forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Software Version

04-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #67
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

That's weird as I've mentioned before 12.2 solved it in our X5 with .55 software
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #68
Tonycwm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2018 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Just to be clear, when we took delivery of our X7, Apple Pay was popping up every time we placed our iPhone on the charger but after iOS 12.2 was released that issue was resolved. So that issue was on Apple in the X7. I can't explain why the same remains in the X5.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #69
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I called my BMW Genius to ask about updating the software in our X7 to 03/2019.35 and said that BMW would first need to know what issue I'm having before they will authorize the update. I said what? What does it matter? If they have a newer version available they should install it. But that is not how they're going about it. So I said the only remaining issue for me is that Apple CarPlay at times will not reconnect properly. The only option I've found is to reboot my iPhone and then it reconnects. His reply is that CarPlay issues do not qualify for the update because BMW feels that is an iPhone issue. Then he said if I insist on getting the update they could probably get it approved but recommended I wait as they get the feeling these updates are not fully tested and may create new issues. That's all I needed to hear so I said I'll wait.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #70
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I called my BMW Genius to ask about updating the software in our X7 to 03/2019.35 and said that BMW would first need to know what issue I'm having before they will authorize the update. I said what? What does it matter? If they have a newer version available they should install it. But that is not how they're going about it. So I said the only remaining issue for me is that Apple CarPlay at times will not reconnect properly. The only option I've found is to reboot my iPhone and then it reconnects. His reply is that CarPlay issues do not qualify for the update because BMW feels that is an iPhone issue. Then he said if I insist on getting the update they could probably get it approved but recommended I wait as they get the feeling these updates are not fully tested and may create new issues. That's all I needed to hear so I said I'll wait.
Some companies do operate this way, and it does seem like some BMW service departments do as well. He's not wrong, in that there are three sides to software updates with any product. (1) They usually fix bugs and sometimes make systems work better. (2) They sometimes enable new capability features. And (3) sometimes they occasionally and unintentionally introduce new bugs.

The question often comes down to whether you think you'll get enough benefit from issues #1 and 2, to risk issue #3. For well established systems and/or well vetted software updates (i.e. Apple iPhones) it's usually safe enough doing the updates. Yes, you occasionally still get new bugs, but generally end up for the better. BMW is swamped trying to identify and fix things they're finding in the new X5 and X7. Software and updates aren't vetted as thoroughly. You might not want to do an update if you're not experiencing a problem it fixes. The potential benefit might not outweigh the potential risk.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #71
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

After reading the long list of issues on the X5 forum regarding software updates, I'm staying put until BMW releases a well tested, certified OTA update to everyone. It appears some of the updates being installing by the dealers are not being fully tested and may even introduce new bugs. The iDrive 7 software is much complex than we realize (just check out the list of copyrights) so they need to thoroughly test any new software updates before releasing them to us. And on a good note, so far X7 owners are reporting far less problems than X5 owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #72
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Okay. I just got back my X7 which I turned in for the Software update. I am on 03/2019.36.

Is there anyone on the same or higher. I have not checked what has changed in it but going to check and report here.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #73
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Okay. I just got back my X7 which I turned in for the Software update. I am on 03/2019.36.

Is there anyone on the same or higher. I have not checked what has changed in it but going to check and report here.
Having dealt with software issues on the x5 for going on 5 months, I strongly advise patience. The vehicle updates to whatever they push out just fine. The issue is that the development team just straight up sucks. There is no question about it.

So whatever headaches exist just accept you’ll need to live with them. In time they’ll sort all this out
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #74
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Having dealt with software issues on the x5 for going on 5 months, I strongly advise patience. The vehicle updates to whatever they push out just fine. The issue is that the development team just straight up sucks. There is no question about it.

So whatever headaches exist just accept you’ll need to live with them. In time they’ll sort all this out
Yes, I totally agree and that pretty much sums up all that Software updates nightmare.

I guess these Gas-engine-based automakers are first time handling with the software that talks back with the engine and the other tech areas; something Tesla is way far ahead of them and knows how to deal with OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #75
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

The software and connectivity is nothing less than garbage to be brutally honest. Bluetooth and CarPlay connectivity, remote functionality (climatize, send address), vehicle asking to log into connected drive EVERY time we get in our x5... etc

These are bush league issues but both 5 and 7 awesome enough to overlook.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #76
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

I've checked for updates via the iDrive and phone app and both said no update was available.

I have had the dash freeze up on me a few times where the BC button won't cycle through items in the tach display area.

When I took it in Monday to have a the display key replaced (kept rebooting) I asked if there were any other recommended items showing for the X7. I was told it was recommending a software update.

The update is out there, just not OTA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #77
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

I just hate BMW about one promise that they never fulfilled; The OTA Software update.

I'm just impressed (and jealous) how Telas are nicely OTA integrated. And it just works way differently for them; Elon says "XYZ feature/update is coming in the next OTA Update!" and boom its just there!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #78
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
I've checked for updates via the iDrive and phone app and both said no update was available.

I have had the dash freeze up on me a few times where the BC button won't cycle through items in the tach display area.

When I took it in Monday to have a the display key replaced (kept rebooting) I asked if there were any other recommended items showing for the X7. I was told it was recommending a software update.

The update is out there, just not OTA.
So whats new in .45 update?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #79
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

I haven't had much time in the seat since I got it back, but first thing I noticed was the mileage. It shows the total mileage, including the 10th. There are some subtle graphic changes, like seeing the grill of the B&W speaker as the background in the sound settings.

I've got a little road trip coming up this weekend and will play around and see what I notice.

There have been several times when my car has had an update and when I get back in I notice something looks "different" but have a hard time pinning it down. Other times it has been obvious.

Oh, and CarPlay...it was working before the update and worked this morning. Then stopped working after I dropped my boys off at school.

After....and after iOS 12.3 update... had to call the Genius to help me pair the phone (which I haven't done before). I deleted the phone and car from each other, repaired them and it still wasn't working.

I'm thinking that Murphy's Law was a factor. The Genius had me do what I had been doing before my call to pair it and it worked. And it even stayed paired on my drive to pick up the twins from school.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #80
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
I just hate BMW about one promise that they never fulfilled; The OTA Software update.

I'm just impressed (and jealous) how Telas are nicely OTA integrated. And it just works way differently for them; Elon says "XYZ feature/update is coming in the next OTA Update!" and boom its just there!

Just putting in my experience with Tesla OTA updates. Yes, they are great they are OTA. We had two Teslas (S and X) until I sold my X for this X7 Because you get an update that worked great, but would then break something else. Tesla does well with OTA, but not everyone gets them at the same time, and you never know when you will get them. But the problems with my X extremely outweighed that feature. Just to give you one example; the only type of cruise control on a Tesla is Adaptive. So if the camera is dirty at all or if there is heavy rain or snow CC doesn't work at all. And even if it was a sunny day my car would just slow down all the sudden. No cars, nothing in front of me. I'm giving that example because I use that feature all the time. It worked great in my Jeep GC. There are going to be issues with any car, but OTA updates certainly didn't make all those issues any better. Unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #81
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

Quote:

I doubt any large scale manufacturer will release a software patch to all their customers at the same time unless it is extremely important.

Can you imagine releasing a patch that will break a car to all the cars in that series? Can you imagine all X7s being grounded at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #82
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallieX5 View Post
I doubt any large scale manufacturer will release a software patch to all their customers at the same time unless it is extremely important.

Can you imagine releasing a patch that will break a car to all the cars in that series? Can you imagine all X7s being grounded at the same time?
I agree but that is why OTA updates are extensively tested before the release. However, you have to release the OTA update at some point even after aggressive testing. This why OTA infrastructure is built and already implemented by BMW. They must have calculated all those risks involved in the process before offering this feature.

I can't debate too much over this but all I am saying is that BMW should start OTAs sooner if they release software updates.

They must have already put up an algorithm of checks/risks in place for the physical dealer carried updates as well. If the software they release is the same version, it shouldn't matter if its implemented over the air or physical delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #83
Boxysdad
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 40

IDrive update

Was in BMW this morning with the usual idrive gitches eg carplay, heads up display issues, remote camera connection problem. Was finally told there is a recall on X7s for a PCM software fix. Finally! (I hope).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #84
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What heads up display and remote camera connection problems are you having?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #85
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
What heads up display and remote camera connection problems are you having?
Same question, I haven't had any issues with either.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #86
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

Does anyone know if they actually load the latest update with each new delivery? Or do they all come out with the same old version, and only update whenever someone reports and issue?

I had the same BC, comfort access, and heads up display issues with my 2019 X5 but it was resolved with the latest update. This was about two weeks ago. I should have noted the version they updated to.. Will give me something to compare with when I receive the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #87
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc View Post
Does anyone know if they actually load the latest update with each new delivery? Or do they all come out with the same old version, and only update whenever someone reports and issue?

I had the same BC, comfort access, and heads up display issues with my 2019 X5 but it was resolved with the latest update. This was about two weeks ago. I should have noted the version they updated to.. Will give me something to compare with when I receive the X7.
I believe my dealer does. They update all the software and code the options.
      05-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #88
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

News story yesterday. OTA software updates enabled for iDrive 7.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618723

This seems to apply as well:

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.de/ap...oftwareUpgrade
Appreciate 0