BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Any tips for a long drive with a full car - 7 Pass + luggage

04-30-2024, 10:34 PM   #1
pjsfirstbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

Any tips for a long drive with a full car - 7 Pass + luggage

I am planning to take a long 2000 mile trip from Boston-NY-NJ-PA-DC and back to Boston. Will stop at multiple points and go around DC as well. We will have a full car with 7 passengers and luggage. It's 24X7. Has been great at driving. My concerns are around -
1. What should be the typical tire pressure to maintain with a full car and how often should I check it?
2. Any high speed limitations or what should be the speed to maintain?
3. Any luggage weight limitations?
4. Is going with a rack a good idea with 7 passengers in the car?

Any other tips from folks who have done longer drives with a full car?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:51 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsfirstbimmer View Post
I am planning to take a long 2000 mile trip from Boston-NY-NJ-PA-DC and back to Boston. Will stop at multiple points and go around DC as well. We will have a full car with 7 passengers and luggage. It's 24X7. Has been great at driving. My concerns are around -
1. What should be the typical tire pressure to maintain with a full car and how often should I check it?
2. Any high speed limitations or what should be the speed to maintain?
3. Any luggage weight limitations?
4. Is going with a rack a good idea with 7 passengers in the car?

1) Check the sticker on your driver side door B piller. It should show you what the pressure should be under max load.
2) Reasonable speed for the road and traffic situation. (keep an eye on your tire pressure, might need to let some air out. We did up to 105 mph for stretches in 120 degree weather and the tire pressure got over 55psi).
3) The max load is on the sticker on the driver door B piller. That's for everything in the vehicle, passengers plus luggage/cargo.
4) Unless you pack really light, I would think you'll definitely need either a roof rack or a hitch rack. We did a 5k mile road trip last summer with just 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids) and we stuffed the car full of stuff, including the 2nd row middle seat, floor space and occasionally even the front passenger footwell space. (But my wife does like to pack everything for even short trips).
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2024, 04:33 AM   #3
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Car theft and contents theft in DC are rampant. Keep your vehicle locked in a secure area, and leave nothing in your vehicle at any time. External luggage carriers could limit where you can park, and invite thieves.

With 7 travelers, I'd take Amtrak instead, and stick with tour groups.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I just did a trip from Chicago to Niagara Falls and back with 4 adults and 2 kids. 1200 miles total. More than 18 hours on the road. Rented a minivan because it had more space. All of us actually sat in my X7 to see how it compares and everyone mentioned that the minivan was significantly roomier. If you travel with more people, the space would be even more constrained in the X7.

Another nice part about renting is I didn't really have to clean the vehicle upon return. The amount of mosquitos on the windshield and the front part of the vehicle was enormous and I actually had to stop at gas stations to remove them more often than I needed more gas. Removing all that mess from my X7 would have taken some significant effort.

We also ate in the rental car because our schedule was pretty tight, so there were a couple minor beverage leaks which would drive me nuts if that happened in my X7.

Driving the minivan was a miserable experience compared to the X7 but to me it was a reasonable compromise.
Appreciate 3
MR_M2522.00
      05-01-2024, 09:28 AM   #5
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
I just did a trip from Chicago to Niagara Falls and back with 4 adults and 2 kids. 1200 miles total. More than 18 hours on the road. Rented a minivan because it had more space. All of us actually sat in my X7 to see how it compares and everyone mentioned that the minivan was significantly roomier. If you travel with more people, the space would be even more constrained in the X7.

Another nice part about renting is I didn't really have to clean the vehicle upon return. The amount of mosquitos on the windshield and the front part of the vehicle was enormous and I actually had to stop at gas stations to remove them more often than I needed more gas. Removing all that mess from my X7 would have taken some significant effort.

We also ate in the rental car because our schedule was pretty tight, so there were a couple minor beverage leaks which would drive me nuts if that happened in my X7.

Driving the minivan was a miserable experience compared to the X7 but to me it was a reasonable compromise.
OP could rent a Yukon or Suburban. Roomier in the first two rows than a van too. I've had both vans and a Yukon. I prefer driving the Yukon except in tight city driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:09 AM   #6
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
OP could rent a Yukon or Suburban. Roomier in the first two rows than a van too. I've had both vans and a Yukon. I prefer driving the Yukon except in tight city driving.
This. X7 imho is good for 4 people. Or 4+toddler. Any more and you will have uncomfortable passengers. But using your existing car is cheaper than renting so that’s a plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:40 AM   #7
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
But using your existing car is cheaper than renting so that’s a plus.
I have a corporate discount thru my employer so I paid $200 instead of $500+ for the rental. I understand not everyone has this option, but if it is available, I think it is worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Car theft and contents theft in DC are rampant. Keep your vehicle locked in a secure area, and leave nothing in your vehicle at any time. External luggage carriers could limit where you can park, and invite thieves.

With 7 travelers, I'd take Amtrak instead, and stick with tour groups.
I couldn't agree more. I live 6 hours by car from Chicago and have thought many times about taking the X7 but decided not to. I can find cheap plane tickets and save on ridiculous parking fees on hotels and not have my car dinged, scratched, dented or broken in.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:32 PM   #9
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm on the opposite opinion. I do not like to use rental cars for long trips because you don't know how they've been cared for (or lack there of), what condition they are in.

I've had plenty of rental cars break down over the years that I now only use it for shorter trips (mostly work trips).

For longer personal trips, I prefer to use my own car. I know it's history, I know how I've taken care of it. I've done many 2k-5k mile road trips, all in my own car. I've even taken 2k mile road trips in my old E46 328i with 175k miles. I trust that car to go on longer trips than a newer rental with unknown history.

My most recent work trip, I had to bring the rental car back and exchange it twice in the first 24 hours due to various issue with the relatively new cars (all were less than a year old and only had a few thousand miles on it). First vehicle had a tire that wouldn't hold air, the second car had the check engine (among other lights) lit within minutes of leaving the rental lot. The third vehicle was fine for the remaining 2 weeks I had it, but it was super uncomfortable, and had a weak AC. I was so happy to get back to my X7 at the end of that work trip.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 09:44 PM   #10
pjsfirstbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

Thank you so much for all the responses and tips. I truly appreciate them.
I bought the X7 considering that I will be able to fit a 7 people (this trip is 4 adults, late teen and 2 kids) in the car as the engine and size should support it. for luggage the trade off was to take duffle bags and cram them in the trunk. The consensus are towards renting a van for comfort and reliability.
I have reserved (not paid) for a rental van for those dates. I will do a trial run with 7 folks and let them decide to go with the rental or the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:26 PM   #11
xyt0434
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
1) Check the sticker on your driver side door B piller. It should show you what the pressure should be under max load.
2) Reasonable speed for the road and traffic situation. (keep an eye on your tire pressure, might need to let some air out. We did up to 105 mph for stretches in 120 degree weather and the tire pressure got over 55psi).
3) The max load is on the sticker on the driver door B piller. That's for everything in the vehicle, passengers plus luggage/cargo.
4) Unless you pack really light, I would think you'll definitely need either a roof rack or a hitch rack. We did a 5k mile road trip last summer with just 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids) and we stuffed the car full of stuff, including the 2nd row middle seat, floor space and occasionally even the front passenger footwell space. (But my wife does like to pack everything for even short trips).
Well same wife same packed trips. We have just one 8 months and the whole behind 2nd row just full. She said: that’s all your daughter needs.🫢
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:21 AM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the responses and tips. I truly appreciate them.
I bought the X7 considering that I will be able to fit a 7 people (this trip is 4 adults, late teen and 2 kids) in the car as the engine and size should support it. for luggage the trade off was to take duffle bags and cram them in the trunk. The consensus are towards renting a van for comfort and reliability.
I have reserved (not paid) for a rental van for those dates. I will do a trial run with 7 folks and let them decide to go with the rental or the X7.
You own the perfect luxury cruiser that is literally designed for a trip like this, so you should drive it and enjoy it. No minivan rental is going to be as comfortable and familiar. There is no point in taking this trip if the vehicle isn't the star of the show, the place you're happy to be in. Having miserable passengers isn't the answer. You take your X7.

Get a cargo box for the roof and put all the duffels up there. You will never be able to pack for 7 in the tiny space behind the 3rd Row without blocking the window and/or crowding the rearmost passengers. Look at the Thule Force XT in the XL size (available at REI or LL Bean) and the OEM BMW crossbars (your dealer has them). This is the setup that most of us use. Install takes 10 minutes. No tools, just turn some knobs.

Lastly, pack a can of Sprayway Window Cleaner and a pack of microfiber towels (both at Walmart, Target, etc.) so that you can clean the bugs off without needing a gas station (so many skimp on squeegees and water these days).
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 07:47 AM   #13
E46G07fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, BMW X7, Tesla Model Y

I also suggest going with a rental, a Chrysler Pacifica is perfect. Check your employer for discounts on rentals. I typically rent through National and go to the Emerald lot and get a mini van or SUV for the cost of a compact reservation. For example, I just rented a Chrysler Pacifica for 2 weeks and put 3400 miles on it for $500. Virginia to Orlando, FL to Virginia, to Boston and back to Virginia. The cost saving on carwash, tire wear, oil change, fuel economy, etc. makes the rental worth it. Trunk space is much better than our x7s, as well.

If you were doing the trip with less passengers, I'd maybe consider the X7, but not likely.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:16 AM   #14
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Adding another trip experience to my previous response.

Last year I drove from Chicago to Florida and back in my X7. 2 adults and 2 kids with full trunk of cargo. 4 days on the road and 2k miles total. Everyone was comfortable and truly enjoyed the trip.
As somebody mentioned above, long trips in an X7 are very comfortable for 4 (maybe 5) people. Adding more people will require compromises on comfort and trip experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:33 AM   #15
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

We are planning some more road trips this summer. This time instead of 4, we will have 6. 4 adult 2 kids ( well one is a 17 year old so not really a kid anymore, he is taller than me).

This time it will be a # of shorter trips (roughly 3-4 days and about 1k miles each) rather than one long trip (14 days 5k miles).

We plan to take our X7 and try to pack as lightly as possible and worst case we'll borrow a roof cargo box (already have the cross bars).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:43 AM   #16
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

another vote for a minivan rental. 7 people is a lot. we've done a few road trips in the X7 with just our two teens and a trunk packed full of stuff. it was really comfortable with 4 people, the X7 is a real highway cruiser.

i don't know how the heck you'd do it with 7 people's stuff. even with racks and carriers, that poses new challenges of loading/unloading. then you have to go and buy all the equipment to make that happen. and then getting in and out however many times you need to during that trip sounds like a nightmare. and likely claustrophobia for the rear seat passengers behind the bench seats.

just my opinion. good thought on doing a trial run with the minivan. let us know what they pick!
      05-02-2024, 12:08 PM   #17
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We are planning some more road trips this summer. This time instead of 4, we will have 6. 4 adult 2 kids ( well one is a 17 year old so not really a kid anymore, he is taller than me).

This time it will be a # of shorter trips (roughly 3-4 days and about 1k miles each) rather than one long trip (14 days 5k miles).

We plan to take our X7 and try to pack as lightly as possible and worst case we'll borrow a roof cargo box (already have the cross bars).
Let us know how it goes. I think you'd need a roof box because with the 3rd row up there is very little cargo space available. And with 6 people in the X7 there would be no space to put bags on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #18
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. I think you'd need a roof box because with the 3rd row up there is very little cargo space available. And with 6 people in the X7 there would be no space to put bags on the floor.
What I'm planning is to have only one of the 3rd row seats up. We'll sit 3 in the 2nd row (2 adults and the 9 year old kid).

This will give us about 1/2 of the space in the rear for bags and stuff. I think we should be able to fit 4-5 carry on sized bags in that space. Which may work for a shorter trip (assuming I can convince the wife she doesn't need to bring 10 outfits and 6 pairs of shoes for each travel day).

Will try to load it up a few days ahead of time as a test. Worst case, I'll borrow a roof cargo box from a neighbor and put some bags up there.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #19
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
assuming I can convince the wife she doesn't need to bring 10 outfits and 6 pairs of shoes for each travel day).
Good luck! Also have kids and lite packing adults bring duffle bags/backpacks and chuck em in the under floor space of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #20
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer00 View Post
Good luck! Also have kids and lite packing adults bring duffle bags/backpacks and chuck em in the under floor space of the trunk.
I have the 21" non run flat tires with the spare tire so no space under floor of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 05:12 PM   #21
willzyx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I'd rent a minivan or a Suburban if you really need an SUV. With the Suburban, you can skip the roof box. No point in putting miles on your own car or have someone break into it.

But if you really want to do a roadtrip in an X7, you could rent one from Sixt (although it will probably be pricey). I've seen a few of them at Logan (LCI and pre-LCI models).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #22
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:

Make sure the tank is full of gas and the 7 passengers aren't

Last edited by rjabend; 05-03-2024 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0