BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Quirks and Irks

05-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #45
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Except it's not the good ole days anymore and technology, especially with voice control has moved on past 2007.

If you think finding and pushing a button is easier than saying "BMW sync climate", then go for it
I’m more technically savvy than anyone else in this forum, believe me. While I use Siri all the time on my iPhone (I’m dictating this post) and with my HomePod speaker I find it awkward to use voice commands in front of my family in my car. I don’t want them to hear me ask for a song that they might not want to hear and put up an argument, and often they are all talking and their voices interrupt or confuse the system’s ability to hear properly.

Not to mention, there are so many things that have to be configured or tweaked every time I set off for a drive it would be like reading a novel aloud just to get out of the driveway. Auto start/stop to off. Launch CarPlay. Bring up radio presets. Tune to radio station. Set temperature. Sync temperature. Adjust red/blue temperature wheel. Set driving mode. Set destination. Imagine speaking all that and waiting for the voice confirmations. It’s easier to just quietly hit a few buttons, trust me.

In regards to syncing the temperature specifically, that becomes quite controversial as I have one child that likes it very hot and another child that likes it very cold and I am the one picking an average so that the two of them don’t complain. So announcing that I am syncing the temperature would cause World War III in the second row and I don’t need that. I just hit a button, problem solved.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
stein_325i25051.00
      05-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #46
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickytan3 View Post
My 2nd row behind driver side stopped adjusting forward or backwards.

I get the seat not locked warning, how do I lock the seat? Its driving me nuts and the dealer can't figure it out eitiher. Have to wait 1 week for an appointment.

BTW this is a brand new just driven off the lot issue
I don't know if this will help, the last thing my genius told me was that if the seats ever misbehave or get out of whack was to press a button on the side of the seat near the other controls. She said it "resets the seat". I don't know if you needed to hold it or not and frankly have no idea if this will help, but you can try.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #47
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

If you have the bench seat make sure the middle armrest mechanism is locked up into place. The whole part must be up and locked. You can have the actual armrest down though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #48
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I do hope BMW improves the seat mechanisms and controls for MY2020 and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #49
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I’m more technically savvy than anyone else in this forum, believe me. While I use Siri all the time on my iPhone (I’m dictating this post) and with my HomePod speaker I find it awkward to use voice commands in front of my family in my car. I don’t want them to hear me ask for a song that they might not want to hear and put up an argument, and often they are all talking and their voices interrupt or confuse the system’s ability to hear properly.

Not to mention, there are so many things that have to be configured or tweaked every time I set off for a drive it would be like reading a novel aloud just to get out of the driveway. Auto start/stop to off. Launch CarPlay. Bring up radio presets. Tune to radio station. Set temperature. Sync temperature. Adjust red/blue temperature wheel. Set driving mode. Set destination. Imagine speaking all that and waiting for the voice confirmations. It’s easier to just quietly hit a few buttons, trust me.

In regards to syncing the temperature specifically, that becomes quite controversial as I have one child that likes it very hot and another child that likes it very cold and I am the one picking an average so that the two of them don’t complain. So announcing that I am syncing the temperature would cause World War III in the second row and I don’t need that. I just hit a button, problem solved.
Being you sounds very complicated. Like I said, go for it
      05-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #50
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
Quote:

I get the seat not locked warning, how do I lock the seat? Its driving me nuts and the dealer can't figure it out eitiher. Have to wait 1 week for an appointment.

Quote:

Hi there:
I had the same thing happen to me, second row bench would not go forward or backwards. I played with the seats but nothing happened.
Conclusion: the third bench left seat was not locked in place and was blocking the second bench of moving.

So it is really a simple: driver seat not moving check second row, second row not moving check third row.

God Bless Technology!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #51
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
Hi there:
I had the same thing happen to me, second row bench would not go forward or backwards. I played with the seats but nothing happened.
Conclusion: the third bench left seat was not locked in place and was blocking the second bench of moving.

So it is really a simple: driver seat not moving check second row, second row not moving check third row.

God Bless Technology!
There is a child lock button on the drivers door that locks out the rear windows and the second row bench from being moving. If you see a green LED, it's enabled and the rear windows and 2nd row seat cannot be moved.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #52
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
There is a child lock button on the drivers door that locks out the rear windows and the second row bench from being moving. If you see a green LED, it's enabled and the rear windows and 2nd row seat cannot be moved.
Anything they can reach is disabled. Windows, window shades, sun roof shade, seat controls, climate control.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      05-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #53
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Anything they can reach is disabled. Windows, window shades, sun roof shade, seat controls, climate control.

I figured this out on my own yesterday after a week of being completely perplexed as to why I couldn't get my captain's chairs to respond to controls. "Hey check out this awesome feature" I told my friend seeing my X7 for the first time, "I just hit this button and...." and nothing happened. I watched YouTube videos, read the manual, couldn't figure it out.

So I'm adding this to my X7 "why BMW why?" list. Why take something long-time BMW owners are comfortable with and change it without making it clear?

Why would a button on the window control panel with a friggin' illustration of a window on it also completely disable the power seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows? And where are the dealers and geniuses telling us these things? Why isn't there an illustration of a seat with an x on it, there's plenty of room on the button? Why doesn't the iDrive screen flash a message that says "to restore functionality to this feature disable the button with the window on it that you think just controls the windows"?

It's dumb stuff like this that's maddening. Like the lack of 3rd row air conditioning vents if you don't order a Winter Cold Weather Package. The people sweltering in Arizona are going to love that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #54
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Do a full cycle of the seat and that should fix it

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #55
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yeah, I ran into the "2nd row seats disabled by the child window lockout" issue the first time I encountered the X7. Took us a while to figure out what was going on. It's one of many complaints or annoyances I have with 2nd and 3rd row seating mechanisms.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #56
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yeah, I ran into the "2nd row seats disabled by the child window lockout" issue the first time I encountered the X7. Took us a while to figure out what was going on. It's one of many complaints or annoyances I have with 2nd and 3rd row seating mechanisms.
How did I know that button did all these things the first time I climbed in? My CA? The owner's manual? The Geniuses?

NOPE. WILD BLUE broke that news first.

Anyhow, you guys touch on some interesting things. Clearly Genius training is nonexistent. Documentation of functionality and features is lacking, absolutely poor in some circumstances.

It just generally feels like there is a not a cohesive organizational infrastructure for teams communicating with one another and making sure all i's are dotted, and all t's crossed

Having said all that.... my vehicle is perfect, knock on wood. No issues whatsoever except for some weird car play stuff but I don't care about that.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #57
rickytan3
Registered
Rep
Drives: f15 x6

My issue isn't the child lock issue, we can do everything BUT move the seat forward and backward. Blinds can go up tilt any direction.

The warning on dash is seat is unlocked. We brought to bmw and they where confused as well...

The initial issue was it would move forward and backward like something was jammed.. then it stopped moving completely..

Theres no way to manual move the 3rd row seat.

Appointment for full fix is Tuesday will post results in this thread
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      05-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #58
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

No hands-free tailgate

So I looked like an idiot trying to get the tailgate to open on our X7 by swinging my leg underneath while holding bags of groceries in both hands. This happened right after we picked up the car and I just assumed that a car at this price point should have this feature as standard (like the Volvo XC90 that we have). Was disappointed to learn later that X7 doesn’t have this. Oh well, I guess I just have to forgo grocery shopping!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #59
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_whereman View Post
So I looked like an idiot trying to get the tailgate to open on our X7 by swinging my leg underneath while holding bags of groceries in both hands. This happened right after we picked up the car and I just assumed that a car at this price point should have this feature as standard (like the Volvo XC90 that we have). Was disappointed to learn later that X7 doesn’t have this. Oh well, I guess I just have to forgo grocery shopping!
Mine has it
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #60
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

Mine has it too as does my wife's 540. Part of the Comfort Access package.

Do you have the trailer hitch? Someone posted that you loose the feature with the hitch.

What I've found is if the key is "too close" to the rear of the vehicle, it won't open. This usually happens when the key is in my left pocket and I use my left leg ( or right and right). If I use the opposite leg it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #61
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Mine has it. Works sometimes, sometimes not.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #62
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Mine has it
Is yours a 50i? Ours is a 40i and I can’t find reference to this feature in our Owner’s Manual. We got all of the packages except for the OffRoad and Cold Weather.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #63
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
Mine has it too as does my wife's 540. Part of the Comfort Access package.

Do you have the trailer hitch? Someone posted that you loose the feature with the hitch.

What I've found is if the key is "too close" to the rear of the vehicle, it won't open. This usually happens when the key is in my left pocket and I use my left leg ( or right and right). If I use the opposite leg it works.

This must be it. We have a trailer hitch (but so does our Volvo)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #64
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Mine has it
Is yours a 50i? Ours is a 40i and I can’t find reference to this feature in our Owner’s Manual. We got all of the packages except for the OffRoad and Cold Weather.
40i. Where and how you kick is key
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sam1230.00
      05-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #65
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
50i with Comfort Access. Maybe it’s part of that package?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #66
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

So that will be an issue. No one pointed out that you lose the feature when you add the trailer hitch. I don't see it listed as a caveat on the configuration either.