BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Mercedes GL/GLS to BMW X7

05-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Mercedes GL/GLS to BMW X7

Since many people considering the X7 seem to be current Mercedes GL/GLS owners, I wanted to post my thoughts on the comparisons for those considering this swap.

My two previous cars were a 2010 GL550 and a 2016 GL550, and I was the primary driver for two Mercedes before that (CLK550 and E63). I’ve been firmly in the MB camp for the last 15 years, so it took a lot for me to switch my alliances. When I heard a couple years ago that BMW was coming out with an SUV with 2nd row captains chairs, I instantly became interested. I’ve been full-on obsessed for several months and have thought of little else since they released the media pack in October (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much).

Background: my X7 is a 50i Luxury (mostly so I could have running boards), and I’ve had it for a little over two weeks. Mineral White with Navy/Ivory Individual interior. All options but B&W stereo and Off-Road. The points below are comparing a top of the line GL550 to a top of the line X7.

-Size: I don’t care what the measurements say. The X7 drives like a larger car than the GLS. It feels more like a truck. I feel like the X7 sits higher, and the hood seems more in my vision than my MBs did. This gets less of an issue the more I drive it, but it took some getting used to. The MB drives more like a car to me. I’ve heard some people who have never had a full-size SUV talk about it feeling big, but I am used to driving full-on large SUV’s, and it does feel big.

-Getting to the 3rd row is WAY easier than in the MB. Even with the comfort access package, the GL required some manual labor to get the 2nd row folded down. The X7’s process is slow, yes, but at least it’s easy. Even without folding down the 2nd row, my girls (7 and 9) easily walk between the seats, and even I can step over the seats to get to the 3rd row. This is a huge plus, and my biggest reason for wanting this car.

-My GL550 was fast for an SUV, but the X7 is better. On the highway, I never realize how fast I’m going. It accelerates like a much smaller car.

-The X7’s drive modes actually make a difference. The GL has 2 modes: Sport and Comfort. And there isn’t much difference. When I change the mode on the X7, I can instantly feel a difference. Especially in the steering.

-The technology in the X7 is so much more advanced than the MB. Granted, my last GL was 3 years old, but even our previous 2012 M5 had better tech than it did.

-The GLS holds about 26 gallons; the X7 holds around 21. This makes me fill up a lot more often than I’m used to.

-The rear storage — both with the 3rd row up and down — doesn’t seem as large as the MB. Close, but not quite. But the X7 does have the below-floor storage, so that helps. The lower tailgate is nice to keep things from falling out.

-The X7 driver’s seat belt isn’t adjustable for height. This matters when you’re short.

-The side bolsters aren’t as adjustable as the MB. This matters when you’re small.

-My last GL had the upgraded Designo interior, but it looked like Play Doh compared to the Individual interior on the X7. The attention to detail — stitching, etc — is reminiscent of a more expensive vehicle.

-The styling on the X7 is so much cooler than the MB, in my opinion. It just feels sportier and less like what your mom might drive. I literally cried when I saw mine for the first time (I am, alas, a girl). Every single day, someone — many times a stranger — approaches me to talk about how cool it is.

Bottom line, there are things I miss about my GL’s, but I’d make the same trade tomorrow without hesitation. The X7 is an amazing car — appearance, performance, and technology. These comparisons are moot, of course, when it comes to the new 2020 GLS....but for those who are in a GL/GLS now, I hope these thoughts are helpful.

Last edited by Missduvy; 05-22-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
jokinawa293.00
      05-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Thank you for sharing. This is very helpful. I spent a lot of time obsessing about the 2014 GL550 as a replacement for my 2011 x6 5.0 back in 2014 and spent a fair amount of time driving it. My experience doesn't come close to yours in terms of period of ownership but the one and only reason that I never got the GL550 was that it handled like a large boat that didn't want to be pushed or rushed. It had the opposite driving dynamics to what I got used to with an X6 (I know it's much smaller and nimbler). I recently test drove the x7 5.0 and was pleasantly surprised how much of a smaller car feel it had. So I agree with all of your observations except for this one. Unless MB made a huge improvement in how post 2014 GL550 handle.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Thank you for sharing. This is very helpful. I spent a lot of time obsessing about the 2014 GL550 as a replacement for my 2011 x6 5.0 back in 2014 and spent a fair amount of time driving it. My experience doesn't come close to yours in terms of period of ownership but the one and only reason that I never got the GL550 was that it handled like a large boat that didn't want to be pushed or rushed. It had the opposite driving dynamics to what I got used to with an X6 (I know it's much smaller and nimbler). I recently test drove the x7 5.0 and was pleasantly surprised how much of a smaller car feel it had. So I agree with all of your observations except for this one. Unless MB made a huge improvement in how post 2014 GL550 handle.
I feel like much of the “larger car” feel for me is my seating position in reference to the hood. The X7’s hood seems to come straight out and remains entirely in my field of vision — giving it a larger appearance as I drive. The GL’s hood seemed to be more angled down, so it disappeared more. I never felt that the GL handled “like a large boat that didn’t want to be pushed.” I felt it had great power and push, but the X7 feels more powerful for sure. And it definitely sounds more like a sporty car than the GL — it has a rumble to it that other SUVs are missing. When in Sport mode, the X7 tightens up and drives, well...sportier. In Comfort, it seems more boaty to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Thanks for the comparison. We are in the market for a large 3 row SUV and have narrowed it down to GLS and X7 as well.
We're holding off the purchase until the new GLS comes out at the end of the year. It should be comparable to the X7 as far as technology goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Thanks for the comparison. We are in the market for a large 3 row SUV and have narrowed it down to GLS and X7 as well.
We're holding off the purchase until the new GLS comes out at the end of the year. It should be comparable to the X7 as far as technology goes.
Good call. The new GLS will be a whole different ballgame than the previous models. The 2nd row captains chairs will open it up to a whole new audience that didn’t consider it before. I suspect the only differences between the X7 and GLS now will be just individual style preferences — which one you think looks best.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Since many people considering the X7 seem to be current Mercedes GL/GLS owners, I wanted to post my thoughts on the comparisons for those considering this swap.

My two previous cars were a 2010 GL550 and a 2016 GL550, and I was the primary driver for two Mercedes before that (CLK550 and E63). I’ve been firmly in the MB camp for the last 15 years, so it took a lot for me to switch my alliances. When I heard a couple years ago that BMW was coming out with an SUV with 2nd row captains chairs, I instantly became interested. I’ve been full-on obsessed for several months and have thought of little else since they released the media pack in October (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much).

Background: my X7 is a 50i Luxury (mostly so I could have running boards), and I’ve had it for a little over two weeks. Mineral White with Navy/Ivory Individual interior. All options but B&W stereo and Off-Road. The points below are comparing a top of the line GL550 to a top of the line X7.

-Size: I don’t care what the measurements say. The X7 drives like a larger car than the GLS. It feels more like a truck. I feel like the X7 sits higher, and the hood seems more in my vision than my MBs did. This gets less of an issue the more I drive it, but it took some getting used to. The MB drives more like a car to me. I’ve heard some people who have never had a full-size SUV talk about it feeling big, but I am used to driving full-on large SUV’s, and it does feel big.

-Getting to the 3rd row is WAY easier than in the MB. Even with the comfort access package, the GL required some manual labor to get the 2nd row folded down. The X7’s process is slow, yes, but at least it’s easy. Even without folding down the 2nd row, my girls (7 and 9) easily walk between the seats, and even I can step over the seats to get to the 3rd row. This is a huge plus, and my biggest reason for wanting this car.

-My GL550 was fast for an SUV, but the X7 is better. On the highway, I never realize how fast I’m going. It accelerates like a much smaller car.

-The X7’s drive modes actually make a difference. The GL has 2 modes: Sport and Comfort. And there isn’t much difference. When I change the mode on the X7, I can instantly feel a difference. Especially in the steering.

-The technology in the X7 is so much more advanced than the MB. Granted, my last GL was 3 years old, but even our previous 2012 M5 had better tech than it did.

-The GLS holds about 26 gallons; the X7 holds around 21. This makes me fill up a lot more often than I’m used to.

-The rear storage — both with the 3rd row up and down — doesn’t seem as large as the MB. Close, but not quite. But the X7 does have the below-floor storage, so that helps. The lower tailgate is nice to keep things from falling out.

-The X7 driver’s seat belt isn’t adjustable for height. This matters when you’re short.

-The side bolsters aren’t as adjustable as the MB. This matters when you’re small.

-My last GL had the upgraded Designo interior, but it looked like Play Doh compared to the Individual interior on the X7. The attention to detail — stitching, etc — is reminiscent of a more expensive vehicle.

-The styling on the X7 is so much cooler than the MB, in my opinion. It just feels sportier and less like what your mom might drive. I literally cried when I saw mine for the first time (I am, alas, a girl). Every single day, someone — many times a stranger — approaches me to talk about how cool it is.

Bottom line, there are things I miss about my GL’s, but I’d make the same trade tomorrow without hesitation. The X7 is an amazing car — appearance, performance, and technology. These comparisons are moot, of course, when it comes to the new 2020 GLS....but for those who are in a GL/GLS now, I hope these thoughts are helpful.
my two cents:

-Size: X7 drives smaller (is easier to place) because of squared off corners.

-Getting to the 3rd row: Moot now, cause new GLS has same mechanism as x7. So both vehicles are easy but slow. But if we are talking old GLS vs X7, my kids walk down the aisle with the captains seats. Doesn't get easier than that. Caveat: I've removed arm rests. As for it being slow, f'ing A people are so impatient. If my kids can wait, adults can too.

-GLS sport mode is uncomfortable compared to X7. I find the x7 ride as compliant on 22s as I did with GLS on 21s. Body roll very similar. Highway tracking and stability better in X7.

-Drive Modes: Old GLS and x7 are equally customizable as far as Comfort and Sport go: Shift, suspension, and steering.

-Tech: x7 feels like a decade newer design, which it basically is.

-The X7 driver’s seat belt: Odd, but seat can get the belt where it needs to be: On your bones.

-Interior: Night and day better, X7

Bottom line: Anyone that would prefer GLS old gen to x7 is out of their mind, unless it came at a significant discount. I've owned two GLSs previous gen. No comparison
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
my two cents:

-Getting to the 3rd row: Moot now, cause new GLS has same mechanism as x7. So both vehicles are easy but slow. But if we are talking old GLS vs X7, my kids walk down the aisle with the captains seats. Doesn't get easier than that. Caveat: I've removed arm rests. As for it being slow, f'ing A people are so impatient. If my kids can wait, adults can too.

-GLS sport mode is uncomfortable compared to X7. I find the x7 ride as compliant on 22s as I did with GLS on 21s. Body roll very similar. Highway tracking and stability better in X7.

-Drive Modes: Old GLS and x7 are equally customizable as far as Comfort and Sport go: Shift, suspension, and steering.

-The X7 driver’s seat belt: Odd, but seat can get the belt where it needs to be: On your bones.

Bottom line: Anyone that would prefer GLS old gen to x7 is out of their mind, unless it came at a significant discount. I've owned two GLSs previous gen. No comparison
I can’t imagine any would would prefer an old GL/GLS to a new X7. As I stated, this post was for people who currently have a GL/GLS and are wondering how the X7 compares. I have had several acquaintances who are current GLS owners ask me that question, so I thought others here might wonder as well.

I agree on most of your points. I seem to be in the minority (even in my own house), but the X7 still feels bigger to me.

As for the seat belt....it’s a big deal when it hits right smack in the middle of your neck, instead of down on your shoulder where it belongs. It’s developing a bruise! Even with my seat raised almost as high as it goes. Not the world’s biggest problem, but it seems odd that the 2nd row’s seat belt has adjustable height, but the driver’s doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I can’t imagine any would would prefer an old GL/GLS to a new X7. As I stated, this post was for people who currently have a GL/GLS and are wondering how the X7 compares. I have had several acquaintances who are current GLS owners ask me that question, so I thought others here might wonder as well.

I agree on most of your points. I seem to be in the minority (even in my own house), but the X7 still feels bigger to me.

As for the seat belt....it’s a big deal when it hits right smack in the middle of your neck, instead of down on your shoulder where it belongs. It’s developing a bruise! Even with my seat raised almost as high as it goes. Not the world’s biggest problem, but it seems odd that the 2nd row’s seat belt has adjustable height, but the driver’s doesn’t.
Belt thing is odd to me as well. Who knows
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
my two cents:

I agree with every point you make. I owned 3 GL/GLS's. Good solid truck but the X7 is far and away more refined. The new GLS will level the playing field but I'm not a fan of the new dash and grab handles which mimic the 2020 GLE exactly. The X7 interior is much more beautiful.
Appreciate 1
ppagiga660.00
      05-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Great feedback there, Missduvy . I think people will really appreciate your perspective.

Now that you own, are you glad you went with the Mineral White vs. Alpine White, or have any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Great feedback there, Missduvy . I think people will really appreciate your perspective.

Now that you own, are you glad you went with the Mineral White vs. Alpine White, or have any other thoughts?
Yes!! Our first M5 was Alpine White, and we both love the Mineral so much more. My last GL was “Diamond White Metallic” and the X7’s color is so much prettier. The MB looked creamy, almost ivory, when it sat next to my new one on our pickup day.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50