BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) MSC driving Button's car?

07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

MSC driving Button's car?

Forgive me but isn't this old news? I mean we all know that design of the following year's car begins during the current season, which would have meant all along that MSC was driving a car designed for Button and/or Barreichello. Why is this getting press?

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I believe MGP are using the same chassis if not redevelop the BGP001 from last year....due to budget and time.
Thus Merc is behind most teams on the grid this year...

and that's also the reason why Ross Brawn and Nick Fry hasn't give Button his car when he won the championship and caused button to sue Brawn GP/Mercedes GP....which was in the contract when button signed for Brawn last year....something like "if i won WDC/WCC for Brawn...they will give me the F1 car that I won the championship"....
      07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I believe MGP are using the same chassis if not redevelop the BGP001 from last year....due to budget and time.
Thus Merc is behind most teams on the grid this year...

and that's also the reason why Ross Brawn and Nick Fry hasn't give Button his car when he won the championship and caused button to sue Brawn GP/Mercedes GP....which was in the contract when button signed for Brawn last year....something like "if i won WDC/WCC for Brawn...they will give me the F1 car that I won the championship"....
Hadn't heard about this piece of information. Yeah I guess you wouldn't want to give away your chassis if you hadn't built the next one!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

hmmm... news to me too.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Hadn't heard about this piece of information. Yeah I guess you wouldn't want to give away your chassis if you hadn't built the next one!
My apologies...Brawn (now Mercedes) has provided his 2009 chassis to Button as a settlement after Jenson filed a lawsuit...

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/20860.html

Quote:
Jenson Button had to file legal action to ensure his former team handed over his prize for winning the 2009 world championship, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Button agreed to lower his salary after the Brawn takeover of Honda with a clause added to his contract that he could keep a chassis of his car if he won the championship. The clause read: "In the event that the driver wins the championship at any time during the term, the company shall transfer ... ownership of one chassis of the type driven by the driver during that winning season."

The case has come to light because Button's company JB Next BV filed legal action in London's High Court in April against the Brawn. According to the Mail on Sunday report, the team refused to hand over a 2009 Brawn car to Button because there were not enough of the chassis remaining.

It is believed that six BGP001 cars were made, but an email to Button from Mercedes in January reads: "We have no spare 2009 chassis as limited quantities were manufactured for the 2009 season for cost reasons."

Mercedes then reportedly offered to build a replica of the BGP001 car, but Button said it would lack the "special and unique" value of owning one of the very cars he drove to the title.

In the face of legal action, Brawn ultimately decided to supply a 2009 Brawn car to the now McLaren driver. "We have arrived at an amicable resolution, and so there will no longer be any court action over this," Button's spokesman confirmed.