BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Wireless Charger Nuked my iPhone 15 Pro

10-04-2023, 06:31 AM   #23
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPATURK View Post
Get a PIXEL - Apple is having USB-C issues as well on new IPhone 15 - maybe if they stopped ripping their cusotmer soff with cheap as, lighting cables that break and realize USB-C was the way to go two years ago like Samsung and Google.
I was under the impression that EU regulations forced Apple's hand here.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...use%20USB%2DC.

I doubt they would have changed otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 06:35 AM   #24
TPATURK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10-550xi-Msport

Like Apple should switch to RCS as well. Sorry I run my whole company on Macs but the IOS mobile software, the accessories and the whole Imessage thing is ridiculous. It is all about control and money. Anyhow my Pixel charges wirelessly in my Alpina fine. I don't use it though that often, I like having my device easily accessible so the placement of thechatgingnpad is poor in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:15 AM   #25
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

I just threw this together for my Gran Coupe and am about to do likewise in my X7. Console Organizer and Right Angle USB-C Adapter from Amazon, MagSafe Charger from Apple, and a bottle of Gorilla Glue, problem solved.

(Forgive the high school shop quality of the modification, I didn't have the proper tools, I'll buy another tray and do it right I promise, LOL)
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 11:03 AM   #26
MA///M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Just read this regarding the iPhone 15 overheating https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone...er-ios-17-0-3/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 05:00 AM   #27
tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 LCI Frozen Pure Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

I just threw this together for my Gran Coupe and am about to do likewise in my X7. Console Organizer and Right Angle USB-C Adapter from Amazon, MagSafe Charger from Apple, and a bottle of Gorilla Glue, problem solved.

(Forgive the high school shop quality of the modification, I didn't have the proper tools, I'll buy another tray and do it right I promise, LOL)
Haha that's hilarious Have you glued that magsafe?
It's just so sad that you have to do such Aliexpress stuff in 100k+ car when f.e. our Czech car company Skoda has cooled wireless pad in their cars...
But I will definitely try your solution since it's more appealing to me pushing that middle console button then sliding the carbon cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #28
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewai View Post
Haha that's hilarious Have you glued that magsafe?
It's just so sad that you have to do such Aliexpress stuff in 100k+ car when f.e. our Czech car company Skoda has cooled wireless pad in their cars...
But I will definitely try your solution since it's more appealing to me pushing that middle console button then sliding the carbon cover.

Yeah, Gorilla Glue the MagSafe to the plastic tray, need to cut a couple of holes to manage the cord, need a right angle USB-C adapter to get the lengthy MagSafe plug out of the way. It's a $59 fix and it's effective. As an added bonus, it doubles the amount of storage space as the room under the tray is still there for keys and things that could scratch the phone.

When I take short trips, under 30 minutes, I'll just throw my iPhone on the BMW wireless charger. Gets warm, but no issues. But for anything longer than 30 minutes and especially on really long trips, my iPhone is in the armrest.

Also get a short USB-C cord. Because sometimes you need to urgently charge your phone in the car and MagSafe isn't fast, especially if you're in CarPlay and streaming music and using iPhone for navigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:41 AM   #29
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Well, this just happened to me. Just got my new iPhone 15, charged it up and drove off to work the next day. Threw it in the charging compartment, but not to charge it. I always throw it screen side down so that it won't charge, but because I didn't have a case on my phone, I must have gotten confused and put it in there back side down, and it then started to charge. Was litening to a podcast and boom, Carplay shuts down. Take the phone out and it's 1,000 degrees. Almost too hot to hold. When it cooled off enough, it restarted but acted all goofy. Went into a data recovery mode. Now it seems almost back to normal, but won't connect via carplay anymore and my apple wallet has errors too. So I guess it fried the nfc chip or whatever. BMW's charging pad sucks, but this is clearly an Apple iPhone 15 issue, as no other phones have done this. Unbelievable that Apple didn't see this coming. I wonder how many phones they'll be replacing because of this issue. I'm headed to the Apple store shortly.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #30
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

How easy is it to disconnect charging pad or does it mess with the proximity key if we do that?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #31
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
How easy is it to disconnect charging pad or does it mess with the proximity key if we do that?
Good question. I would love to premnantly turn the charging pad off.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 02:30 PM   #32
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Well, this just happened to me. Just got my new iPhone 15, charged it up and drove off to work the next day. Threw it in the charging compartment, but not to charge it. I always throw it screen side down so that it won't charge, but because I didn't have a case on my phone, I must have gotten confused and put it in there back side down, and it then started to charge. Was litening to a podcast and boom, Carplay shuts down. Take the phone out and it's 1,000 degrees. Almost too hot to hold. When it cooled off enough, it restarted but acted all goofy. Went into a data recovery mode. Now it seems almost back to normal, but won't connect via carplay anymore and my apple wallet has errors too. So I guess it fried the nfc chip or whatever. BMW's charging pad sucks, but this is clearly an Apple iPhone 15 issue, as no other phones have done this. Unbelievable that Apple didn't see this coming. I wonder how many phones they'll be replacing because of this issue. I'm headed to the Apple store shortly.
now i am really glad my wireless charger was a deleted feature. really seems unsafe too.
      10-12-2023, 06:59 PM   #33
bluemoonromance
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Has anyone tried turning off the wireless charger but is still running into this issue? Or even with wireless charging off, is the NFC chip/reader the issue.

The X7 really has very little space to keep the phone i.e doesn't fit in the cup holder and the arm rest is super inconvenient. Hence would ideally prefer to use the phone slot, even if it doesn't wirelessly charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #34
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonromance View Post
Has anyone tried turning off the wireless charger but is still running into this issue? Or even with wireless charging off, is the NFC chip/reader the issue.

The X7 really has very little space to keep the phone i.e doesn't fit in the cup holder and the arm rest is super inconvenient. Hence would ideally prefer to use the phone slot, even if it doesn't wirelessly charge.
Unfortunately, there is no way to turn it off. At least, not in the LCI X7s. I REALLY wish there was a way. I think I'm going to have to get some phone mount now. I can't risk putting my phone up there and having it melt down again.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #35
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

@U235 - Did you get your new iPhone and were you able to connect it via Carplay? I am still having issues, even with my new phone. Hoping either BMW or Apple sends out an update to fix this crap soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #36
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
@U235 - Did you get your new iPhone and were you able to connect it via Carplay? I am still having issues, even with my new phone. Hoping either BMW or Apple sends out an update to fix this crap soon.
Yes, new phone came from Apple last Thursday. It's working fine, CarPlay and CarKey work fine. No Issues, but I'm done with the wireless charger until BMW and/or Apple come out with a statement ensuring confidence the issue has been fixed.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2023, 04:52 PM   #37
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
This just happened to me this afternoon. I normally drive an iX, and always use the wireless charging and I had no problem with my iPhone 15 Max Pro overheating, but I borrowed my friend's X7 M60i on Saturday and within a couple hours I was getting errors that my phone was too hot and started over heating. In fact it said that CarPlay would disable Apple Maps because it was making the phone too hot. Eventually the phone went into recovery mode and when I tried to use my Apple Pay at a gas station it wasn't recognized. My Digital Key also stopped working and I wasn't able to open the car either. So both the UWB chip and NFC chip died!

Anyways, Apple phone support was really good and I am going in to Apple Store this afternoon to get a replacement phone, but it's crazy that within just 3-4 hours or driving my phone was broken!!

BTW, I'm on iOS 17.03, so this doesn't fix the problem yet!!

I experienced exactly the same thing as this person:
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...le_wallet_pay/
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #38
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post
This just happened to me this afternoon. I normally drive an iX, and always use the wireless charging and I had no problem with my iPhone 15 Max Pro overheating, but I borrowed my friend's X7 M60i on Saturday and within a couple hours I was getting errors that my phone was too hot and started over heating. In fact it said that CarPlay would disable Apple Maps because it was making the phone too hot. Eventually the phone went into recovery mode and when I tried to use my Apple Pay at a gas station it wasn't recognized. My Digital Key also stopped working and I wasn't able to open the car either. So both the UWB chip and NFC chip died!

Anyways, Apple phone support was really good and I am going in to Apple Store this afternoon to get a replacement phone, but it's crazy that within just 3-4 hours or driving my phone was broken!!

My phone was only on the wireless charger for 10 minutes before it nuked.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:33 PM   #39
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post

Mine was also on that update and lasted about one hour before it went into meltdown mode. Waiting for BMW and Apple updates and even then I doubt I'll ever use that charging pad again.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:48 PM   #40
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

Apple just put out iOS 17.1.1. Specifically addresses bmw / iPhone nfc issues. See you tube video just posted.

https://youtu.be/fmEYcboxFFE?si=PGI0mcEIIMRTgVHa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #41
chlinthi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i, 2024 X7 x40i

Has anyone tried adding a little cooling fan that could plug into the USB-A connector there to cycle cooler air through the pocket area where the wireless charging mat is?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #42
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonromance View Post

I just put my phone in the door. I rarely need it while driving so just stow it in the door. Heck my 2022 doesn't even have wireless charging and I still don't place my phone there in the middle haha
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #43
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

Quote:
That just gives you an option for a reminder that you left your phone in there. Which I used to have turned on, and yet I never got a reminder... I don't think there's any way to turn off the charging pad.
i have a very old iphone X and when i turn off my engine, the car always dings and reminds me that my phone is in the charge tray. Maybe need to get it looked at by the dealership if you want it to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 04:31 PM   #44
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Has anyone tried wireless charger after 7.1 release? Is it safe to use?
Appreciate 0