BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Blind spot detection in Heads Up Display

11-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #23
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Sh0xT3R and blutob2,

Thank you very much for sharing your first hand comparison experiences, I greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:02 AM   #24
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
I guess the blind spot features could be debated. I enjoyed the cameras in the instrument panel for the Palisade and indications in the HUD but at what point does it become too much? I mean in the X7, you do have the digital car display in the center instrument panel too. That shows you the cars around you.
I like cool tech, and the cameras in the instrument panel is one of the reasons I was first attracted to the Palisade. However, I ultimately find I rarely look at it - too many places to look between looking at the camera image in the driver instrument panel, then in the side mirror, then looking over my shoulder. So like you said, it was ultimately too much tech - just takes me too long to look in 3 places when preparing to change lanes.

I am really curious about the digital car display you mentioned in the center instrument panel. I didn't see that in my test drive of the 2023 X7 40i. That sounds interesting - and possibly addresses the HUD feature I was originally asking about. I will need to do some Google searching to see some examples. Thank you for pointing it out
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      11-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #25
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
I like cool tech, and the cameras in the instrument panel is one of the reasons I was first attracted to the Palisade. However, I ultimately find I rarely look at it - too many places to look between looking at the camera image in the driver instrument panel, then in the side mirror, then looking over my shoulder. So like you said, it was ultimately too much tech - just takes me too long to look in 3 places when preparing to change lanes.

I am really curious about the digital car display you mentioned in the center instrument panel. I didn't see that in my test drive of the 2023 X7 40i. That sounds interesting - and possibly addresses the HUD feature I was originally asking about. I will need to do some Google searching to see some examples. Thank you for pointing it out
First, I have a 2022 X7 but I would find it hard to believe if it's that much different in the 2023 but someone with a 2023 will have to answer. With the driver's assistant package, the digital car display defaults to ON when you enable the cruise. It usually defaults to the Map between the MPH and other display options when you don't have cruise. However, this can be changed, and you can see all the time. But once again, that's on the 2022.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #26
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
First, I have a 2022 X7 but I would find it hard to believe if it's that much different in the 2023 but someone with a 2023 will have to answer. With the driver's assistant package, the digital car display defaults to ON when you enable the cruise. It usually defaults to the Map between the MPH and other display options when you don't have cruise. However, this can be changed, and you can see all the time. But once again, that's on the 2022.
That is super helpful, thank you very much. I didn't go on the highway or use the cruise control during my test drive, so that probably explains why I did not see this feature in action. From what you described, I think I'd like it - and it addresses the functionality I was looking for when I originally posted.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      11-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #27
Sh0xT3R
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
We went from a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy to the 22 X7 and I agree somewhat.

I don't find much difference with cargo space. I still have plenty of room in the X7 and we've moved my son to college and took a couple road trips and had plenty of room.

Being able to turn off the auto start/stop is zero concern to me. I find the X7's feature is also 100 times smoother than the Palisade. The Palisade would lung pretty aggressively when it restarted and in the X7, 40i at least, you could barely tell it restarted.

I guess the blind spot features could be debated. I enjoyed the cameras in the instrument panel for the Palisade and indications in the HUD but at what point does it become too much? I mean in the X7, you do have the digital car display in the center instrument panel too. That shows you the cars around you.

I do miss the ventilated seats in the 2nd row of the Palisade...well the family does because I never sit in the 2nd row

Most important feature is the smell. My Calligraphy freaking stunk! I had the dreaded smell in mine, and they couldn't figure it out, so they bought it back. I decided to not go with another one because the same dealer was going to charge me a 7% markup. BMW wasn't doing markups so screw Hyundai.
Just so I know what to look for -- what is this dreaded smell and what does it smell like?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #28
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0xT3R View Post
Just so I know what to look for -- what is this dreaded smell and what does it smell like?
You haven't seen this in the news? It's been an issue for a few years now, Palisade and some other Hyundai/Kia products have a bad odor, some say it's like BO, while others say it's like something rotting.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #29
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
It was insane. But issues were mainly on the 20-21's Limited and Calligraphy models. I believe the 22s were fixed. They think it was in the foam in the seats. They treated all my seats and headrests twice but no fix, then they replaced all my headrests but still smelled. It was during warmer weather, maybe 60+ when it smelled. We had it a year and no fix and it smelled like very bad garlic. It was pretty bad but did start to dissipate after 5 min but getting in the car with the windows up and 100+ degrees outside was awful. I asked for a buy back and Hyundai denied it, so I rolled in BBB and Hyundai immediately accepted. It was cash back for what I paid + taxes + reimbursement for wheel powder coating, tinted windows and PPF. I was pretty shocked they gave me money back for all the extras since it was through a 3rd party. I went back to the same dealer and was actually going to buy another one, but they were going to charge me a 7% markup, so I told them to F off. So much for loyalty especially since they didn't lose out on the buyback. It wasn't about the amount of money, just the principle, so I bought the X7.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #30
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

Here's an example. I'm parked but you get the idea. If I were driving and there were cars or trucks around me it will show those cars and trucks to the left, right, and in front of me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #31
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Here's an example. I'm parked but you get the idea. If I were driving and there were cars or trucks around me it will show those cars and trucks to the left, right, and in front of me.
That is not true (specifically for the left/right vehicles in the blind spot zone that are further behind). I know you said left/right without specifying the range, so I just want to clarify so others won't translate that to the full left/right range as it relates to the blind spot zone. This display fails to show the vehicles on your left/right if they are slightly behind you, unless they are almost near the left/right door which you can easily see from the front window without much effort to look over your shoulder. If they are slightly behind even in the serious blind spot zone that really need a series over the shoulder look (i.e. near rear bumper or so), this display fails to show the vehicles even though the mirror indicator is still noticing the vehicle behind you on your left/right.

In other words, this feature shows all vehicles around you, except those that are in the actual blind spot zone closer or just near the rear bumper (where it matters the most). Hence, it is useless for that argument. I have invested a lot of time carefully evaluating this feature and the extent to which the display shows vehicles and with 100% confidence I can tell that I fails to show a huge portion of the blind spot zone and can not be relied on at all). That is not why it is there anyway.

I would not rely or even try to use this display at all, and I warn other users from using the approach you described.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 11-22-2022 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:38 PM   #32
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It also will not recognize motorcycles from time to time, sometimes the vehicles appear and disappear, when two cars are close together it will show it as a truck, etc....

It's cool to see it in action, but it also shows how inaccurate the automated systems still are. Definitely do not rely on this image for blind spot detection. Also, do not rely 100% on the blind spot detection build into your mirrors. I just had a close call when a fast moving Tesla changed lanes from left lane to middle lane right before I was going to move into the middle lane. There was no orange indicator in my mirror, luckily I looked over my shoulder, otherwise it would have been a Tesla up my bu....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 12:27 AM   #33
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
That is not true (specifically for the left/right vehicles in the blind spot zone that are further behind). I know you said left/right without specifying the range, so I just want to clarify so others won't translate that to the full left/right range as it relates to the blind spot zone. This display fails to show the vehicles on your left/right if they are slightly behind you, unless they are almost near the left/right door which you can easily see from the front window without much effort to look over your shoulder. If they are slightly behind even in the serious blind spot zone that really need a series over the shoulder look (i.e. near rear bumper or so), this display fails to show the vehicles even though the mirror indicator is still noticing the vehicle behind you on your left/right.

In other words, this feature shows all vehicles around you, except those that are in the actual blind spot zone closer or just near the rear bumper (where it matters the most). Hence, it is useless for that argument. I have invested a lot of time carefully evaluating this feature and the extent to which the display shows vehicles and with 100% confidence I can tell that I fails to show a huge portion of the blind spot zone and can not be relied on at all). That is not why it is there anyway.

I would not rely or even try to use this display at all, and I warn other users from using the approach you described.
Agreed. My only intent was to show the display as it is represented when driving with the option enabled. My intent was NOT to indicate that it would positively identify every vehicle within your blind spot.

This is what I hate about communicating with text. There are so many false interpretations that would never happen if we were talking face to face or even voice to voice.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71070.00
      11-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #34
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Thank you very much for sharing that picture, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 12:38 PM   #35
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing that picture, I appreciate it.
See this video by BMW. It shows more scenarios and examples of how trucks, cars and motorcycles appear around you.

This can be also coded for any idrive 7 vehicles including those produced before July 2019 if they didn't have it from factory. I coded that easily for my 2019. You can also use Bimmercode under expert mode for that, instead of Esys.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #36
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It was insane. But issues were mainly on the 20-21's Limited and Calligraphy models. I believe the 22s were fixed. They think it was in the foam in the seats. They treated all my seats and headrests twice but no fix, then they replaced all my headrests but still smelled. It was during warmer weather, maybe 60+ when it smelled. We had it a year and no fix and it smelled like very bad garlic. It was pretty bad but did start to dissipate after 5 min but getting in the car with the windows up and 100+ degrees outside was awful. I asked for a buy back and Hyundai denied it, so I rolled in BBB and Hyundai immediately accepted. It was cash back for what I paid + taxes + reimbursement for wheel powder coating, tinted windows and PPF. I was pretty shocked they gave me money back for all the extras since it was through a 3rd party. I went back to the same dealer and was actually going to buy another one, but they were going to charge me a 7% markup, so I told them to F off. So much for loyalty especially since they didn't lose out on the buyback. It wasn't about the amount of money, just the principle, so I bought the X7.
I was looking at Kia Carnival in my area and found dealerships to be very rude. Flat out they are charging 3-6k over msrp. A fully loaded was coming out to be around 60k. I asked for test drive and they didn't have any and didn't show any interest in finding one to help me make a decision. I happen to find a Uber driver who had carnival and my family felt dizzy so we dropped it from consideration. But I was so disappointed with Kia dealership experiences in my area. On the other hand I think Hyundai and Kia have pretty good cars now(at least tech and features)
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      11-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #37
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
I was looking at Kia Carnival in my area and found dealerships to be very rude. Flat out they are charging 3-6k over msrp. A fully loaded was coming out to be around 60k. I asked for test drive and they didn't have any and didn't show any interest in finding one to help me make a decision. I happen to find a Uber driver who had carnival and my family felt dizzy so we dropped it from consideration. But I was so disappointed with Kia dealership experiences in my area. On the other hand I think Hyundai and Kia have pretty good cars now(at least tech and features)
Hundai and Kia dealerships are the worst I have ever dealt with. I never bought a car from them, but always out of curiosity I tend to stop by to give their new vehicles/SUVs a chance.
Even worse, their salesman won't let me drive by myself, they always join me in the drive! They never showed interest to answer my questions and it always feels like they can't wait until I am gone so they don't have to answer my questions!!!
I guess this what happens when u hire people and don't pay them enough (lack of interest in the job itself...)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #38
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
Hundai and Kia dealerships are the worst I have ever dealt with. I never bought a car from them, but always out of curiosity I tend to stop by to give their new vehicles/SUVs a chance.
Even worse, their salesman won't let me drive by myself, they always join me in the drive! They never showed interest to answer my questions and it always feels like they can't wait until I am gone so they don't have to answer my questions!!!
I guess this what happens when u hire people and don't pay them enough (lack of interest in the job itself...)
I think it's more that they have so many people interested in their cars that they know they will have a buyer regardless if you purchase the car or not. It's a shame and I think even Hyundai Corporate is on their dealers about it as it's ruining their brand in the long run. I actually originally was interested in a Palisade and after a few bad experiences at a few dealers, I decided to move up to the BMW and have sworn off Hyundai as ever being a consideration again.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #39
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
See this video by BMW. It shows more scenarios and examples of how trucks, cars and motorcycles appear around you.

This can be also coded for any idrive 7 vehicles including those produced before July 2019 if they didn't have it from factory. I coded that easily for my 2019. You can also use Bimmercode under expert mode for that, instead of Esys.

Thanks very much. Seems pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #40
pwfd2135
Rep
Drives: 2022 - X7 \ 2012 G37xS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENstig8or View Post
I love all the technology in today's modern vehicles. That being said, I'm against any technology that encourages people not to maintain reasonable interaction with their cars. I would never change lanes without looking in my mirrors and if you're looking in your mirrors, the blind spot notification is right there. If you're looking at the HUD, your not looking in your mirrors. Technology and sensors can and do fail.
I am right there with you. with all of the tech, which is great, I still use the basics. like turning my head and using my mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #41
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:

BMW5and7 -> I test drove a 2023 X7 40i last weekend and tried to find this feature, but couldn't. I described what I was looking for to the Genius who was with me, and he said he was not familiar with this feature. I figured he just didn't know as much as he was saying he did. But then I just re-read your post, and realized you said it needed to be coded. So to confirm for me, is this feature included (without coding) for any model years for the X7 40i, M50i or M60i? Or do you need to code to get it? Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #42
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
BMW5and7 -> I test drove a 2023 X7 40i last weekend and tried to find this feature, but couldn't. I described what I was looking for to the Genius who was with me, and he said he was not familiar with this feature. I figured he just didn't know as much as he was saying he did. But then I just re-read your post, and realized you said it needed to be coded. So to confirm for me, is this feature included (without coding) for any model years for the X7 40i, M50i or M60i? Or do you need to code to get it? Thank you in advance!
at least on the 2023 you just need to change the view for the main display. no coding needed.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:09 PM   #43
zigandazag
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
at least on the 2023 you just need to change the view for the main display. no coding needed.
You need the driving assistance package I believe for it to show up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 06:23 AM   #44
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigandazag View Post
You need the driving assistance package I believe for it to show up.
Okay, that probably explains it then. The 2023 that I test drove did NOT have the Driving Assistance Professional Package.
Appreciate 0