BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Blind spot detection in Heads Up Display

11-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Blind spot detection in Heads Up Display

Hello. I am considering a purchase of a 2023 X7 40i. I did a test drive at the local dealership this afternoon - certainly a nice vehicle. I have typically purchased the highest trim package of mid-priced vehicles in the past - like Buick Enclave's, GMC Acadia's and currently a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. This will be my first Luxury vehicle purchase.

One difference I noticed during the test drive is that my current Hyundai Palisade shows the blind spot detection in the Heads Up display, in addition to the side mirrors. I did not see the blind spot detection in the Heads Up display when I test drove the X7 today. When I asked the salesperson, he said it did not have that feature.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to enable/disable the display of the Blind Spot detection in the Heads Up Display? I really like this safety feature in my current vehicle and it would feel like two steps forward (with the feel of the drive), but one step package without this safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
Hello. I am considering a purchase of a 2023 X7 40i. I did a test drive at the local dealership this afternoon - certainly a nice vehicle. I have typically purchased the highest trim package of mid-priced vehicles in the past - like Buick Enclave's, GMC Acadia's and currently a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. This will be my first Luxury vehicle purchase.

One difference I noticed during the test drive is that my current Hyundai Palisade shows the blind spot detection in the Heads Up display, in addition to the side mirrors. I did not see the blind spot detection in the Heads Up display when I test drove the X7 today. When I asked the salesperson, he said it did not have that feature.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to enable/disable the display of the Blind Spot detection in the Heads Up Display? I really like this safety feature in my current vehicle and it would feel like two steps forward (with the feel of the drive), but one step package without this safety feature.
its not available in the HUD.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 11:14 PM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

No, bmws chosen notification strategy (across their lineup) is the indicator on the mirror and steering wheel vibration and wheel resistance if an attempt is made to move in the direction of the vehicle in the blind spot
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:26 AM   #4
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
No, bmws chosen notification strategy (across their lineup) is the indicator on the mirror and steering wheel vibration and wheel resistance if an attempt is made to move in the direction of the vehicle in the blind spot
xlover - thanks very much for letting me know about the steering wheel vibration. While I was proactively looking for vehicles in my blind spot during my test drive - I didn't have any "incidents" of trying to change lanes while someone was in my blind spot. So I didn't know about the steering wheel vibration safety feature. It would be great to have all three features - side mirror blind spot display, heads up blind spot display, AND steering wheel vibration. But at least I would have some notification via the steering wheel vibration if I somehow missed a vehicle in my blind spot and was about to change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #5
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:

I think Hyundai has a good idea there. Perhaps BMW will take note. I am guessing, but BMW probably uses Bosch electronics and Hyundai has their own.

Last edited by rjabend; 11-03-2022 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Quote:

I think Hyundai has a good idea there. Perhaps BMW will take note. I am guessing, but BMW probably uses Bosch electronics and Hyundai has there own.
It almost certainly has nothing to do with electronics and is much more likely just a chosen UX strategy based on their study of the most effective way to alert a driver while still following a "brand identity" for communicating between the vehicle and the driver. (Sound silly but it's a really thing)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
ENstig8or
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

I love all the technology in today's modern vehicles. That being said, I'm against any technology that encourages people not to maintain reasonable interaction with their cars. I would never change lanes without looking in my mirrors and if you're looking in your mirrors, the blind spot notification is right there. If you're looking at the HUD, your not looking in your mirrors. Technology and sensors can and do fail.
2008 535, 2007 X3
Appreciate 3
PNWM3542.50
      11-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
vegam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENstig8or View Post
I love all the technology in today's modern vehicles. That being said, I'm against any technology that encourages people not to maintain reasonable interaction with their cars. I would never change lanes without looking in my mirrors and if you're looking in your mirrors, the blind spot notification is right there. If you're looking at the HUD, your not looking in your mirrors. Technology and sensors can and do fail.
+1
I also look over my shoulder before changing lanes even if I have blind spot monitoring. The system helps me not change the lane when I see the small triangle in the mirror. And if I don't see it, then I always look over my shoulder for second opinion But I am kind of forced to maintain this habit because I don't have blind spot monitoring in my GT4 or any of the 911s/Caymans I have had before.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
LOL, I can't stand most of the car ads at TV that portray its OK to be a crappy driver, your cars tech will save you.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #10
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
I completely agree - all drivers should turn their heads, look over their shoulder and also look in their side mirrors, before changing lanes. And I completely agree technology can and does fail. None of use should change lanes by relying only on the blind spot monitor in a Heads Up Display or a side mirror.

Thinking some more about my use of this feature in my Palisade, I suppose where I most appreciate it is when I am driving along, minding my own business in my own lane, looking forward - and the orange car symbol for my blind spot monitor pops up in my heads up display. This lets me know another vehicle is approaching me from behind on my left or right. Its just additional information. They might be a knucklehead and now I know they're there - a few seconds before they show up in my peripheral vision. Even if my eyes are focused on the road ahead and not specifically focused on the heads up display, the orange car symbol in the heads up display catches my attention. Its a nice safety feature. In thinking about this feature some more, I suppose that is how & when I appreciate it the most - as opposed to when I am actually changing lanes. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:52 PM   #11
Sh0xT3R
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

I have a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy and just got a new 2023 M60i -- there are MANY things I miss about the Palisade when I'm driving the X7 -- and vice versa.

Unfortunately the BMW doesn't have this feature. It's crazy -- the Hyundai group's technology and features for the money is honestly in a league of its own. There are a number of things my $55k Palisade can do that my $130k M60i can't.

That being said, I bought the X7 for the performance luxury mix. It's certainly a nicer vehicle than the Calligraphy, albeit maybe not necessarily for the money difference.

TLDR: You'll adjust to what each car does better. I felt the exact same way coming from a Palisade -- pure happiness for what you get versus what you paid. But the X7 is special in its own way and truly is in a different league.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 02:11 AM   #12
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

I actually miss the way Audi does it, they have a fairly large light on the inside facing side of the mirror housing which lights up when someone is in your blind spot.
If you then still signal to move over into them or cross the lines, that same light has a strobe effect. This is surprisingly effective as a notification, especially since I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes.
      11-04-2022, 03:59 AM   #13
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperssd View Post
I actually miss the way Audi does it, they have a fairly large light on the inside facing side of the mirror housing which lights up when someone is in your blind spot.
If you then still signal to move over into them or cross the lines, that same light has a strobe effect. This is surprisingly effective as a notification, especially since I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes.
I swear the X7 does the same thing doesn't it… except on the mirror instead of inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 07:54 AM   #14
collector28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE  [0.00]
2022 Audi  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
The Audi's indicator is a lot larger so much more noticeable when it flashes. The X7 only has that little triangle in the corner of the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0xT3R View Post
I have a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy and just got a new 2023 M60i -- there are MANY things I miss about the Palisade when I'm driving the X7 -- and vice versa.

Unfortunately the BMW doesn't have this feature. It's crazy -- the Hyundai group's technology and features for the money is honestly in a league of its own. There are a number of things my $55k Palisade can do that my $130k M60i can't.

That being said, I bought the X7 for the performance luxury mix. It's certainly a nicer vehicle than the Calligraphy, albeit maybe not necessarily for the money difference.

TLDR: You'll adjust to what each car does better. I felt the exact same way coming from a Palisade -- pure happiness for what you get versus what you paid. But the X7 is special in its own way and truly is in a different league.
Sh0xT3R,
Thanks very much for sharing. Since you have been through my exact situation, I am curious... Would you say you are ultimately happy with your decision to switch from the Palisade to the X7? Like you said, the money difference may not completely make sense, but if I can afford it and wanted to buy myself a special gift, do you think I'll appreciate the upgrade and be happy with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #16
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperssd View Post
I swear the X7 does the same thing doesn't it… except on the mirror instead of inside.
X7 (and bmws full line) light on if car in blind spot, flash if more urgent.
Will also shake wheel and resist if attempt to move over into blind spot
Will resist really hard to the point of actually counter steering the vehicle if collision is imminent.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #17
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540 and 2021 BMW X5

Gotta admit, having blind spot detection in the HUD would be a game changer,
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
X7 (and bmws full line) light on if car in blind spot, flash if more urgent.
Will also shake wheel and resist if attempt to move over into blind spot
Will resist really hard to the point of actually counter steering the vehicle if collision is imminent.
The Audi doesn't just flash, it has a strobe, like the flash on a camera. It's a very bright white light so extremely noticable even in your periphery.
I don't find the BMW or Merc little triangle that noticeable unless you look directly at it. The Audi is just a bit easier to pickup.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #19
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x3, BMW X7 Individual

On my 2019 X7 I have a side collision warning and it flushes in the HUD and the dashboard. It happen to me one time in an intersection when a car was trying to move into traffic.
      11-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #20
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

the audi blind spot system and side assist system are pretty amazing. recently i parallel parked along the street and when i tried to open the door it stopped me from doing so. it immediately flashed some red lights in the door panel even though the car was parked/OFF because it sensed a car coming in the lane next to me. i wasn't about to fling the door wide open but i was still impressed that it had that capability.

i haven't tried anything similar in the X7 yet, wondering if it has similar features
      11-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #21
Sh0xT3R
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Sh0xT3R,
Thanks very much for sharing. Since you have been through my exact situation, I am curious... Would you say you are ultimately happy with your decision to switch from the Palisade to the X7? Like you said, the money difference may not completely make sense, but if I can afford it and wanted to buy myself a special gift, do you think I'll appreciate the upgrade and be happy with it?
Hi Lloyd,

We actually didn't switch. We still have the 2021 Palisade Caligraphy as well as the 2023 X7 M60i. I absolutely love both vehicles (have about 200 miles on the X7 and 28k on the Palisade).

There are certain things that the Palisade just does better at half the price of the X7.

These include:
- Space
- Comfort features like heated/cooled seats in front two rows and heated seats in back row
- Speed accessing back row
- Technology nuances like blind spots being available in the HUD
- BEING ABLE TO TURN OFF AUTO START/STOP!
- Reliability (most likely)
- Value for the money

It's no doubt though that the X7 is a nicer car -- but it's up to each individual if that marginal gain is worth the price difference. Obviously if the X7 were $3m and you had to choose, the Palisade wins every time LOL.

The X7 does better:
- Ride quality
- Overall comfort
- Power
- Luxury
- Extensive tech

There isn't an objective answer here which is really what I want to make sure to convey. Again, we love both the Palisade and the X7 which is why we have both. The key decision factor here really is what are the marginal benefits actually worth to you. If they're worth the price difference, you'll be happy. If they aren't worth the price difference, you probably wont. I hope I didn't further add to your dilemma!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #22
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0xT3R View Post
Hi Lloyd,

We actually didn't switch. We still have the 2021 Palisade Caligraphy as well as the 2023 X7 M60i. I absolutely love both vehicles (have about 200 miles on the X7 and 28k on the Palisade).

There are certain things that the Palisade just does better at half the price of the X7.

These include:
- Space
- Comfort features like heated/cooled seats in front two rows and heated seats in back row
- Speed accessing back row
- Technology nuances like blind spots being available in the HUD
- BEING ABLE TO TURN OFF AUTO START/STOP!
- Reliability (most likely)
- Value for the money

It's no doubt though that the X7 is a nicer car -- but it's up to each individual if that marginal gain is worth the price difference. Obviously if the X7 were $3m and you had to choose, the Palisade wins every time LOL.

The X7 does better:
- Ride quality
- Overall comfort
- Power
- Luxury
- Extensive tech

There isn't an objective answer here which is really what I want to make sure to convey. Again, we love both the Palisade and the X7 which is why we have both. The key decision factor here really is what are the marginal benefits actually worth to you. If they're worth the price difference, you'll be happy. If they aren't worth the price difference, you probably wont. I hope I didn't further add to your dilemma!
We went from a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy to the 22 X7 and I agree somewhat.

I don't find much difference with cargo space. I still have plenty of room in the X7 and we've moved my son to college and took a couple road trips and had plenty of room.

Being able to turn off the auto start/stop is zero concern to me. I find the X7's feature is also 100 times smoother than the Palisade. The Palisade would lung pretty aggressively when it restarted and in the X7, 40i at least, you could barely tell it restarted.

I guess the blind spot features could be debated. I enjoyed the cameras in the instrument panel for the Palisade and indications in the HUD but at what point does it become too much? I mean in the X7, you do have the digital car display in the center instrument panel too. That shows you the cars around you.

I do miss the ventilated seats in the 2nd row of the Palisade...well the family does because I never sit in the 2nd row

Most important feature is the smell. My Calligraphy freaking stunk! I had the dreaded smell in mine, and they couldn't figure it out, so they bought it back. I decided to not go with another one because the same dealer was going to charge me a 7% markup. BMW wasn't doing markups so screw Hyundai.
Appreciate 1