BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Front and rear cameras panning

03-22-2024, 05:25 PM   #1
HolaHola
Rep
Drives: x7 m50i

Front and rear cameras panning

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
2021 x7 m50i. Yesterday I was executing a three point turn on my driveway. For the first time ever, the front and rear cameras panned while I turned the wheel. Not the guide lines which have always panned. The actual camera itself. Today they are not doing it anymore. Anyone ever notice anything similar? It was neat would love to replicate the functionality but I did nothing new or out of the ordinary to enable it or disable it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:08 PM   #2
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Mine always does it. No idea what might be wrong with yours, good luck.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 10:13 PM   #3
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

What???
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:53 AM   #4
HolaHola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
What???
If you throw it in reverse, the back up cam appears. When you turn the wheel the camera pans?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:27 AM   #5
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaHola View Post
If you throw it in reverse, the back up cam appears. When you turn the wheel the camera pans?
Mine does this too, 2021 MY....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:27 AM   #6
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
The front and rear cameras are definitely fixed, so I’m not sure how they would “pan”. I have a ‘22 XB7 and have never noticed any panning. The moving guide lines may be producing an optical illusion for you guys…?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 10:27 AM   #7
HolaHola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
The front and rear cameras are definitely fixed, so I’m not sure how they would “pan”. I have a ‘22 XB7 and have never noticed any panning. The moving guide lines may be producing an optical illusion for you guys…?
No optical illusion here. Been driving this car for over two years and do the same turn out of my garage every time I leave and come home. It was so surprising and obvious to see the cameras pan that I called my wife out to look, she also has a 2021 x7 and agreed she hadn’t ever seen that before. I turned the wheel around watching the camera pan across the driveway for over a minute and liked it. I attributed it to the 11.2023 update which I recently installed, but then it stopped again! It’s the strangest thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:10 AM   #8
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I just tested it. And yes, the front and back cameras' images follow the steering wheel direction.

The important aspect here is that the cameras themselves don't move, but the image they take does. My understanding is that the cameras capture wide angle video, but only the center part of it is shown on display by default when the steering wheel is straight. As I turn the steering wheel, the other parts of the image get shown on the screen accordingly. This is a nice feature to be honest.

The only problem is that when I start the engine and put the car in reverse, the feature doesn't work right away. I need to put the car in drive and drive forward for it to be activated. So it looks like the feature is specifically designed for the 3 point turn.

Another issue I'm facing is the camera view doesn't switch automatically from rear to front when I switch from reverse to drive. I need to turn off the parking assistant and then turn it back on manually. Does anyone have the same problem?

Last edited by sharp; 03-24-2024 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:51 PM   #9
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
I stand corrected! Apologies for jumping the gun. I’ve had this car for over 2 years and had no idea!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:32 PM   #10
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
I just tested it. And yes, the front and back cameras' images follow the steering wheel direction.

The important aspect here is that the cameras themselves don't move, but the image they take does. My understanding is that the cameras capture wide angle video, but only the center part of it is shown on display by default when the steering wheel is straight. As I turn the steering wheel, the other parts of the image get shown on the screen accordingly. This is a nice feature to be honest.

The only problem is that when I start the engine and put the car in reverse, the feature doesn't work right away. I need to put the car in drive and drive forward for it to be activated. So it looks like the feature is specifically designed for the 3 point turn.

Another issue I'm facing is the camera view doesn't switch automatically from rear to front when I switch from reverse to drive. I need to turn off the parking assistant and then turn it back on manually. Does anyone have the same problem?

Mine switches by itself. But... My first two X7's switched as soon as you put it from D into R. My 2024 will not switch until you go from D into R and then start to move. Little annoyance but it does bother me...
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
ledphut161.50
      03-25-2024, 09:10 AM   #11
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

The reverse-drive auto switch is a US specific thing, it works in the rest of the world. On US cars (pre-LCI) you can enable that feature with coding. Pretty sure BimmerCode can't do it, you need a full tool like BimmerUtility.

Here's the code: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693207

Some people reported that it took a week or more for the feature to start working after they coded it. Mine took effect immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
I need to turn off the parking assistant and then turn it back on manually.
Or you can use the iDrive knob to select the auto view (on the right side of the screen where you can select rear or side views, there's an A view in the center) which will also do it.
Appreciate 2
sharp100.50
      03-25-2024, 02:33 PM   #12
HolaHola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
The reverse-drive auto switch is a US specific thing, it works in the rest of the world. On US cars (pre-LCI) you can enable that feature with coding. Pretty sure BimmerCode can't do it, you need a full tool like BimmerUtility.

Here's the code: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693207

Some people reported that it took a week or more for the feature to start working after they coded it. Mine took effect immediately.

Or you can use the iDrive knob to select the auto view (on the right side of the screen where you can select rear or side views, there's an A view in the center) which will also do it.
YES!!!! This is it!!! Wow I had no idea, thank you!!! When I hit the camera with the A it works, jeez can’t believe I didn’t notice this before. Thank you thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:22 PM   #13
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Thank you, that works as you described! I still don't understand why BMW wants us to enable the feature manually while the rest of the world gets it out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:10 PM   #14
FlyEagle1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 Alpina XB7 Green

Thanks to the group for the heads up! Used this repeatedly today-love it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #15
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

My 2023 X7 doesn’t do that, is there any setting to enable?
Appreciate 0