point however, restarting my iPhone allows it to reconnect to iDrive 7 every time. So it could still be an iOS issue. Doesn't happen often (for me) but occasionally a restart is needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

CarPlay is a disaster with the X7 and the iPhone X. In the week I’ve owned them car what was a minor annoyance has now become 75% of the time I get in the car CarPlay/Bluetooth doesn’t connect or it connects for a few minutes and then disconnects. Any word on a fix?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #29
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
CarPlay is a disaster with the X7 and the iPhone X. In the week I've owned them car what was a minor annoyance has now become 75% of the time I get in the car CarPlay/Bluetooth doesn't connect or it connects for a few minutes and then disconnects. Any word on a fix?
I bought a X7 (2 months ago) and use an Apple XS Max and it's never disconnected once. It doesn't always reconnect when getting into the car but I found a work-around, open Settings and turn WiFi off and back on to reconnect CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #30
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I bought a X7 (2 months ago) and use an Apple XS Max and it's never disconnected once. It doesn't always reconnect when getting into the car but I found a work-around, open Settings and turn WiFi off and back on to reconnect CarPlay.
Yeah, I'm going through the same thing, but today we were using CarPlay and Google Maps to navigate somewhere foreign and at exactly the wrong time CarPlay disconnected and we didn't know where to turn. In this day and age, what, 20 years into Bluetooth car technology, that BMW can't get this right, they've been having these kinds of hiccups with every iDrive release, it's just inexcusable.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #31
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going through the same thing, but today we were using CarPlay and Google Maps to navigate somewhere foreign and at exactly the wrong time CarPlay disconnected and we didn't know where to turn. In this day and age, what, 20 years into Bluetooth car technology, that BMW can't get this right, they've been having these kinds of hiccups with every iDrive release, it's just inexcusable.
Your personal info (to the left) says you drive an X5 but the post above mentions the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #32
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Your personal info (to the left) says you drive an X5 but the post above mentions the X7.
I returned the 2016 X5 (lease expired) and took delivery of a 2019 X7 last week.

I like the car but am extremely frustrated with its connection issues.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #33
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Todd, I find it interesting that you are losing your connection during use of CarPlay. I haven't yet experienced that issue and I don't recall any other owners posting that issue for the X7. I think X5 owners are experiencing that and other issues.

Do you keep your iPhone X in your pocket while driving or put it on the charging pad?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #34
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Todd, I find it interesting that you are losing your connection during use of CarPlay. I haven't yet experienced that issue and I don't recall any other owners posting that issue for the X7. I think X5 owners are experiencing that and other issues.

Do you keep your iPhone X in your pocket while driving or put it on the charging pad?
It’s an issue for more than just him. And it’s exacerbated by poor training of support (geniuses on the phone or at the dealer). They are minimally competent and equipped to help.

Only solution, if you can’t resolve on your own, is to take it in for service and don’t pick it up til it’s fixed
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
It’s an issue for more than just him. And it’s exacerbated by poor training of support (geniuses on the phone or at the dealer). They are minimally competent and equipped to help.

Only solution, if you can’t resolve on your own, is to take it in for service and don’t pick it up til it’s fixed
Which issue are you referring to? Reconnect between uses or CarPlay disconnecting while in use?

Separate issues that may both be iPhone related. I say that because restarting my iPhone always allows it to reconnect so logically one could assume the iPhone may be the culprit. After all, the Apple Pay pop up issue disappeared (for almost everyone) after the release of iOS 12.2 so BMW may be working with Apple to resolve the reconnect (and disconnect) issues in an upcoming iOS release. If it were a coding issue in iDrive 7, I would think BMW would have released an update by now. Big companies move slowly but BMW has more to lose if this is in fact something they can resolve. Apple on the other hand has bigger fish to fry and would likely take a more relaxed approached to fixing it.

For any X7 owners experiencing CarPlay disconnect issues 'during' use, please post your experience so we can track what all is actually happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #36
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I am a power iPhone user, I am running the latest iOS and I am on an iPhone X and yes I am using the charging pad. I’ve tried all the tricks like deleting the device in iDrive settings, hard rebooting my phone, rebooting iDrive, all of it. What’s curious is in that the 8 days I have owned the X7 the performance is degrading, it’s getting worse and less consistent over time. The first two days I had no issue at all jumping in and out of the car making several pitstops. But as the days have gone on connectivity has gone from 100% down to only 20% of the time and it now disconnects randomly during a trip. I have two other BMWs running various versions of iDrive with the same phone running CarPlay and I’ve had no issues whatsoever. So if this is an iOS 12.2 issue it is related to iDrive 7 as this is not happening on the other versions of CarPlay in my other vehicles.

What phone are you using and what iOS version are you using? Are you using CarPlay or just BMW NAV + Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #37
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post

Is it a fact that it does get fixed by BMW? I have no problem with being persistent with the service department and getting this corrected but I am not sure that this is something BMW can correct. Is it a hardware issue? Do they need to reinstall iDrive from scratch? What is it that BMW needs to fix - have you read any success stories with the X7 or X5?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #38
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am a power iPhone user, I am running the latest iOS and I am on an iPhone X and yes I am using the charging pad. I've tried all the tricks like deleting the device in iDrive settings, hard rebooting my phone, rebooting iDrive, all of it. What's curious is in that the 8 days I have owned the X7 the performance is degrading, it's getting worse and less consistent over time. The first two days I had no issue at all jumping in and out of the car making several pitstops. But as the days have gone on connectivity has gone from 100% down to only 20% of the time and it now disconnects randomly during a trip. I have two other BMWs running various versions of iDrive with the same phone running CarPlay and I've had no issues whatsoever. So if this is an iOS 12.2 issue it is related to iDrive 7 as this is not happening on the other versions of CarPlay in my other vehicles.

What phone are you using and what iOS version are you using? Are you using CarPlay or just BMW NAV + Bluetooth?
I use an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.2 and have not experienced a disconnect from CarPlay, only occasional reconnect issues where restarting my iPhone always resolves it. In my mind the issue is a WiFi related problem within the phone itself but I could be completely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I use an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.2 and have not experienced a disconnect from CarPlay, only occasional reconnect issues where restarting my iPhone always resolves it. In my mind the issue is a WiFi related problem within the phone itself but I could be completely wrong.
Thanks LJ. My pain points are:

70% of the time the X7 won't connect to CarPlay at all upon starting the car (requires a toggle into/out of Airplane Mode to get it working again, often multiple toggles).

50% of the time the X7 disconnects CarPlay while I'm in Google Maps, can be at any time during the duration of the trip (20 minutes distance for me to date).

For the first 6 days it was only my iPhone X paired to the X7. For the past 2 days I also paired my wife's iPhone X to the X7 and the same behavior is happening on her phone as well.

Also, if the functionality for his and hers keyfobs is supposed to be immediate connection to my fob (when I enter the car and her phone is not around) and immediate connection to her fob (when she enters the car and my phone is not around) that's not happening either, it's like we have to go into iDrive settings and tap the one of the two iPhones we want to pair for that ride. Is that the normal behavior? I thought the keyfob's were supposed to allow that functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #40
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks LJ. My pain points are:

70% of the time the X7 won't connect to CarPlay at all upon starting the car (requires a toggle into/out of Airplane Mode to get it working again, often multiple toggles).

50% of the time the X7 disconnects CarPlay while I'm in Google Maps, can be at any time during the duration of the trip (20 minutes distance for me to date).

For the first 6 days it was only my iPhone X paired to the X7. For the past 2 days I also paired my wife's iPhone X to the X7 and the same behavior is happening on her phone as well.

Also, if the functionality for his and hers keyfobs is supposed to be immediate connection to my fob (when I enter the car and her phone is not around) and immediate connection to her fob (when she enters the car and my phone is not around) that's not happening either, it's like we have to go into iDrive settings and tap the one of the two iPhones we want to pair for that ride. Is that the normal behavior? I thought the keyfob's were supposed to allow that functionality.
I completely forgot about having two iPhones connected to iDrive. I think having both iPhones connected could be causing your connection issues. Initially I had both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone configured in iDrive and experienced some connection issues. After I deleted my wife's iPhone things started working. You may need to delete one of your devices as it appears iDrive doesn't handle multiple devices properly. It may be worth some testing to verify.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #41
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
CarPlay is a disaster with the X7 and the iPhone X. In the week I’ve owned them car what was a minor annoyance has now become 75% of the time I get in the car CarPlay/Bluetooth doesn’t connect or it connects for a few minutes and then disconnects. Any word on a fix?
Would always be worse like having being in Canada with and Android device.
      04-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #42
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I completely forgot about having two iPhones connected to iDrive. I think having both iPhones connected could be causing your connection issues. Initially I had both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone configured in iDrive and experienced some connection issues. After I deleted my wife's iPhone things started working. You may need to delete one of your devices as it appears iDrive doesn't handle multiple devices properly. It may be worth some testing to verify.
As I said, for the first 6 days my wife's iPhone was not paired to the car at all, and when she drove with me her Bluetooth and Wifi were turned off. It's not related to two iPhone's. I flew completely solo for the first 6 days of ownership.

Forgetting the CarPlay for a moment, what are your thoughts on dual-key setup....is the car supposed to recognize the iPhone each key is sync'd to?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #43
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As I said, for the first 6 days my wife's iPhone was not paired to the car at all, and when she drove with me her Bluetooth and Wifi were turned off. It's not related to two iPhone's. I flew completely solo for the first 6 days of ownership.

Forgetting the CarPlay for a moment, what are your thoughts on dual-key setup....is the car supposed to recognize the iPhone each key is sync'd to?

It's a good question but I can't really say because I only have my phone paired to the car at this point. But it would seem logical to associate a specific iPhone to a specific profile and when that profile is activated by the FOB at the driver's side of the car the system would automatically select the associated iPhone if more than one iPhone is in the vehicle.

I have one more thought about your specific issue. You mentioned that your phone has disconnected from the car several times while using Google maps. I do not use Google maps, I don't even have it loaded on my iPhone. I use Waze or the built-in BMW navigation system. So I'm wondering if Google maps running within CarPlay has something to do with the disconnect issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #44
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:

I’ve had a lot of trouble too. Now everything is much better. Here is what I did. Delete both phones from the X7 in both profiles. Delete the X7 on both iPhones. Both in Bluetooth setting and under CarPlay in General tab. Then turn off the iPhone not being paired to the 1st key FOB. While car is started push and hold the volume button in the car for 30 seconds to reboot the iDrive 7. Now go through the re-pairing process for the iPhone you will use with the 1st key fob. Now get the 1st key fob far away from the car and turn off the 1st iPhone. Then repeat the process for the 2nd fob and iPhone. No need to re-boot the car this time though. Then go to COM—Mobile Devices—Settings—Priority for Phones and set them as desired. Touch and move is the only way to move the priority order. Every now and then I have to go to CarPlay on my phone and turn it off then on when CarPlay doesn’t show up automatically like it’s supposed to.
Appreciate 2