BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Looking to Order a New xDrive40i, What Kind of Pricing to Expect?

08-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
ToasterStroodle
Rep
Drives: '95 BMW 730iL E38

Looking to Order a New xDrive40i, What Kind of Pricing to Expect?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, new member here and prospective X7 owner!

My family is looking to purchase an X7 xDrive40i, and I've already been in contact with a few dealers (mostly a few quick questions, haven't talked options or pricing at all yet).

I've attached the options list for what we want (fully loaded basically), but I wanted to get some feedback from other owners on which options/packages are unnecessary and a waste of money. One question I do have regarding options is the availability of Laserlights on the 40i model. It's not listed on the Order Guide, but I was wondering if it's still possible to have it ordered as a special order item.

Furthermore, and most importantly, based off of the current spec built, what kind of discounts would be possible? Somewhere in the ballpark of 8-10% would be optimal, but I'd like to know what others have been getting.

Thank you all for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quick edit to add that we are going to go with the Full Merino Leather Package in Ivory White (ZBEW) and are no longer considering the Extended Merino Leather in Ivory White (VAEW). Please disregard it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterStroodle View Post
Quick edit to add that we are going to go with the Full Merino Leather Package in Ivory White (ZBEW) and are no longer considering the Extended Merino Leather in Ivory White (VAEW). Please disregard it, thanks!
There is a pricing thread up in the sticky section above. Some ppl are reporting 8-9% off msrp plus individual incentves (loyalty, CCA rebate, etc). You should follow that thread closely.

This is very much a YMMV situation and you will likely need to go to a dealer farther away to get the best pricing. That can come with a slightly diminished service level under some circumstances down the road. For instance, I didn't get the lowest price in a 3 hour radius, but my dealer will come 45 minutes to my house 1 way to pick up my car and bring me a loaner for the free oil changes. They even picked me up to drive me 2.5 hours to the PC in Greer. They wouldn't do either if I didn't buy from them. This has real value to me.

PS - those 22" wheels are nice, but you can only get perforamce tires on that rim now. Being in DC, you'll need another set of wheels and tire for 40-50% of the year when temps get below 45? I think that was the temp that performance tires really underperform. I'd guess you see 45 mid Oct - March (at least at night). They are also insanely expenisve with short lifespan. Something to consider. I went with 21" on my white 40i msport for these reasons and im in the South. I'll probably go a size wider on the 1st replacement.

Last edited by dmann33; 08-03-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

I'm also waiting for the 2020 config guide to be posted so I can configure and place an order. I have had a few basic conversations with dealers and it differs on how much they are willing to discount the cost. One which I'm talking to now initially told me they have little room to negotiate for ordered vehicles and to pick one from the lot. Well, we all know what the problem is with that. Usually the cars on the lot don't have the options we want. We ended up agreeing to order and negotiate once I have my config down. Options you order are subjective so its based on preference. For me, the Bowers sounds damn good and the Harmon is not as good but better than most car audio systems and I have it in my present Mercedes GLS so I opted to save my $3k. The night vision will depend on where you drive. I'm in the suburbs so don't do a lot of dark road driving and we don't have a lot of animals or people jumping out of the woods . I'm going for the 40i M-Sport too. I like the look but I'm concerned about the lower profile run-flats. The captains are nice and give that upscale appearance but one reason I'm buying an SUV is for space and this takes away from it but, its very temping. Laser Lights are nice but I thought they will not be available for the 40i. Lastly, I not a fan of assistance professional package so I didn't opt for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

At that level, I would ask for 10% off. That many options give the dealer a bigger profit-margin.

As far as the Lasers, I don't think they are available today on any X7 besides the M50i.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
There is a pricing thread up in the sticky section above. Some ppl are reporting 8-9% off msrp plus individual incentves (loyalty, CCA rebate, etc). You should follow that thread closely.

This is very much a YMMV situation and you will likely need to go to a dealer farther away to get the best pricing. That can come with a slightly diminished service level under some circumstances down the road. For instance, I didn't get the lowest price in a 3 hour radius, but my dealer will come 45 minutes to my house 1 way to pick up my car and bring me a loaner for the free oil changes. They even picked me up to drive me 2.5 hours to the PC in Greer. They wouldn't do either if I didn't buy from them. This has real value to me.
Thank you for your reply! I'll take a look at and monitor the pricing thread! With regards to the tires, we have a GLE that we have running performance summer tires all year round without issue, but, nonetheless, I'll definitely make sure to have another set of wheels and tires for the colder seasons this time round!

Last edited by ToasterStroodle; 08-03-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
I'm also waiting for the 2020 config guide to be posted so I can configure and place an order. I have had a few basic conversations with dealers and it differs on how much they are willing to discount the cost. One which I'm talking to now initially told me they have little room to negotiate for ordered vehicles and to pick one from the lot. Well, we all know what the problem is with that. Usually the cars on the lot don't have the options we want. We ended up agreeing to order and negotiate once I have my config down. Options you order are subjective so its based on preference. For me, the Bowers sounds damn good and the Harmon is not as good but better than most car audio systems and I have it in my present Mercedes GLS so I opted to save my $3k. The night vision will depend on where you drive. I'm in the suburbs so don't do a lot of dark road driving and we don't have a lot of animals or people jumping out of the woods . I'm going for the 40i M-Sport too. I like the look but I'm concerned about the lower profile run-flats. The captains are nice and give that upscale appearance but one reason I'm buying an SUV is for space and this takes away from it but, its very temping. Laser Lights are nice but I thought they will not be available for the 40i. Lastly, I not a fan of assistance professional package so I didn't opt for it.
Thank you for your reply as well as the feedback on a few options/packages! Since this car will be used by all members of the family, my mother is adamant with the night vision pack so that's not going anywhere, haha! My dad is adamant with the captain chairs so that's staying too. Bowers is something I am adamant about so that's also staying, haha.

With regards to the assistance professional package, may I ask what exactly about it do you not like?

And, lastly, with regards to the laser lights, I added it to the options list in hopes that it can be added as a special order item. I reached out to dealers regarding the availability of it on the 40i trim as well as the possibility of special ordering them, and I'll post an update when I hear back from them (fingers crossed!)

I've also uploaded the latest 2020 model year ordering guide (7/30 edition) as well as the pricing guide (5/22 edition). Hopefully you'll find it useful!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
At that level, I would ask for 10% off. That many options give the dealer a bigger profit-margin.

As far as the Lasers, I don't think they are available today on any X7 besides the M50i.
Thank you for your reply! I'll definitely try and get a 10% discount with the current spec. If not possible, I'll probably aim for 8% at the lowest.

It's kind of a bummer that only the M50i gets lasers at the moment, but I asked a few dealers if they can still be special ordered and, I'm hoping they say yes!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Thank you for your reply! I'll take a look at and monitor the pricing thread! With regards to the tires, we have a GLE that we have running performance summer tires all year round without issue, but, nonetheless, I'll definitely make sure to have another set of wheels and tires for the colder seasons this time round!
Not to make this a tire thread at all, but you can drive under conservative conditions with potentially no discernible difference. However, and its a big one, when you get below 45 the rubber compound becomes an inflexible plastic with drastically reduced traction characteristics. As such, your stopping distance can rise considerably and worst case you can more easily lose control making an aggressive evasive maneuver. So, in absence of this need you may not notice, but this car is heavy and for us it’s the safety (including accident avoidance abilities) that were the greatest factor in buying a new X7. Just wanted to add this for anyone considering driving on summer rubber in cool temps. My wife would be furious if I had her on poor control tires during part of the year.

It’s also true that summer tires perform better in hot conditions than all seasons, BUT the difference isn’t anywhere near as drastic as it it when that soft compound changes characteristics in cool temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
It's kind of a bummer that only the M50i gets lasers at the moment, but I asked a few dealers if they can still be special ordered and, I'm hoping they say yes!
I'm planning on ordering my 40i around mid/late December and you can't imagine how much I want those Lasers - LOL!

BTW, looking at your configuration, we might almost be getting the same configuration...at least the colors inside and out might be identical...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your reply as well as the feedback on a few options/packages! Since this car will be used by all members of the family, my mother is adamant with the night vision pack so that's not going anywhere, haha! My dad is adamant with the captain chairs so that's staying too. Bowers is something I am adamant about so that's also staying, haha.

With regards to the assistance professional package, may I ask what exactly about it do you not like?

And, lastly, with regards to the laser lights, I added it to the options list in hopes that it can be added as a special order item. I reached out to dealers regarding the availability of it on the 40i trim as well as the possibility of special ordering them, and I'll post an update when I hear back from them (fingers crossed!)

I've also uploaded the latest 2020 model year ordering guide (7/30 edition) as well as the pricing guide (5/22 edition). Hopefully you'll find it useful!
Thanks for the updated 2020 guide! With regard to the assistance professional package, it appears to require more awareness then if you were driving yourself. Also you are trusting the car to do the right thing every time. I'm just not there yet with this technology. Here is the YouTube video:

Last edited by CruiseControl; 08-03-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Thanks for posting your guides. If you do have an updated 7-30-2019 ordering guide, that would be a great find. But when I click on your link, it downloads the existing 5-22 guide. Do you have the 7-30?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Thanks for posting your guides. If you do have an updated 7-30-2019 ordering guide, that would be a great find. But when I click on your link, it downloads the existing 5-22 guide. Do you have the 7-30?
The guide he posted is updated. See page 2. It lists the updates. Also the footer of the pages state, Released: 07/30/2019.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The guide he posted is updated. See page 2. It lists the updates. Also the footer of the pages state, Released: 07/30/2019.
Ah, thanks! I didn't see that fine print in the footer, only the header that still says 5-22. Wonder what all is different in it. I do see the change log on page 2. Seems pretty minor queep.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 08-03-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah, thanks! I didn't see that fine print in the footer, only the header that still says 5-22. Wonder what all is different in it.
Yeah I wondered too when it was posted. Page 2 shows the revisions up until 7/30.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Still no update to 4DS display key availability.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes! But at least it resolved the side shades confusion issue. The updated guide confirms electric side shades vice manual as was stated in the original release of the 2020 ordering guide.
Appreciate 1
760Lifan450.50
      08-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #18
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Not to make this a tire thread at all, but you can drive under conservative conditions with potentially no discernible difference. However, and its a big one, when you get below 45 the rubber compound becomes an inflexible plastic with drastically reduced traction characteristics. As such, your stopping distance can rise considerably and worst case you can more easily lose control making an aggressive evasive maneuver. So, in absence of this need you may not notice, but this car is heavy and for us it’s the safety (including accident avoidance abilities) that were the greatest factor in buying a new X7. Just wanted to add this for anyone considering driving on summer rubber in cool temps. My wife would be furious if I had her on poor control tires during part of the year.

It’s also true that summer tires perform better in hot conditions than all seasons, BUT the difference isn’t anywhere near as drastic as it it when that soft compound changes characteristics in cool temps.
Thanks again for your reply! You make very valid points regarding tires, and since we will be using the X7 way more often than the GLE all year, I'll definitely go for a winter set up.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #19
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I'm planning on ordering my 40i around mid/late December and you can't imagine how much I want those Lasers - LOL!

BTW, looking at your configuration, we might almost be getting the same configuration...at least the colors inside and out might be identical...
Yeah, the lasers are a big want for me as well, haha! One salesman replied to my email and he said that it's still available on the 50i, but not the 40i. He said that availability (or lack of) on the 40i is a result of the supply shortage, but he said it could be possible to still have some on the 40i as a special order. I'm setting up a phone call with him to see what can be done and will update the thread afterwards.

Also, it looks like we share similar tastes regarding the appearance of our vehicles!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #20
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the updated 2020 guide! With regard to the assistance professional package, it appears to require more awareness then if you were driving yourself. Also you are trusting the car to do the right thing every time. I'm just not there yet with this technology. Here is the YouTube video:
Got it, our Mercedes has their advanced Distronic package, and for me, it works fine. I'll try and find a car on the BMW dealer lot with the assistance professional package and see if I like it or not.

Have fun ordering/speccing out your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #21
ToasterStroodle
Rep

Quote:
No worries, happy ordering!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #22
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Re: driving assistance

I have a new X5 and didn’t order the driving assistance package, but did get the parking assist. I haven’t used it yet to park, but the camera system is wonderful. Hit the button and you can see how close you are to objects on all sides of the car. And it warns when getting close to objects.

After a long road trip, I wish I had the upgraded cruise control. My sister got a Mazda c5 a few months ago, grand touring, and it has the assisted cruise control. She loves it, and after our trip I know why. In crowded traffic conditions, it is difficult to use the regular cruise control.

My normal driving doesn’t ever require that, but if you drive congested highways with any regularity, I’d highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0