BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Sport Mode Options

05-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #23
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I have the android app, and I do not see the option for Sport + mode? Would someone be able to snap a pic on your phone. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
TaytoX740.00
      05-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #24
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I have the android app, and I do not see the option for Sport + mode? Would someone be able to snap a pic on your phone. Thanks!
You need to use "Expert Mode" in the Body Domain Controller (BDC) and Head Unit (HU) modules in the car to change a few parameters in each to get Sport+ working. I am not sure if the Bimmercode developer will ever add these features to the non-Expert mode of Bimmercode though.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #25
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
I have a '19 50i and it does not have sport plus.
Same.

That was a 2020 feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #26
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Throttle response is the biggest noticable difference. Also puts the traction into sport mode, becomes more proactive about cooling, updates exhaust, etc.
Sport+ on the current lineup does not affect DSC, and it does not affect cooling at all. Cooling requirements are based off engine parameters and ambient temperatures, not driving mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
After having the X5 for a few days, here is what worked best for me:

Sport Individual:
Engine: Sport Plus (better throttle response and max boost available)
Transmission: Sport (shift points in transmission just right, Sport + was too twitchy for me)
Suspension: Comfort (because the roads where I am suck and I have a sports car if I want a stiff ride on the street)
Steering: Comfort (since I prefer a lighter steering feel since this is an SUV after all; Sport+ made the X5 feel really heavy, I even use Comfort in my M3 for the same reason)
Driving modes have no affect on boost, outside of how it relates to throttle input. Pedal on the floor means pedal on the floor, so you will be able to see full boost in any driving mode.

Quote:
Three basic reasons....

1) I am not really interested in what the tech offers. IMHO, the X7 is already a very good handling SUV at slow or high speeds. If I want really "tight" handling performance, I am fortunate to have another car for that (my M3). For a SUV, I want a more luxurious ride. My point of reference regarding SUV handling is my Ford Expedition EL (which I have owned for the last 10 years) so the X7 is an obvious significant improvement in the handling category. I can parallel park my Expedition and maneuver it in small parking lots (think Metro train lots), so I know I won't have any issues with the X7.

2) Complexity of the tech. The DHP and the air suspension are the only tech options that worry me from a long term reliability perspective - I suspect they will be very expensive to deal with if they break compared to other tech in the car. I plan to keep the X7 for the long haul. Past SUV air suspension systems from all car makers have had their issues. But at least air suspensions have been around a while so I am "betting on the come" that BMW has improved the overall reliability of the air suspension system. DHP tech is very new, however, so admittedly I don't trust it as much. For starters, only the dealership has the tools to do a basic 4-wheel alignment on a DHP equipped X7.

3) Cost. IMHO, It is a very expensive option for what you get. Even for an expensive luxury SUV like the X7, the cost/benefit of the DHP option does not sit well with me.

A bit over the top from an analysis standpoint, but my modest OCD can't help it .
One of the most important factors of the DHP is that you can have a stiffer ride when you want it, and a softer ride when you want it. DHP doesn't mean stiffer ride. If anything, Comfort with DHP rides better than Comfort without DHP.

DHP tech also isn't very new. The only thing that's new is with the X5/X6, the change from hydraulic ARS to electric ARS, which should prove to be more reliable. Bigger brakes, M Sport diff, rear wheel steering, and the Active Comfort Drive w/ Road Preview fanciness have been around for some time now.

I'm not trying to force you to like it, just clarifying a bit here. I agree it does make alignments a bit more complicated, and it most certainly isn't a cheap option.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Driving modes have no affect on boost, outside of how it relates to throttle input. Pedal on the floor means pedal on the floor, so you will be able to see full boost in any driving mode.
Not true, at least based on what I know about the F80 M3 (which I own) as that was my frame of reference. In addition to changing the throttle mapping in each mode, the parameters of the boost control in the car change to affect how the boost comes on depending on the driving mode AND pedal position. So while full throttle will always be full power/boost, regardless of drive mode, at part throttle (which is where we spend the overwhelming majority of our time), the engine response for the driver will be different depending on the driving mode. On the M3, you can actually hear an audible difference in part throttle depending on the drive mode, specifically the boost noise is very apparent in Sport+, not so much in Sport and non-existent in Efficient (which is equivalent to Eco in non M-cars). All that being said, as this X5 (and now the X7 that I own) are not M-cars, the drive mode logic/programming for the M-cars vs non M-cars could be different. But based on my experience with my M3, that X5 loaner and my experience with my X7, it seems like the programing logic is basically the same (albeit with different engines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
of the most important factors of the DHP is that you can have a stiffer ride when you want it, and a softer ride when you want it. DHP doesn't mean stiffer ride. If anything, Comfort with DHP rides better than Comfort without DHP.

DHP tech also isn't very new. The only thing that's new is with the X5/X6, the change from hydraulic ARS to electric ARS, which should prove to be more reliable. Bigger brakes, M Sport diff, rear wheel steering, and the Active Comfort Drive w/ Road Preview fanciness have been around for some time now.

I'm not trying to force you to like it, just clarifying a bit here. I agree it does make alignments a bit more complicated, and it most certainly isn't a cheap option.
So for this, maybe I should have said "more common/widespread technology" vice "new technology". While this tech is not new, it is not that common place among vehicles on the road today. The more common the tech is, in general the more reliable it is and easier/less expensive to get fixed if it breaks. An example would be anti-lock brakes. There was a time when this tech was new and only found on high end cars - and like all new tech, it had some growing pains. But now anti-lock brakes is pretty much standard on every car produced now - from an econo box to to the most high end luxury vehicle. And the reliability of your typical ABS is pretty high now as it has been refined over the years (even though the cost to repair a Porsche ABS system will still be more than a Hyndai - more so because of the name, not the difficulty of the tech).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #28
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Not true, at least based on what I know about the F80 M3 (which I own) as that was my frame of reference. In addition to changing the throttle mapping in each mode, the parameters of the boost control in the car change to affect how the boost comes on depending on the driving mode AND pedal position. So while full throttle will always be full power/boost, regardless of drive mode, at part throttle (which is where we spend the overwhelming majority of our time), the engine response for the driver will be different depending on the driving mode. On the M3, you can actually hear an audible difference in part throttle depending on the drive mode, specifically the boost noise is very apparent in Sport+, not so much in Sport and non-existent in Efficient (which is equivalent to Eco in non M-cars). All that being said, as this X5 (and now the X7 that I own) are not M-cars, the drive mode logic/programming for the M-cars vs non M-cars could be different. But based on my experience with my M3, that X5 loaner and my experience with my X7, it seems like the programing logic is basically the same (albeit with different engines).
So, without going too too deep into this...this is the best way I've found to describe all of this.

Considering these cars are drive-by-wire and don't use a throttle body to control engine response, the gas pedal no longer controls how much throttle you're giving the engine. It's a means for the driver to tell the car how much he or she wants to accelerate.

This being the case, what happens to the gas pedal/engine when you switch driving modes is the car increases its sensitivity to what it does in relation to how much you're pressing the pedal. In Sport and Sport+ modes, it just ramps up how aggressively the engine responds to your inputs earlier in the pedal travel. There's little to no magic beyond that. Like you said, you don't get more power outright, you just get power sooner.

What you're explaining is effectively what's happening and what I'm saying, but it's not a matter of changing throttle mapping and changing boost control. Boost control is affected by the change in throttle mapping. By making the engine more sensitive to your inputs, it's more likely to build boost earlier, not because of any boost controlling, but because the pedal's sensitivity is higher.

Quote:
So for this, maybe I should have said "more common/widespread technology" vice "new technology". While this tech is not new, it is not that common place among vehicles on the road today. The more common the tech is, in general the more reliable it is and easier/less expensive to get fixed if it breaks. An example would be anti-lock brakes. There was a time when this tech was new and only found on high end cars - and like all new tech, it had some growing pains. But now anti-lock brakes is pretty much standard on every car produced now - from an econo box to to the most high end luxury vehicle. And the reliability of your typical ABS is pretty high now as it has been refined over the years (even though the cost to repair a Porsche ABS system will still be more than a Hyndai - more so because of the name, not the difficulty of the tech).
Totally fair, I agree with you on that. In the grand scheme of things, you really don't see rear wheel steering and ARS on many cars at all. Fortunately those are both electric now, which gets rid of all the pumps, valves, lines, fluids, seals, etc., so now you just have electric motors and power supplied to them, which should greatly affect reliability. The rest of the DHP upgrades are cherry though...bigger brakes and torque vectoring diffs.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #29
SeanX7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive 50i

Hi guys! I am new to the forum. I currently own a 2019 X7 xDrive 50i with the M Sport Package. I am not seeing Sport Plus in my available driving modes although it states its available in the manual. My buddy has a 2019 X5 xDrive 50i base and he has Sport Plus. Has anyone been able to enable this feature via their dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #30
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:
I don't think that is correct. The X5 that I mentioned above did not have the M Sport Package. It was just a regular 40i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Our 2020 x7 40i with m sport does not have sport plus.
They must have changed things then because that's the way it's been in the past. Checking through the 2020 ordering guide for the G05 and G07, they all have 2TB the Sport Automatic Transmission standard so that can't be the reason.

jmciver Do you happen to know the options that loaner had, see if we can figure out what may have had added it? The only suspension things I can see that you can do differently with the G05 40i non M Sport is the Air Suspension and then adding Integral Active Steering.

Mbbrewer What additional options does yours have besides ZMP?
My 2019 X5 40i luxury has sport plus. I have the Off-road Package which includes the M-sport differential and air suspension.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #31
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Thanks for the great info. Just to confirm, even without DHP, are you able to adjust the suspension setting? I test drove 2020 M50i without DHP and with a press of button, the suspension of the car seemed a bit stiffer - is this controlled through air suspension?

Quote:
I don't have an X7 (yet) but I recently had a loaner X5 40i and played around with all of those settings as my assumption is that they are the same on the X7 40i. Also, my '17 M3 has those settings so I have some familiarity with how they are setup.

First, the Sport settings allow you to change parameters for the engine, transmission, suspension and steering. The options for each are: Sport Plus, Sport and Comfort. When you press the Sport button on the center console, if you choose "Sport" you will have default sport settings for the engine, suspension, transmission and steering - what BMW assumes the "average" person will want for a "sporty ride". If you choose "Sport Individual" you will have the option to customize the settings for each component listed above. You must select Sport Individual Customize to see the menu to change each of those parameters. Then when you select Sport Individual, the car will use the Sport settings you customized.

After having the X5 for a few days, here is what worked best for me:

Sport Individual:
Engine: Sport Plus (better throttle response and max boost available)
Transmission: Sport (shift points in transmission just right, Sport + was too twitchy for me)
Suspension: Comfort (because the roads where I am suck and I have a sports car if I want a stiff ride on the street)
Steering: Comfort (since I prefer a lighter steering feel since this is an SUV after all; Sport+ made the X5 feel really heavy, I even use Comfort in my M3 for the same reason)

The customization is great and a few steps better than my M3. You have similar customization in the Eco settings as well. Although, I put the X5 in Eco mode and all of the settings made the X5 feel like complete mush, and I am sure the X7 would feel worse. But, YMMV.....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #32
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Thanks for the great info. Just to confirm, even without DHP, are you able to adjust the suspension setting? I test drove 2020 M50i without DHP and with a press of button, the suspension of the car seemed a bit stiffer - is this controlled through air suspension?
Yep with DHP, you'll still get the benefit of electronic damping control through DEC on X7s with standard air suspension. What you're not getting are the electronic active roll stabilization bars, IAS and Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview.

Pressing any of the Driving Experience Control (Comfort, Sport, Adaptive) switches adjust the Electronic Damper Controls (EDC) and 2-axle air suspension level.

Selecting DEC Sport will lower the air suspension to Sport level (-40mm) and adjust EDC to sportier damping characteristics.

DEC Comfort will adjust the air suspension to Normal level and EDC to comfort damping characteristics.

DEC Adaptive will adjust the air suspension to Normal level and EDC adaptive based on your driving style and route - will switch between Comfort or Sport EDC begins the scenes.

With DEC Comfort or Adaptive, you can adjust the 2-level air suspension to Sport level.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #33
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Big thank you so much!! I am almost leaning towards not ordering DHP given how good the standard suspension felt on M50i. My 2015 X5 felt awful, floaty with base suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Yep with DHP, you'll still get the benefit of electronic damping control through DEC on X7s with standard air suspension. What you're not getting are the electronic active roll stabilization bars, IAS and Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview.

Pressing any of the Driving Experience Control (Comfort, Sport, Adaptive) switches adjust the Electronic Damper Controls (EDC) and 2-axle air suspension level.

Selecting DEC Sport will lower the air suspension to Sport level (-40mm) and adjust EDC to sportier damping characteristics.

DEC Comfort will adjust the air suspension to Normal level and EDC to comfort damping characteristics.

DEC Adaptive will adjust the air suspension to Normal level and EDC adaptive based on your driving style and route - will switch between Comfort or Sport EDC begins the scenes.

With DEC Comfort or Adaptive, you can adjust the 2-level air suspension to Sport level.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #34
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Big thank you so much!! I am almost leaning towards not ordering DHP given how good the standard suspension felt on M50i. My 2015 X5 felt awful, floaty with base suspension.
Note Driving Experience Controls also adjust other aspects of the vehicle such as:

- Engine characteristics
- Steptronic transmission
- Adaptive chassis (mentioned)
- Air-suspension (mentioned)
- Steering
- Integral Active Steering (if optioned)
- Display in the instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure SPORT Individual which you can activate using the DEC SPORT button, for example:

Damping: Comfort / Sport
Steering: Comfort / Sport
Engine: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus
Transmission: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #35
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:

Quote:

I drove a 2019 X7 50i without DHP for many months before I got my M50i with DHP. Your experience is going to be great either way, but I will tell you that the DHP makes a big difference in the overall quality of ride and handling characteristics. I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56247.50
      07-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #36
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I drove a 2019 X7 50i without DHP for many months before I got my M50i with DHP. Your experience is going to be great either way, but I will tell you that the DHP makes a big difference in the overall quality of ride and handling characteristics. I highly recommend it.
Wish I can find a car with and without around here... This will be for my wife and her biggest complaint is feeling "floaty" after hitting a bump or uneven roads. I thought I recall reading that feeling of "floatiness" existed in comfort mode with and without DHP but I may have misread.

Our X5 also displayed body roll during turns. Hopefully M50i with it's "M" suspension setup would be better than what we had in our X5 (2015 50i with base suspension).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #37
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wish I can find a car with and without around here... This will be for my wife and her biggest complaint is feeling "floaty" after hitting a bump or uneven roads. I thought I recall reading that feeling of "floatiness" existed in comfort mode with and without DHP but I may have misread.

Our X5 also displayed body roll during turns. Hopefully M50i with it's "M" suspension setup would be better than what we had in our X5 (2015 50i with base suspension).

Thanks
The most noticeable part of DHP for me is the IAS. It makes the car feel much more agile IMO. It feels like body roll is reduced somewhat compared to the 50i I use to drive, but like the road preview feature, it's hard to quantify. I find that sport modes reduce body roll the right amount for my taste. Comfort mode is floaty, but it doesn't bother me. It's so damn smooth that I enjoy it around the city as it absorbs all the chewed up roads where I live. You get the floatiness in comfort with and without DHP from my experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #38
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
Note Driving Experience Controls also adjust other aspects of the vehicle such as:

- Engine characteristics
- Steering
- Cruise control

You can configure SPORT Individual which you can activate using the DEC SPORT button, for example:

I really, really miss having Sport+ mode for steering on my 2020 M50i. I had it on my X5M and just love the really heavy steering feel. Sport is okay but not the same, I was surprised to see they only offer Sport+ on 2 of the 4 options.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #39
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Quote:

- Engine characteristics
- Steering
- Cruise control

I really, really miss having Sport+ mode for steering on my 2020 M50i. I had it on my X5M and just love the really heavy steering feel. Sport is okay but not the same, I was surprised to see they only offer Sport+ on 2 of the 4 options.
Sorry not following ... you don't have Sport+ on your M50i or did I misunderstand?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #40
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- Engine characteristics
- Steering
- Cruise control

Sorry not following ... you don't have Sport+ on your M50i or did I misunderstand?
He was wishing that Sport Plus steering driving dynamics was also available on non-///M models versus only Comfort and Sport.

Configuring SPORT Individual, Sport Plus option is only available for engine and transmission driving dynamics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #41
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
He was wishing that Sport Plus steering driving dynamics was also available on non-///M models versus only Comfort and Sport.

Configuring SPORT Individual, Sport Plus option is only available for engine and transmission driving dynamics.
Thank you - exactly. I want my sport customized mode to be able to allow me to select sport+ for steering which it does not.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #42
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you - exactly. I want my sport customized mode to be able to allow me to select sport+ for steering which it does not.
Got it ... missed the steering part
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #43
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Sport Plus for everything probably can be coded... I know you can code Sport Plus for engine and transmission. I have been meaning to try it, just have not got around to it yet.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #44
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:

Oh dang, it doesn't? Gonna miss that from my M3.
Appreciate 0