BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Jews dismiss F1 boss's apology for praising Hitler

07-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Jews dismiss F1 boss's apology for praising Hitler

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ef=mpstoryview

Quote:
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Jewish groups on Wednesday rejected as inadequate an apology by Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone for remarks in which he praised German Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

Bernie Ecclestone: "Many people in my closest circle of friends are Jewish."

During an interview with The Times newspaper last week the billionaire spoke of the Nazi dictator's ability to "get things done."

But after a storm of criticism, Ecclestone issued a statement on Tuesday in which he said: "I unreservedly apologize for the remarks I made regarding Hitler in a recent interview. I am extremely distressed and embarrassed that these remarks have been used as suggesting that I support Hitler or Saddam Hussein. I would never support such people.

"I should never have been so foolish as to have been drawn into discussing these people but the fault was entirely mine, which I deeply regret."

On Wednesday Jon Benjamin, Chief Executive of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, rejected the apology. "Mr. Ecclestone's comments were crass, ignorant and insensitive," he said in a statement issued to CNN.

"There is no excuse for praising one of history's most evil men for being good at being bad."

In his statement on Tuesday, the 78-year-old appeared to reignite the controversy by remarking: "During the 1930s Germany was facing an economic crisis, but Hitler was able to rebuild the economy, building the autobahns and German industry.

"That was all I meant when I referred to him getting things done.

"I'm an admirer of good leadership, of politicians who stand by their convictions and tell the voters the truth. I'm not an admirer of dictators who rule by terror."

He told The Jewish Chronicle on Tuesday he regretted offending people who took his remarks "the wrong way."

Ecclestone had earlier been described by the newspaper's editor, Stephen Pollard, as "either an idiot or morally repulsive."

Germany's Central Council of Jews had urged motor racing teams to boycott Formula One over Ecclestone's comments but cautiously welcomed the apology.

However one of the group's leaders pointed out that the F1 chief's remarks about the man who presided over the deaths of six million Jews had caused great pain.

"If Ecclestone says he was an idiot, I will certainly not contradict him," Dieter Graumann, vice president of the council, told Handesblatt newspaper.

"Apologizing is better than not apologizing. But the glorification of a mass murderer is not a trivial offense."

German media also reported that Guenther Oettinger, premier of the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, had canceled a meeting with the Briton at this weekend's German Grand Prix at Nurburgring because of his comments about Hitler.

The F1 chief had told the German newspaper Bild: "Many people in my closest circle of friends are Jewish. Anyone who knows me knows that I would never attack a minority."
oh bernie....facepalm.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
BMWfanfromQuebec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 325i, 05 a4 1.8TQ

Him and max should not be allowed in this sport.

too bad he owns the copyrights
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Ogalthorpe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Thats it... No more Irish jokes either!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
bernie is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Oh wait, it gets even better:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/07/f...blames-jews-f/
      07-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

What do you expect these groups to say about the apology? Accept it, and the story dies. Reject it, and they stay in the news. Publicity--> donation.

Yes I HATE activist groups of all ilk. They are annoying as sin.

Bernard Madoff has done more damage to the jewish name than the biggest anti-semi in the world could dream of.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
What do you expect these groups to say about the apology? Accept it, and the story dies. Reject it, and they stay in the news. Publicity--> donation.

Yes I HATE activist groups of all ilk. They are annoying as sin.

Bernard Madoff has done more damage to the jewish name than the biggest anti-semi in the world could dream of.
wat
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Oh jesus not jews again lol. In my country they claim to be victim of everything that ever happens aswell ... I don't mind their religion and their beliefs, but give it a rest already, you won't be the eternal victim.

Looking at the article i can tell it was easy enough to distinguish him supporting hitler, or just making a sort of comparison. If you even briefly consider the possiblity of it refering to that, you'll know there really ain't nothing to be pissed about ... i mean come on think positive
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Max and Bernie both have to leave the sport...they are killing the FIA, FOM and the Formula 1 sport....