BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carly for BMW

05-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Carly for BMW

I have been reviewing the differences between Carly and BimmerCode for a few days and several reviewers recommend Carly as the best most complete app for iOS (iPhone) usage. If you own a X7 and have used Carly on your X7, please post what you were actually able to code.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I'm also considering BimmerLink but I read a few reviews that recommended Carly over BimmerLink. Anyone on here with an X7 who's tried BimmerLink?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I'm also considering BimmerLink but I read a few reviews that recommended Carly over BimmerLink. Anyone on here with an X7 who's tried BimmerLink?
Don't have my X7 yet, but BimmerCode works great for my 3-Series.

I just hate that Carly locks you into their ODB2 dongle.
      05-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Found this review:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elm327s...y-bmw-app/amp/
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

can you guys educate the uniformed (me) about what you can do with this kind of thing? set eco to off, change the exhaust note, what else?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
can you guys educate the uniformed (me) about what you can do with this kind of thing? set eco to off, change the exhaust note, what else?
I found this on the web for Carly:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...t-is-possible/
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

After reading several reviews I decided to go with Carly for BMW.

https://www.mycarly.com/en/app/bmw/

I ordered the Carly adapter from Amazon ($82.90) and paid for the first year annual subscription ($59.99) for the full version of the software through my iPhone.

I'll post my experiences using Carly with our X7 in a few days.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      05-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Great, man, very curious how that works out for you, and what options you have available to code. Indication are so far, that options are extremely limited. But might still be worth all of it, just to disable ASS.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

Does Carly have the ability to code Engine Start-Stop memory?

Here are the options on the web site:

Engine Start Stop
Start/Stop notification in dashboard
• on
• off
When the engine start/stop function is available the start/stop symbol in the dashboard appears. This function has only an effect if the dashboard is equipped with a start/stop symbol. (codable in KOMBI)
Start in Eco / Eco Pro mode
• on
• off
When turning on the car, the ‘Eco / Eco Pro’ driving mode is automatically activated. Unfortunately, there is no possibility to automatically start the car in ‘Sport’ or ‘Sport+’ mode. (codable in ICM)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Engine Auto Start-Stop Memory and Removing Speedometer "correction" where the speedometer is off by about 5% are the two things that are driving me nuts about the X7. Carly says it can't code Speedometer for US cars. "This coding does not work on US models."

Speedometer
Digital speedometer
• on
• off
The current speed is shown in the digital display below the speedometer. (codable in KOMBI)
Correction’ speedometer
• ‘corrected’ speed
• true speed
This coding does not work on US models. Per default the speed shown in the speedometer is ‘corrected’ by the car. This has the effect that the shown speed is a bit higher than the true speed of the car. (codable in KOMBI)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

The adapter should be here tomorrow so I'll know for certain what coding options are available and post some screen shots. ASS is most important to me for starters but there may be others that catch my eye. In out Mercedes GLS you had to buy and install an OBD plug ($129) to disable ASS. But that's all it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After reading several reviews I decided to go with Carly for BMW.

https://www.mycarly.com/en/app/bmw/

I ordered the Carly adapter from Amazon ($82.90) and paid for the first year annual subscription ($59.99) for the full version of the software through my iPhone.

I'll post my experiences using Carly with our X7 in a few days.

Does Carly require a $60 subscription payment every year?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Yes, the full unlocked version of the app is annually renewable for $59.99. It will automatically renew unless you instruct Apple to discontinue the renewal. I doubt I'll renew each year and only use the Lite version after the first year, after I've made all coding changes. If I need to view diagnostics or any other reason, I can renew for another year at any time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I have been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks since I saw the X7 at a dealership not too long ago and I am considering going for a 2020 model. So I am interested in learning more about the X7 in the G07 forum. But I am not new to coding BMWs myself so here is my $ .02 on this topic to "pop my cherry" in this forum..... I don't own Carly, just BimmerCode, but I went through this decision process a while ago when I wanted another option than using my laptop for all of my coding....

If you want to code some of the most common features, like what was mentioned above, BimmerCode is the more cost effective option as both Carly and BimmerLink should be able to do them. However, if you want to code more advanced functions, BimmerCode is the way to go. Using "Expert Mode" in BimmerCode gives you access to all of the available parameters inside the respective module. When last I checked, Carly is completely locked down.

Here is an example of advanced coding that I could do with BimmerCode - and can't be done with Carly. I retro-fitted my F80 M3 with an OEM touchscreen (which was not one of the built in coding options in BimmerCode). Using the Expert Mode in BimmerCode I could go into the applicable modules and code the necessary parameters to get my touchscreen working. I used the same coding technique to code "Easy Entry" (where the seat goes back when you enter the car) as well - again could not be done using Carly.

In a nutshell, I didn't see a reason to pay the higher software and hardware price for Carly, when it was not as versatile as BimmerCode IMHO - in particular if you want to code more advanced functions. Carly does allow you to do other non-coding functions (like register a new car battery or read diagnostic codes). But the maker of BimmerCode has a companion app, BimmerLink sold separately, which will allow you to do those things. Lastly, the developer of BimmerCode is very responsive, including adding new functionality to BimmerLink as BMW puts out new software updates for their vehicle line. I am sure there will be more options soon now that the new G05/G07 are out (as I assume they are both very similar) - and also the G20 (which probably share a lot of commonality with the G05/G07).

Both Carly and BimmerLink are capable and comparable. I think it will come down to personal preference as I don't think you can go too wrong with either (but I don't understand why the Carly hardware is so expensive though...).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

BimmerLink doesn't support coding changes, only BimmerCode can make coding changes. So one would actually need to buy both BimmerCode and BimmerLink to match the functionality of Carly. Carly has an entire company behind it with tech and lifetime support. And while BimmerCode is cheaper there is more to consider than just the initial cost. As for the X7, BimmerCode doesn't yet provide coding support specifically for the X7, it will in time. Carly has already released an update with X7 coding support.

I read several articles that concluded Carly is the best choice (for now) but no doubt BimmerCode owners are happy with their purchase. But they likely never used or even tried Carly so their experience is likely with BimmerCode only.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Yes, the full unlocked version of the app is annually renewable for $59.99. It will automatically renew unless you instruct Apple to discontinue the renewal. I doubt I'll renew each year and only use the Lite version after the first year, after I've made all coding changes. If I need to view diagnostics or any other reason, I can renew for another year at any time.
Got it. My worry is that if you ever have to take your car in to have anything adjusted they will most likely recode it back to factory for you and you'd have to re-subscribe to Carly just to re-code the things you already did.

I simply went with BimmerCode for ease of use as I can code with an ENET cable if needed.

Thank you for clarifying the added costs of Carly.
      05-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
BimmerLink doesn't support coding changes, only BimmerCode can make coding changes. So one would actually need to buy both BimmerCode and BimmerLink to match the functionality of Carly. Carly has an entire company behind it with tech and lifetime support. And while BimmerCode is cheaper there is more to consider than just the initial cost. As for the X7, BimmerCode doesn't yet provide coding support specifically for the X7, it will in time. Carly has already released an update with X7 coding support.

I read several articles that concluded Carly is the best choice (for now) but no doubt BimmerCode owners are happy with their purchase. But they likely never used or even tried Carly so their experience is likely with BimmerCode only.
I think which option is the best choice will be determined by the need/want of the individual using the software. IMHO, I think it ultimately comes down to how much control you want when coding your vehicle or performing any other type of vehicle interface functions like diagnostics, and then how much money you are willing to spend to do it.

Carly provides good functionality, with both coding and diagnostics, but with regards to coding, you are limited to what they allow you to code. And of course, Carly is the more expensive coding option, especially if you don't need/want the diagnostic features. They have been around a while and have a good reputation (and good marketing), but they have far from cornered the market on coding software tools for BMW. Also, admittedly, I am not a fan of prescription services like this - if I pay for a tool (hardware/software) I would like to pay for it once and have access to all functions all of the time.

BimmerCode does not include the diagnostic features (as you and I mentioned, a separate app, BimmerLink is required), but does include most of the coding functions as Carly (or will soon as the developer has been good with keeping up with BMW software updates) - coding updates from multiple coding platforms usually occur pretty close to each other so one coding company will not stay significantly ahead of another. The coding software development community is relatively small. But BimmerCode gives you the ability to code things Carly can't - as long as you know what you are doing. If not, BimmerCode will allow you to screw up stuff when using the "Expert Mode" so novice coders should use caution when using the advanced coding features of BimmerCode. BimmerCode has not been around as long as Carly, but has developed a very good reputation in the coding community for a well designed and supported product. And BimmerCode does provide support for the G07 according to their website, albeit limited as the platform is still new - but time should change that.

I have been coding for a while (just myself, not for profit), beginning with my E46 using early coding software on my laptop and moving up to E-SYS for the F-series cars (I also have several diagnostic tools for my BMWs as well, both on my laptop and smartphone) and I also have a tune on my F80 using a smartphone app interface (BM3). I like the control and flexibility coding with E-Sys/laptop provides. However, having a quick coding option with my iPhone was appealing for several reasons that I think we can all agree on. I almost bought the Carly platform "way back when", but did not like the lack of flexibility and relatively high price for what you got - and that was before they went to a prescription type service. BimmerCode gave me flexibility that was very close to what I got with my laptop/E-Sys which was important to me and my needs.

For those of you who are new to your X7 and/or coding, I recommend you download the two apps as I believe they both have "free" demo modes so you can get a feel for what they both offer before you buy. And if you want even more info on coding, browse through one of the other forums such as the F30 coding forums, or even better, the G20 coding forums as the G20 should be very close to the G07 in terms of functionality. At the end of the day, I think it is all about making an informed decision....

And one last thing for those of you new to coding, when you take your car to the dealer, if they update the car's software (also called I-Step) you will loose all of your custom coding and will need to re-code your car after you get it back. Also, while highly unlikely, if you code your car you could affect your warranty as you are technically changing the parameters of your car via an unauthorized means according to BMW. Now, I have never heard of this happening for as long as I have been on the forums and I have not personally had any issues with my car being updated by the dealer when it was previously coded, but technically, the risk is there.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 05-13-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
jokinawa293.00
Wild Blue3682.50
gmag73.00
      05-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I think which option is the best choice will be determined by the need/want of the individual using the software. IMHO, I think it ultimately comes down to how much control you want when coding your vehicle or performing any other type of vehicle interface functions like diagnostics, and then how much money you are willing to spend to do it.

Carly provides good functionality, with both coding and diagnostics, but with regards to coding, you are limited to what they allow you to code. And of course, Carly is the more expensive coding option, especially if you don't need/want the diagnostic features. They have been around a while and have a good reputation (and good marketing), but they have far from cornered the market on coding software tools for BMW. Also, admittedly, I am not a fan of prescription services like this - if I pay for a tool (hardware/software) I would like to pay for it once and have access to all functions all of the time.

BimmerCode does not include the diagnostic features (as you and I mentioned, a separate app, BimmerLink is required), but does include most of the coding functions as Carly (or will soon as the developer has been good with keeping up with BMW software updates) - coding updates from multiple coding platforms usually occur pretty close to each other so one coding company will not stay significantly ahead of another. The coding software development community is relatively small. But BimmerCode gives you the ability to code things Carly can't - as long as you know what you are doing. If not, BimmerCode will allow you to screw up stuff when using the "Expert Mode" so novice coders should use caution when using the advanced coding features of BimmerCode. BimmerCode has not been around as long as Carly, but has developed a very good reputation in the coding community for a well designed and supported product. And BimmerCode does provide support for the G07 according to their website, albeit limited as the platform is still new - but time should change that.

I have been coding for a while (just myself, not for profit), beginning with my E46 using early coding software on my laptop and moving up to E-SYS for the F-series cars (I also have several diagnostic tools for my BMWs as well, both on my laptop and smartphone) and I also have a tune on my F80 using a smartphone app interface (BM3). I like the control and flexibility coding with E-Sys/laptop provides. However, having a quick coding option with my iPhone was appealing for several reasons that I think we can all agree on. I almost bought the Carly platform "way back when", but did not like the lack of flexibility and relatively high price for what you got - and that was before they went to a prescription type service. BimmerCode gave me flexibility that was very close to what I got with my laptop/E-Sys which was important to me and my needs.

For those of you who are new to your X7 and/or coding, I recommend you download the two apps as I believe they both have "free" demo modes so you can get a feel for what they both offer before you buy. And if you want even more info on coding, browse through one of the other forums such as the F30 coding forums, or even better, the G20 coding forums as the G20 should be very close to the G07 in terms of functionality. At the end of the day, I think it is all about making an informed decision....

And one last thing for those of you new to coding, when you take your car to the dealer, if they update the car's software (also called I-Step) you will loose all of your custom coding and will need to re-code your car after you get it back. Also, while highly unlikely, if you code your car you could affect your warranty as you are technically changing the parameters of your car via an unauthorized means according to BMW. Now, I have never heard of this happening for as long as I have been on the forums and I have not personally had any issues with my car being updated by the dealer when it was previously coded, but technically, the risk is there.
Good post, thanks for your insight. I'll post my experience with Carly in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

great post there, jmciver
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #20
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I received the Carly adapter last evening and tried it out. I'm not impressed. First I was fighting with the app staying connected to the adapter via a WiFi connection. After lots of reconnections I realized that CarPlay was reconnecting to my iPhone by default so I disabled the Auto Connect setting in WiFi for CarPlay. But there was still an issue of their app losing a connection to the adapter. After a lot more trial and error I found that I needed to disable Bluetooth then the apps connection to the adapter was persistent. None of these steps was covered in the app or to found on any help page. Not a good start. Now came the moment of truth when I could finally view the functions that can be coded. Instead of 32 functions being available, only one function is currently available for coding and it had to do with the security alarm (big deal). None of the other 31 advertised functions was available. SO I emailed Carly for some answers. They replied as follows (copy and paste from the actual reply):

May 15, 09:56 CEST

Hi,

we are working on more codings for g models. Also the start stop. But the start stop need to be tested more intensiv than other codings, because for start stop you have to change things in the engine module, which wasn´t necessary for example f models.
-
Robert - Carly Expert Team

No mention of when they will finished testing. I replied back that I want a refund of my one year subscription. Apple will not automatically refund subscriptions so hopefully they will do the right thing and refund the $59.99 I paid for the subscription. If not, I'll be waiting for them to finish testing.

Bottom line, DO NOT BUY CARLY. In my view they are falsely advertising available X7 coding and are not yet ready to support the new G07 models.
Appreciate 2
jokinawa293.00
Gdwheel54.00
      05-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, yikes. Really? I can get past some setup, config, and operation stumbling blocks, but only 1 option for coding?

That's not worth production and sales.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #22
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep

The crap part is if you download the app and look at "Whats Possible" in coding it shows all sorts of options including auto-start-stop. They shouldn't display that if they can't do it yet.
Appreciate 0