BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Based on your X7 ownership....

05-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #23
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You'd be surprised... I've friends that get into Porsche's and are shocked at the cost of interval service. Owners with $80K X5 complain as to what's the lowest grade fuel they can fill up.

My 2017 X5 (w/out M Sport brakes) needed a front brake job at 21K.

You can pick up BMW Ultimate Care+ 3yr/36K for $600 that covers brakes, wipers etc thats not included in the standard Ultimate Care.
Our first M5 had 37,000 miles when we traded for a new one, and we never had to replace the brakes.
Keep us posted in 37K if your X7 needs a brake job.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #24
BMWFan2
Rep
Drives: 18 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
1. Yes, but a bit reluctantly.

2. Cold Weather Package. It's awful that BMW didn't put AC vents in the 3rd Row and didn't tell anyone about it. When my kids throw things at me in anger I'm going to shake my head.

3. I went from a 2016 X5 to a 2019 X7 because the lease expired and we're a family of 6 and BMW stopped making X5's with the 3rd Row. But the X7 is a seriously large car and it's unwieldy. It accelerates like a BMW, it's luxurious like a BMW, but it does not handle like a BMW - which is to be expected of such a large vehicle. I can't blame the X7 because I've never owned such a large SUV and am surprised by its size. I really like so much about the X7 but if I'm being honest with myself I would have been happier to be in the new X5 with the 3rd Row.
Thanks for responding to my post. I must say that's quite the indictment being that you are a family of 6 but rather be in the new X5 with third row bench over the spacious X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #25
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan2 View Post
Thanks for responding to my post. I must say that's quite the indictment being that you are a family of 6 but rather be in the new X5 with third row bench over the spacious X7.
I say that selfishly as a driver who has the same amount of room in both vehicles.

If I were one of my kids I would be ecstatic with the X7 and would never want to revert to the X5. But because I am the driver and I value sedan-like handling and BMW-like maneuverability, the X7 is a behemoth. It’s gorgeous, I get stares all the time, I’ve yet to see another X7 on the road, but I wish it wasn’t so floaty.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I say that selfishly as a driver who has the same amount of room in both vehicles.

If I were one of my kids I would be ecstatic with the X7 and would never want to revert to the X5. But because I am the driver and I value sedan-like handling and BMW-like maneuverability, the X7 is a behemoth. It’s gorgeous, I get stares all the time, I’ve yet to see another X7 on the road, but I wish it wasn’t so floaty.
I think it’s best to consider if it’s best in class handling. That’s the BMW hallmark, historically.

It won’t drive like something smaller. Bmw is good but they aren’t that good that they can entirely overcome physics . Not yet at least
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #27
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
I think it’s best to consider if it’s best in class handling. That’s the BMW hallmark, historically.

It won’t drive like something smaller. Bmw is good but they aren’t that good that they can entirely overcome physics . Not yet at least
absolutely - you have to compare the handling of the X7 with the GLS, Escalade, Navigator or any other BIG suv in this market. To compare a 3 ton car to a sedan would yield disappointing results every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #28
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post

Agreed. My only regret is that the X5 wasn't available with a 3rd row. For a very big SUV the X7 does an admirable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
absolutely - you have to compare the handling of the X7 with the GLS, Escalade, Navigator or any other BIG suv in this market. To compare a 3 ton car to a sedan would yield disappointing results every time.
My X5 was 2.5 tons and handled like a sedan. That's the disappointment. But lanes and garages are only so big and so as the cars get longer and taller without getting proportionally wider there's the rub. I'm getting used to it, I'm parking straight and true now, just a learning curve to a much larger SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #29
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed. My only regret is that the X5 wasn't available with a 3rd row. For a very big SUV the X7 does an admirable job.

My X5 was 2.5 tons and handled like a sedan. That's the disappointment. But lanes and garages are only so big and so as the cars get longer and taller without getting proportionally wider there's the rub. I'm getting used to it, I'm parking straight and true now, just a learning curve to a much larger SUV.
I am not trying to insult your knowledge of the vehicle, so please don’t read that way. But are you turning on the parking cameras when you park? I can park this baby on a dime with all the cameras. I’m a basket case when I drive a car without them these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #30
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am not trying to insult your knowledge of the vehicle, so please don’t read that way. But are you turning on the parking cameras when you park? I can park this baby on a dime with all the cameras. I’m a basket case when I drive a car without them these days.
I’m not talking about backing in or parallel parking, I’m talking about commonplace straight-in parking in a mall lot. Turning radius and long, visible nose are taking some getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #31
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m not talking about backing in or parallel parking, I’m talking about commonplace straight-in parking in a mall lot. Turning radius and long, visible nose are taking some getting used to.
I just hit the parking camera button (above the stop/start button) before I attempt to pull into a spot and the cameras activate, showing the lines from “overhead.” Shows me where I am in relation to the lines and the other cars. The active steering helps with the turning radius too. The visible nose continues to freak me out a little too though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #32
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
I just hit the parking camera button (above the stop/start button) before I attempt to pull into a spot and the cameras activate, showing the lines from “overhead.” Shows me where I am in relation to the lines and the other cars. The active steering helps with the turning radius too. The visible nose continues to freak me out a little too though.
I have a 530i loaner right now that does that automatically when you start to get close to another parked car or curb. It's very helpful. Does the X7 do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #33
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I have a 530i loaner right now that does that automatically when you start to get close to another parked car or curb. It's very helpful. Does the X7 do this?
Yes. But not until you’re within a few inches of an obstacle. You can turn it on manually to help when parking.
Appreciate 0